JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In his book, Boston T. Party says that a handgun is only to be used to get you back to your rifle, which you should have had in the first place. Do you agree with him???

In the case of self-defense against one person or a small group, no - I don't agree with him.

If I have to use my pistol to be able to get to safe ground I will... but I am not going to grab a rifle and get back into the fight. IF I am able to get to safety, then I am done. I will wait for the police and go from there and let the fun (sarcasm) of the investigation begin...

I know I have had thoughts/dreams (and I am sure all of us have at one point in time) where we I was at work and some crazed gunman started shooting and that I was able to, with my pistol, escape the hot zone to my car - to then grab an AR and make my way back into the building to save the hostages, etc, etc....

But - I am not Jack Bauer (thank goodness). As much as I would love to save my co-workers, etc. in the eyes of the courts, etc I can't risk that scenario.... I would use it to ensure safe passage out of the building. *IF* that means neutralizing the suspect thus making everyone safe - so be it. But I will not go room to room hunting someone down...

So, let me see. Criteria is "hand-gun"? How about a
18in bbl Mossberg/Rem pump w/pistol grip in 12 GA.
loaded with 00 buckshot for penetration.
Best short range stopper, Ever.

I know 3 people, that this year(2009), that have actually had to "draw down" on other human beings because they feared for their lives.
These are personal friends of mine, and are all members of this forum.

The first was working in NE PDX and had someone break in to the place where he was working. He had a handgun that was 9mm or less(cant remember if it was 9mm,380, or whatever)
He stated that he had a very un-easy feeling with the smaller caliber in hindsight.

The second carried a Glock in .40 or 45 (again cant remember) and held off some partying punks till the cops arrived(he was getting his daughter out of a bad area)

The third was in an awesome area(high-end subdivision) and likewise had to draw his Glock 22(.40cal) to keep some ruffians in a neighboring house from messing him and his friend up. (non-resident party with 20yr olds) The dudes that were getting ready to surround him saw him pull his gun and hold it low. One noticed the Night-Sights and realized that it was a real gun.
Quick de-escalation.

.45 is what I would, and do choose. I don't want to imagine that I would have been better served by another caliber in hindsight.

I would also say any gun would be better than no gun. Any caliber as long as you have something.

One time my nephew was driving alone in California. He stopped at a red light somewhere and 3 or 4 thugs came up and started threatening him. He had a .22 revolver next to the seat so he just picked it up and held it. When the goons saw it, they suddenly remembered that they had a prior appointment.
Another time, my neighbor was entering his house when a couple of thugs drove up and began to harass him (he lived in the country). Being unarmed, he reached for a club and the first thing he got a hold of was his hunting rifle which was unloaded and setting on the enclosed porch. He was just going to use it like a baseball bat, but the predators, not knowing it was unloaded, decided that that was a good time to go travelling.
Both times, the presence of a gun saved people from what might have become an ugly situation.

Any hit is better than any miss. Whatever you use, you must practice with it and be comfortable with it.

That being said, from most of the reading I've done the highest rated one-shot stopper is the .357 magnum with 125 gr JHP.

I have a book somewhere that was printed during the 1980s in which there is a report of an FBI study proving what handgun calibers and rounds are the best "One-shot stoppers" of human beings. If I can find it, I'll print their top ten. As smonk says, the 125 grain .357 magnum was one of the 10, but I don't recall in which position.

In his book, Boston T. Party says that a handgun is only to be used to get you back to your rifle, which you should have had in the first place. Do you agree with him???

BTP is a windbag. I liked his book and he's right about many things, but it's just one long rant, like you bought a gun nut a case of beer and listened to him opinionate for a few hours while he drank. Everything in his book is black and white - you MUST get this and THAT is junk and so forth.

Anyway...any pistol is a compromise. Virtually all centerfire rifles at 6mm or bigger (larger than .223) deliver better than 2000+ ft lbs of energy at muzzle. That vast majority of concealed carry guns don't deliver more than 20% of that. 9mm and .40S&W and .45ACP are all in the 400-450 ft lbs range. Even .44 Magnum (which is not really a "carry" round) is only 800. You're trading convenience (something you can carry) for power.

Which is not a bad tradeoff by any means. There is no IWB holster for a .308 rifle ;-)

BTP is a windbag. I liked his book and he's right about many things, but it's just one long rant, like you bought a gun nut a case of beer and listened to him opinionate for a few hours while he drank. Everything in his book is black and white - you MUST get this and THAT is junk and so forth.

