JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^Well, the 1,259,681 WA citizens' 'No' votes on I1639 are worth exactly...NOTHING.

Yep, 1.25M+ minions...shut up and comply.

Boss

Sorry, @tac, I did try to nudge things into a more constructive direction... :eek:

Understood.

I'm just a mite slower to learn when to stop bending over to be kicked, OK?

It sure is getting tiresome, TTTT.

There's a whole list of countries out there that have more draconian gun laws than the yUK - try that favourite vacation spot of many Americans, the Republic of Ireland - and a large number of countries that prohibit their ownership totally. There are also a number of absolute monarchies left in the world, and oddly enough, most of them also prohibit ownership of private firearms. Then there are other monarchies, like that of the yUK, where guns are good to go, but all they produce is either LEGO, flat-pack furniture, Lutefisk, chocolate and firearms, crummy Olly jokes, and stuff like that.

Odd then, that nobody from any of these has ever taken the trouble to join in the fun on this site, and judging from the increasing number of digs I'm getting, I can see why that might be.

I'm going to stand back a while, and see how things go here.

I often hear "if only we had laws like in other european countries, we would have low gun homicide rates as well.". And it is often taken at gospel, just because. It's also repeated, but without any data to back it up. Wonder why?

I always found this graph helpful when discussing the UK. Scroll down a couple graphs and you will see Canada vs the USA, and Uk vs the USA.

Here's one that shows a couple different European countries.

In summary; "show me a 'developed' country with strict gun laws and low homicide rates, and I will show you a country that had low homicide rates BEFORE their strict gun laws".

Different countries respond to events in a very different fashion. Prior to the Hungerford Massacre [1986] and Dunblane Massacre [1996] there had never been mass shootings like them in UK's recorded history carried out by shooters with legally-held firearms. The fact that the last mass-murder took the lives sixteen 1st grade children and their teacher simply added to the horror of the event.

Remember, too, that statistics are a double-edged sword. Stating that the murder rate has increased by 300% might mean that three people were killed, after a period when only one was killed.

Last weekend in Chicago, for instance 9 people were shot dead, and 39 injured by firearm......

1564561739237.png

What was that old Twain-ism? Something about three kinds of lie, the lie, the damn lie and the statistic? All it takes is a little knowledge of how to cook the books and the will to do so...it's the difference between, if somebody discovers a miracle cure for cancer, "cancer deaths down 90%" versus "90% of oncologists losing their jobs" or "guns now kill more people than cancer."

Chicago has more shootings. But Chicago is a way bigger city. Baltimore has more shootings per capita.

There were 342 homicides in Baltimore last year, 56 per 100,000 people who live in the city. That's the highest per capita in the city's history and, according to the FBI report Monday, the highest rate of any American city with more than 500,000 people. It's also significantly higher than the rate in other big cities.

'Neighborhoods are crying out': Baltimore has highest homicide rate of U.S. big cities

https://www.baltimoresun.com/n...-20180924-story.html

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top