JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that some here find my posts of varying degrees of interesting - from the ho-hum to the WT*?

Having been to a number of ranges in the part of the USA that we frequent, I've often wondered about any constraints that might apply there, but have failed dismally to discover a darned thing about your ranges. It seems to be all by word of mouth, of rumour, or folk-tale, or just nothing at all...

Here in UK it's different - what else is new?

I though you might like to see what was posted up on the walls of each of our three outdoor ranges - it was renewed in 2012, BTW - this is an old photo.

You'll notice that there is NO danger area - this is because the 100 yard range is a gallery range, and the backstop and firing points are covered by a heavy overhanging roof - the actual backstop is a seventy-five foot high bank of clay-like earth.

1660681141996.png
1660681416185.png

What is a "danger area"? That looks pretty darn similar to a small US range to me
Because of the small size of the UK compared with the USA, all outdoor ranges in UK, military and civilian, have a so-called danger area behind the bullet catchment area. You understand that even a .22 bullet can be dangerous at ranges far in excess of those that we associate them with. The danger area for a full-bore range can extend as much as a mile, or even two, and out to each side of the firing points in a fan-shape. Like this -

1660682239023.png

Obviously there is a lot more to it than this simple outline, dependant on the kind of firearm used there, and the prevailing topology and geography. The Orion range in Wales, where we can happily shoot .50cal all day long, has mountains as backstops - going for miles - without human habitation or loony walkers to get in the way.

Last Edited:
Because of the small size of the UK compared with the USA, all outdoor ranges in UK, military and civilian, have a so-called danger area behind the bullet catchment area. You understand that even a .22 bullet can be dangerous at ranges far in excess of those that we associate them with. The danger area for a full-bore range can extend as much as a mile, or even two, and out to each side of the firing points in a fan-shape. Like this -

View attachment 1259357

Obviously there is a lot more to it than this simple outline, dependant on the kind of firearm used there, and the prevailing topology and geography. The Orion range in Wales, where we can happily shoot .50cal all day long, has mountains as backstops - going for miles - without human habitation or loony walkers to get in the way.
Why aren't there any walkers in the mountains? Are there no trails?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top