JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I published this it was about in the community or urban settings. My thought process was which would draw less attention not which was better or not and if I am going to find myself in a firefight as if I had been deployed to the sandbox or some other hostile situation. What got me thinking was a friend who just got back from there and needing to remind himself that walking out the door with an AR15 tossing it in his truck was not a good idea, it got a lot of attention and folks running in their houses, neighbors that he knows. But he walks out the front door with his 357lever and they all speak to him and wave to him LOL.
In my normal neck of the woods, folks packing a wood stocked long gun isn't a big deal, in fact, it's pretty normal, as is an open carried pistol of some type, and if you carry a single action, especially attention worthy, as in you must know what your doing to put your faith in such a piece!

Some of us trained to the point where it no longer matters what we choose to carry, but being effective with it in any situation you find your self in!
My normal carry rifle is a nice mid 50s Sporter Bolt action fed with stripper clips! It's classy, dosnt get noticed by the average non gun folks, and appreciated by those who know what it is! I also open carry said single action wheel gun, but usually have a back up 1911 double stack hidden inside the waste band! :cool:

More often as not, folks will be seen carrying some sort of lever action on a sling, or the front seat of their pickups! It's just the way of things there! Our local watering hole has a rifle rack at the end of the bar, and it's usually full!

Perception is a funny thing.
When camping , hiking , scouting or hunting with my Hawken Rifle....
Folks seem a bit more relaxed and unfazed , when they notice me and my rifle...
Then when I do the same with a modern rifle or shotgun.

As for the notion that a lever gun isn't any good for use as a defensive firearm...
I'd just say , that if the firearm used , stopped the threat , then it makes for a good defensive firearm.

Sure some guns are "better suited" for some purposes over others...
But if what you have works for you....then that is all that matters.
In my case , I shoot my Winchester model 94 carbine well enough to feel comfortable for its use in a defensive role.
Andy

Kinda funny and Ironic, but I was just having this discussion with the Old Man, and he pointed out that I am well known to carry a semi auto rifle in the woods and a bolt in urban wilds! I hadn't really thought about it till now, but unless I'm actually hunting, this is true!
For hunting, I run the gammot with long guns, depends on the area, the distance and the animal! For urban, the animals are all the same!:confused:

Without question, BUT:

How many armies have gone back to levers, since other options now exist?

P
hes-right-you-waecco.jpg

But can you operate that lever gun one-handed? Can you fire multiple shots while dragging a buddy to safety, or opening a door, or grabbing something off the ground? Do you have 30 rounds available before you have to reload? And can you replenish your ammo in under 3 seconds?

Watch the Kenosha Kid video, in which he was under attack from multiple goblins, then try to imagine how it would have turned out if he had a 5-shot lever gun.

Yes
Possibly
No
Sort of as the loading gate allows topping off after every shot.

I'm not arguing that the lever is a better fighting gun than an auto loader. My point was simply that firing a lever in the prone position isnt nearly as difficult as the internet makes it out to be.
I've trained quite a bit with the AR platform on the taxpayers expense and have real world life or death experience with it in Iraq. I know what I can do with an AR but here where I live I dont feel undergunned with a lever action. If I was going back to clearing houses I'd for sure want an AR over a levergun.

It's not just 30 rounds at your disposal.
It's also the 5.56 round.

100 of witch weight no more than100 rounds of 9mm ammo.
And each produces some 1,200 foot pounds of energy.

A nice balance of weight and power that .357 and .44 Magnum carbines would be hard put to mach.

And for the record I own and enjoy many lever guns.
But some day. I may need to run out the door with all the ammo I will ever have on my back.
Ammo weight...the ultimate downfall of the "Survival Shotgun"....I mean, ever lug 8-10 boxes of 12 ga. around?
I did it ONCE, uphill, for 6-7 blocks.
Never again.
When I read the title, the first thing that came to mind was an old Star Z-70 sub-machine gun.
Basically, a Spanish STEN gun with select fire and built-in folding stock.
...however...a .357 lever gun, like a Rossi R92 or an 1894 Marlin, would be a very useful arm, as well. :s0155:

Dean

My LGS has had one sitting there for a couple of weeks in .45 Colt and I really, really want it. Their price is $799, which I thought was ridiculous. Until I went online to try and find one cheaper. Nope. They are $1000+ on GB.

Was thinking I would use the Covid relief money to pick it up, but that's been put on hold, so might have to find another creative solution.