Anyway...any pistol is a compromise. Virtually all centerfire rifles at 6mm or bigger (larger than .223) deliver better than 2000+ ft lbs of energy at muzzle. That vast majority of concealed carry guns don't deliver more than 20% of that. 9mm and .40S&W and .45ACP are all in the 400-450 ft lbs range. Even .44 Magnum (which is not really a "carry" round) is only 800. You're trading convenience (something you can carry) for power.

Which is not a bad tradeoff by any means. There is no IWB holster for a .308 rifle ;-)

While I enjoyed reading BTP's book, I do not accept it as a "Bible." He calls Rugers: "Trash!" I disagree. I have several Rugers (bought my first one in 1961 and still have it!) and find that they are very dependable. I also have Mel Tappan's book "Survival Guns" and don't agree 100% with him either. But, BOTH books will be in my personal library.

While I enjoyed reading BTP's book, I do not accept it as a "Bible." He calls Rugers: "Trash!" I disagree. I have several Rugers (bought my first one in 1961 and still have it!) and find that they are very dependable.

Yes, one example of many. I love how he has chapter upon chapter of numeric data - complex formulas and spreadsheets by which he "proves" which assault rifle you need...however, all the inputs to these spreadsheets and formulas are his own subjective ratings!

He also is the only author I've ever read who seriously discusses carrying FOUR pistols for daily concealed carry.

I also have Mel Tappan's book "Survival Guns" and don't agree 100% with him either. But, BOTH books will be in my personal library.
Me, too.

I think Mel Tappan probably forgot more about guns than BTP ever knew. I liked Mel's books a lot. Survival Guns is much better written (though now, a bit dated, as it was published in 1980), but it typifies "gun nut survivalism". His "recommended arsenals" in the back are hilarious. He recommends several dozen guns in each one, the cost of which (not including ammo, reloading supplies, etc.) would run into tens of thousands of dollars.

That's a great ideal but even if nuclear war was expected in the near future, very few people have those kinds of resources, and if they do, the arsenals need to be balanced against all the other survival needs.

But I still love that book ;-) And I'm willing to listen to Tappan because he
was very knowledgeable about not only guns but all aspects of survivalism.

Another approach is Dr. Bruce Clayton's "Surviving Doomsday" in which he boils things down to three guns (AR-18, HK-91, and 870 - all much cheaper in 1980!) and explains why. Very good overall book for 1980s nuclear survivalism.

Well, the 10mm will do everything other calibers do and more. Load it to the max (weight and power), down load it (for personal defense), or use a mild load and weight (for target fun.) Nothing is perfect and handguns are a compromise of sorts, but having a gun/caliber combination that is versitile, potent and accurate sure helps in most scenarios.

That's why I own the G 20 and G29 sf. I have many other Glocks from 9mm to .45, but the Ten is what I carry (G-29 sf) and depend on both on the street and in the Northwest woods.

All the best.

Yes this thread is interesting there is no magic bullet or caliber. The best gun is the one you shoot best and have confidence with. A 12 gage with buckshot would be my preference over any hand gun but can't find an ankle holster to conceal one (Ha Ha). A 38, 9mm or bigger should work if you can shoot it, placement is more important than caliber. JMHO : Bill :D

S&W 500 will nock a Abram right off its tracks haha

I shoot .500 S&W mag frequently and bought my first one after doing some wilderness work near Yellowstone. Guess I got spooked thinking of Grizzlys... However, after vaporizing gallon jugs of water and shattering concrete blocks with my 500, I think I'd be very hesitant to use it for defense against a human. It seems to me that a body part would certainly get knocked off. Hitting a little high on a center of mass shot might decapitate someone!

I just ordered some Ranger Rick's Tyrannosaurus Thumpers for my 500 :D
When is Tyrannosaurus season?

Phaser on disintegrate setting...:)

phaser1.jpg

In all seriousness, I think a .44 Magnum loaded with a Magsafe or Glaser round would be quite destructive.

45acp or 357mag are great choices for knock down power and also semi affordable to practice with. 44 mag is great but expensive as ****. As far as stoping them dead in there tracks, shot placement, you need to get to know your gun well enough for it to become second nature to shoot accurately.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top