Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

ultra sonic cleaning

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by williamcjones1988, Apr 8, 2012.

1. williamcjones1988

williamcjones1988 Portland, OR Member

So I'm considering buying an ultra sonic clean for cleaning my handguns and ar bolts and extra. So has anyone done this before thoughts tips

2. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

I use ultrasonic cleaning at work. There is no standard for the power delivered, so there is no simple answer about the potential damage to the parts being cleaned. But know this: sonication works by acoustic cavitation, which means creating bubbles and then collapsing them with great force. It's an extremely powerful and erosive effect, which will quickly eat away at soft metals like aluminum.

Low-power cleaners like those used for jewelry ought to be okay for gun parts, but keep the exposure time short and inspect the parts for pitting or rounding-off of corners. Personally, I wouldn't do it to my guns.

3. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

I have one I purchased from Harbor Freight, Chicago Brand, approximately $70.00 or so. Using distilled water and vinegar(look up the type of vinegar)it performs well. Some primer holes took manual cleaning, but this was pretty old shot ammo. All these brass shells, .45ACP. Takes awhile and you may have to do shells over and over depending on the age residue of the shot stuff. The shells came out nice and clean, and shiny. I like it better then tumbling ...Spad

4. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Brass is pretty tough stuff, like all copper alloys. My suppressor came with instructions that said to not use an ultrasonic cleaner - it has aluminum internals.

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I know several people you clean their pistols like this. Biggest thing it make sure you get everything oiled after