JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah, um you weren't asking me to clarify anything, if anything you were calling ultralight backpacking stupid, maybe not directly, but it was implied. listen, i'm not going to tell you that you are doing your hobbies the wrong way or that (if you like to shoot at the range) throwing 1000 rounds down range is a waste of time and money. I'm not going to tell anyone that. and i'm also not trying to be some kind of Ultralight elitist or anything, I was simply trying to keep things on topic. i was trying to get ideas and suggestions for "ultralight", not "light enough". In other words, i want to minimize the amount of stuff i bring with me on a trip, this does not mean that i will bring thing purely for the utility of the item, but rather for the weight savings. this may at times mean a sacrifice in utility, but that is the sport.

edit: also, I'm not looking to go backpacking for two days, i want to take a 50-60L bag and go backpacking for 2 weeks, that is where ultralight backpacking becomes more difficult to plan for but it is also where you will get the most benefit from doing it correctly.

well then...that's all you had to say...im not bringing anything...light enough for ya?

calling it stupid to ask that you clarify what you consider to be ultralight is effing stupid...this is a SURVIVAL forum, packing out a deer might happen for me...maybe you should visit a BACKPACKING for two days forum...

Wow. Y'all are getting a little uptight don't ya think? Btw just picked up the platypus water system yesterday. 8L and weighs (without water) about 11oz. This will replace both my existing pump, water bottle, and hydration pack. What did YOU do to ultralight today?

.!. :)

This is also an idea i have been investigating, by DIY gear I assume you are talking about improvised equipment? For instance, i was thinking about replacing my my jet boil stove with a soda can stove, but not for all hikes just a select few where ULTRAlight is the focus, like hikes with very large elevation gains

Wow. Y'all are getting a little uptight don't ya think? Btw just picked up the platypus water system yesterday. 8L and weighs (without water) about 11oz. This will replace both my existing pump, water bottle, and hydration pack. What did YOU do to ultralight today?

.!. :)

today, nothing yet, but yesterday I tossed my big sub zero sleeping bag and added a very compact mummy and made a fleece liner for it. This should give me all the warmth I will need in the summer/fall months and possibly even into the spring. and it cut my sleeping bag weight in half : )

On the DIY - There are several sites on how to make your own tent, backpack, etc.
But the one thing I saw - Just different ideas on how to approach a problem. Making items that fit your needs

Like the one who used his walking poles for shelter poles, Different ways of configuring a sil net tarp depending on temp conditions. So that was an excellanr example of ultra light camping

I am probably paranoid about water having been in a couple of real bad situations and not wanting to go there again ( At least being more prepared). Put a solar still to work. So that is a hot spot for me.

the more i read about tarp shelters, the more i consider it a viable summer option, maybe i'll pick up a waterproof sleeping bag cover

I've been thinking along these lines too, but to be honest I'm not excited about sleeping on the bare ground, laying my $200 ultralight sleeping bag on it, or being crawled on by buggies. Since the fall of last year I've been toying with the idea of using a hammock system this season but haven't made the jump yet. So far, my shelter is still my heaviest item but usually is split with another person so not as bad. Still, a hammock with a siltarp seems like a VERY nice option. I plan to buy a cheap $20 hammock and try it out to see if I can actually sleep a full night in it. Then, if it seems viable then I'll go after bug nets and the rainfly stuff.

the more i read about tarp shelters, the more i consider it a viable summer option, maybe i'll pick up a waterproof sleeping bag cover

i love a tarp shelter set up...used the kelty noah's tarp for a while, but on a real hard rain youll get a fine mist coming through so i switched to an integral designs siltarp 3...i also like that when things go "bump" in the night you can see whats out there, and youre not trapped inside a tent...oh and why are my comments being policed? did i hurt someones feelings? you guys are awfully thin-skinned for claiming to be gun-toting survivalists...

One things I learn - if you go minimalist and use a tarp type system - I bought a mosquito netting enclosure to keep the buggers off . I got at REI - Mumbai Something or another. NOthing worse that being eaten alive. if it is clear out - just hang it from a sky hook.

In the summer time - the last tiem I was on Mt Adams in August at 10000 ft - Think it got down to 40 at night. I drapped my light weight bag over me vs actually using it as a bag. I am thinking you can get away pertty light in the summer. Better than sweating in a bag

Gunslinger -Did not realize your comments were being policed . It would be hard for us to tell - since we do not know when you post. May be it is the normal moderators just doin gtheir job. Or in a conspiracy way - MAybe you are on the list.

One things I learn - if you go minimalist and use a tarp type system - I bought a mosquito netting enclosure to keep the buggers off . I got at REI - Mumbai Something or another. NOthing worse that being eaten alive. if it is clear out - just hang it from a sky hook.

In the summer time - the last tiem I was on Mt Adams in August at 10000 ft - Think it got down to 40 at night. I drapped my light weight bag over me vs actually using it as a bag. I am thinking you can get away pertty light in the summer. Better than sweating in a bag

Gunslinger -Did not realize your comments were being policed . It would be hard for us to tell - since we do not know when you post. May be it is the normal moderators just doin gtheir job. Or in a conspiracy way - MAybe you are on the list.

good thinking with the bug netting, and this is a good time for me to try out the tarp system as recommended (wore out my old tent and was about to buy a new one), hopefully the tarps will work for my needs.

the op knows....im sure i made "the list" a while ago... :D everyones so damn sensitive

just trying to keep the thread strictly on topic :)

Try this web site I have it listed as Homemade Outdoo gear
It is a compilation of ideas and may be different vendors
HOMEMADE OUTDOOR GEAR

it has ideas on light weight tents/ tarps, Fire methods

May not be DIY - But it may be companies you will not find at your big box store or REI.

good thinking with the bug netting, and this is a good time for me to try out the tarp system as recommended (wore out my old tent and was about to buy a new one), hopefully the tarps will work for my needs.

just trying to keep the thread strictly on topic :)

what tarp did you get?!? i got a siltarp 3 just the other day...ill be trying it out this weekend and let you know how it goes...

good link, there is a store i can buy some rain-proof materials from in corvallis, since i'll be there shortly i think i'll at least price out what it would cost to build a tarp tent :)

Try this web site I have it listed as Homemade Outdoo gear
It is a compilation of ideas and may be different vendors
HOMEMADE OUTDOOR GEAR

it has ideas on light weight tents/ tarps, Fire methods

May not be DIY - But it may be companies you will not find at your big box store or REI.

good link, there is a store i can buy some rain-proof materials from in corvallis, since i'll be there shortly i think i'll at least price out what it would cost to build a tarp tent :)

i did the math myself as well...about 2 bucks a linear foot for silnylon for a 6 foot width...that would require a 24 ft piece to make a 12 x 12 tarp...thats 50 bucks right there...now all you have to do is make a near perfect waterproof seam, reinforce all the corners, and put guy-out points every couple feet and a few on the top....i just elected to leave it up to the pros and pay the extra 75 bucks

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top