JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What he said.

EDIT:

Let me amend my previous comment; No round will stop a bad guy 100% of the time. The human body doesn't work that way. ANY round placed in the brain or heart will kill, but you have to wait for their body to actually register that it's dead. That can take a number of seconds. Perhaps you should rephrase your question?

S&W 500 will nock a Abram right off its tracks haha

I have to agree. Although everyone in the area will be deaf (and blinded if it's dark) a 500 Mag would indeed be a fight stopper if it was a decent, center of mass hit. I chronoed factory Hornady 350 gr XTPs at 2000 fps. It would indeed be "end of story".:s0155:

You have to have shot one of these to understand the power level of this round.

But, I pack a .45 and feel very comfortable with that.

my main carry is a 9mm (glock 17) and my second is 45 (1911). might take a little math to figure it out but its something like this. (( Mass * volosity = force)). Now add range to the equation and your force is diminished to some extent. I dont have the full problem here but you get the picture. There is a book on this

Handgun Stopping Power: The Definitive Study
http://www.amazon.com/reader/0873646533?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sib%5Fdp_pt#noop

heres another link on a study done on stopping power.
<broken link removed>

But sense I was little my dad always told me never count on the "oneshot" to stop a threat, always back it up with 1 or 2 more.. And when in dought, run off a couple more, I.E. "terminate the threat! leave no question that you were in fear for your life."

The BEST stopping power......... Your mind, controlling your emotions and adrenalin rush, your aim combined with yur controlling your tunnel vision all coming form your training.

THAT is the ultimate stopping power.

Like it has been said... a well place .22 will stop quicker than a poorly placed .44

I feel comfortable carrying a 45 backed up with a 357 Sig, they're all good......... our minds led by our training is the best!

I carry a .45 everywhere and I never feel outgunned or like I might need more. It would be a rare occurrence to find someone wanting to do you harm packing a 500, not exactly on the gangstas budget. I understand that any gun can be stolen and used in a crime, but I'm willing to take my chances and carry a .45.

For a 'common' caliber, i would think a 44 mag would be hard to top, all other things being even, such as shot placement, and only getting one shot.
With that said, i feel pretty safe carrying six rounds of 9mm or .45 cal.

I have a friend who's in the repo business in Atlanta, GA. He frequents some really bad neighborhoods to repo vehicles.

He says he's been shot at twice by "gang banger" types. He believes that those types don't take gun training or practice, and in his words they can't shoot a pistol "worth a d@mn."

He feels lucky that in all cases they just fired a couple of shots and ran when he pulled his gun, and he didn't have to shoot anyone.

His is just one opinion, but he believes that the odds are that he can out shoot and kill a typical thug if he ever has to.

$.02

The BEST stopping power......... Your mind, controlling your emotions and adrenalin rush, your aim combined with yur controlling your tunnel vision all coming form your training.

THAT is the ultimate stopping power.

Like it has been said... a well place .22 will stop quicker than a poorly placed .44

I feel comfortable carrying a 45 backed up with a 357 Sig, they're all good......... our minds led by our training is the best!

Ditto! :s0155:

I have a friend who's in the repo business in Atlanta, GA. He frequents some really bad neighborhoods to repo vehicles.

He says he's been shot at twice by "gang banger" types. He believes that those types don't take gun training or practice, and in his words they can't shoot a pistol "worth a d@mn."

He feels lucky that in all cases they just fired a couple of shots and ran when he pulled his gun, and he didn't have to shoot anyone.

His is just one opinion, but he believes that the odds are that he can out shoot and kill a typical thug if he ever has to.

$.02

I would generally agree with you friend, however... even thugs get lucky sometimes! :s0131:

45acp 230gr Golden sabre, good penetration, wound channel.
.357mag 458gr Golden sabre. same thing.
Of course placement of shot, ie center mass, heart/lungs, is important. Makes a bad guy have a bad day.

might take a little math to figure it out but its something like this. (( Mass * volosity = force)).

Force = Mass x Acceleration, which is different than velocity or speed. Muzzle velocity is an instantaneous measurement, which has negative acceleration the farther the Mass travels.

None of this greatly matters with pistols in my opinion because of the distance between you and your target if you're using a caliber of .380 or larger. They all shoot "flat" and at various velocities (which all have decreased since they left the chamber). I shoot a 45 just as well as a 9mm, but have problems staying on target with a 44mag or the like. So put your money into training because a well placed shot is better than one that can't hit the target.

Yup:

Muzzle energy (lb ft) = 1/2 * m * v * v

Muzzle energy(lb ft) = velocity(ft/s)*velocity(ft/s)*mass(grains)/450,240

where the 450,240 is a unit conversion and accounts for the 1/2 in the energy equation 450,240 = 32.16lbf/lbm *7000 grains/lb * 2

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top