JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Nothing but rain and crappy weather for months now!

Every year it seems we at least get a few days break with some sunny days and warmer temps. But not this year. Nope.

The forecast has been awful and cold and wet and dreary for weeks and weeks with no end in sight.

I need to go take some vitamin D and figure out how to get out of this funk...

Last Edited:
I'm just thinking of the stream conditions over the summer, which will be better with all the rain going into the water table. Hoping for some good summer steelhead and a good spring chinook run!

Was born here. Left for high desert for a while. Went back and forth and ended up here again. I does get to be a drag at times. What I love is last couple decades since this "Global we are all going to die" got going. Every time we get some nice weather for a while people start screaming drought. Or "record low rainfall". It is amazing the crap the media can sell to people. Barnum must be rolling over that he never could get rubes this easy.

It has actually been fairly dry when you look at the stats. Also, we have had less flooding than usual. The usual flooding I observe along the Tualatin (in the past 60 years) is much less than in the past.

I was hoping for more rain. Three weeks ago I started burning slash piles. Two weeks ago I stopped. It was getting too dry and the last pile lit had tried to spread. Some of those piles are still burning (coals under ash) despite 2 inches of rain - most are just steaming, but at least one has smoke instead of steam, despite me opening up holes and pouring 20 gallons of water into the coals underneath the ash.

Two nights ago I came home, and I was going to stop at the base of the ridge on the mountain I live on. The ridge was covered in smoke and I could see fires. I panicked thinking the piles had caught fire again and spread. I stomped on the gas and fishtailed up the gravel road for about a mile until I saw that it was the neighbor's burning their piles, not my piles.

This was after about 48 hours - after the fires died down:

hilltop.jpeg

It is very wet and lightly raining right now, but those piles will burn for weeks - underneath the ashes, protected from the rain, are hot coals and wood still burning. In about a week it will dry out and I will need to go over and work on my piles to reduce the chances that they will spread as the area around them dries out.

Its really not that bad. Go outside and take a look:D
I have long joked "there is a reason everything here is so damn green". Years ago middle of winter we had one of those weeks where sun came out for days, no one would go to work. Radio station ran a spot. "People of Seattle, do not panic. That bright orange ball of light in the sky is just the sun". I did have to chuckle when I heard it.

April showers brings may flowers

And weeds, and damn grass all over :D:D
I am sitting here looking at the yard thinking, DAMN, I really need to get out there with the mower and weed eater again. Every time I get motivated it rains again :cool: Going to be a hell of a job when I finally get out there with mowing, ween eater, edger, going to be a hell of a job. Then I will be sitting there drinking a beer telling myself not to let it get this out of hand again ;)

As we speak, my Wife is on an airplane back to here from a wonderful sunny week in the Southwest to escape winter depression.

As she gets off the airplane into this dismal weather, wish me luck.

Last Edited:
I can't remember the last time I took a paid vacation, or one that was voluntary - maybe 12-13 years ago?

My workplace shuts down for 7-10 days twice a year, and my employer of record (contracting shop) doesn't pay PTO except sick time, so I lose a paycheck that week.

When I take a weekday off and I am not sick, I am generally working on my property, and I have made up for the lost time at work by working 10+ hour days.

LOL, we had a lot of that. Call off for sick. Then someone would say they were on facebook out having fun (shaking head)
We did have a few of those as well. My favorite is the sick call for denied time off requests... then to be on facebook with a pinned location at some venue. PRICELESS!

I'm a dinosaur. We had no Facebook or Twitter to catch somebody playing hooky.

My shop was truly right on the river in Oregon City. Our unauthorized absences were discovered by looking out to the river and seeing our sickcall babies in a boat, holding a fishing pole.

GEDC0982.jpg

Last Edited:
A lot of people are moving from California and many of them are moving to Oregon. Oregon is going the way of California politically. So yeah we are like California with crappier weather.

I was looking at places with good year around weather. California and Hawaii are top ranked, but of course my evil guns are not welcome.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top