You have any issue with yours?
I'm sending Dads back to Henry... It LOVES 44special, which is great especially with the can... it's nice and smooth... But load it up with 44 mag and it's a beatch to cycle.
This makes 2 of his 3 Henrys that were dysfunctional out of the box.
Had extraction issues with the Henry 22 mag.
The .357 big boy is just fine though...
9ADBAD74-7D17-43D3-B2A4-0056EA7B39EB.jpeg

You have any issue with yours?
I'm sending Dads back to Henry... It LOVES 44special, which is great especially with the can... it's nice and smooth... But load it up with 44 mag and it's a beatch to cycle.
This makes 2 of his 3 Henrys that were dysfunctional out of the box.
Had extraction issues with the Henry 22 mag.
The .357 big boy is just fine though...
View attachment 796920
Not this one. My .357 had the issue many years ago, was the spring in the tube causing excessive pressure.

The second choice or maybe first on the Urban Carbine is my AR9 with subsonic 147's.
When it comes to compact and stealth, this is hard to beat.

The second choice or maybe first on the Urban Carbine is my AR9 with subsonic 147's.
When it comes to compact and stealth, this is hard to beat.
Yep. Going on a road trip down to Arizona in a couple of months and will be packing my Extar EP-9 in the suitcase so I can bring it into the hotel room every night.

In my normal neck of the woods, folks packing a wood stocked long gun isn't a big deal, in fact, it's pretty normal, as is an open carried pistol of some type, and if you carry a single action, especially attention worthy, as in you must know what your doing to put your faith in such a piece!

Some of us trained to the point where it no longer matters what we choose to carry, but being effective with it in any situation you find your self in!
My normal carry rifle is a nice mid 50s Sporter Bolt action fed with stripper clips! It's classy, dosnt get noticed by the average non gun folks, and appreciated by those who know what it is! I also open carry said single action wheel gun, but usually have a back up 1911 double stack hidden inside the waste band! :cool:

More often as not, folks will be seen carrying some sort of lever action on a sling, or the front seat of their pickups! It's just the way of things there! Our local watering hole has a rifle rack at the end of the bar, and it's usually full!
Not sure where you live, but I sure hope to move there or somewhere like it someday soon. Sounds like my wife and my dream town. Unfortunately we are still 2-4 years away.

Here in Portland, carrying a firearm equates to people thinking you are looking for trouble or infringing on their safety. They just don't understand that people who carry are friendy, competent, safety oriented (theirs included), and usually already vetted by law enforcement as one of the good guys. Not to mention that we tend to avoid conflict and are intently aware of our surroundings.

I'm confident your neighborhood has very little crime, and that bar is one of the friendliest (and safest) places around.

I don't live urban, or suburban for that matter. I don't even really live rural (I consider "rural" to be farmland - which is what most people think of when you say rural, but technically "rural" is anything outside of a city or town) - I live on a forested mountain. So carrying firearms, and shooting them, is not frowned on up here - it is common. If I were to carry a lever action carbine for defensive purposes - say because evil black guns were banned - it would be either my .30-30 since it is more powerful and has longer range, or my Rossi .44 carbine (I have more .44 mag ammo than .30-30). My BLR in .308 would be best, but it is not quite a carbine - yet (I have plans for it).

But to the OP one option would be:

This and a 10mm revolver, or a 10mm or .40 semi carried concealed.

A .357 carbine is not bad, along with a S&W TRR8 as a sidearm.

There are a number of viable options.

Not sure where you live, but I sure hope to move there or somewhere like it someday soon. Sounds like my wife and my dream town. Unfortunately we are still 2-4 years away.

Here in Portland, carrying a firearm equates to people thinking you are looking for trouble or infringing on their safety. They just don't understand that people who carry are friendy, competent, safety oriented (theirs included), and usually already vetted by law enforcement as one of the good guys. Not to mention that we tend to avoid conflict and are intently aware of our surroundings.

I'm confident your neighborhood has very little crime, and that bar is one of the friendliest (and safest) places around.
High mountains of Colorado, the closest town is Divide, and it is one of the friendliest and safest places around. It's all ranches, and more then 75% of the population are ex military, and close to 90% vote conservative/Christian. This is a town you don't worry about locking your pickup up, a town where the Sheriff knows everyone by their first name and knows where you live with out map or GPS, and he will get himself reelected each and every time he runs! Crime simply dosnt happen there, you would bring down the very wrath of God himself if you so much as spit on the sidewalks, so you can imagine the what would await you if you committed a actual crime!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top