JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so I've been looking at different revolvers and found this one Uberti 1873 cattleman II but don't know much about it a side from the company sale page info. So does anyone know more about them or has used/ owed them and can provide real world usage information.

IMHO.....just buy the Ruger Vaquero.

OK, Ok, ok....I admit that I've only owned one example of an Italian SAA. And, that way back when. Broken parts, a recoil shield that came out, soft metal, etc.... OK, Ok, ok.....Yes....things might have changed/improved.

Rrrrrright.....the Italian guarantee. UP TO YOU.....if you wish to play that game.

Or......

You could just buy the Ruger Vaquero (and hopefully avoid the problems that I had). I use mine in SASS. They both get a lot of "work out". Some say Rugers are built like....

A TANK!

Yeah.....I only own two.
SAA-357-Mag-002.jpg
But, so far so good.

I'd buy another Ruger before I'd invest in an Italian. That's me. Ooops....I mean....unless I could get an Italian really cheap.

Aloha, Mark

PS....wait.... I might have actually owned two Italians. I can remember one with a hammer/hand/timing problems. And the last one, with the recoil shield problem.

Last Edited:
They are legit makers. I used to compete with a pair of them.
I will say this when Bill Ruger updated the SAA revolver the single best thing he added was coil springs instead of the original leaf springs that were popular in the mid 1800's.
And the rugers are safe to load 6 in the cylinder, The Replicas are not! They have to be treated as the original guns and only carry with the hammer down on a empty chamber!
But I have a pair that I have owned since the 1990s with thousands of rounds through them and no issues. Good Luck DR

Uberti makes a fine revolver.
They are a fairly close of a replica of what they are trying to copy.

At noted above...its best to carry them with hammer down on a empty chamber.

I have owned several in the calibers of .45 Colt and .45 ACP as well as .357 Magnum.
Andy

Last Edited:
Happy owner of a Cimarron Evil Roy (Uberti) in 45 Colt. No problems with nearly 1,200 rounds through it. Now I do have to say all of my rounds are bunny farts as this revolver is for range fun only.

The Uberti and Pietta Cimmaron-branded pistols are beautiful and useful. They're fun to shoot and, if I'm being honest, they're what l pull out when I just want to fondle a gun (that's not a euphemism... but it could be).

The Rugers, OTOH, are tough-azz working guns. When l worked on an AZ ranch l always carried a NM Blackhawk in a Hunter leather rig. That is... when l wasn't shoveling sh*t, which is mostly what l did (greenhorn). The Vaqueros are just as tough as the Blackhawks but add a dash of authentisism (is that a word?) over their BH/SBH stablemates. I should also mention that the NM Blackhawks are also safe(r) to carry fully loaded whereas the more "authentic" Italian replicas should be carried with the hammer resting on an empty chamber.

Either would make for a fun shooter, but l catch myself babying the Italians more than the Rugers.. they just LOOK so delicate and graceful compared the the Ruger-brutes . My buddy just bought a Cimmaron (Uberti) Remington 1858 replica in .45 and it's a beautiful, high quality piece. Have no fear of QC issues when buying one of these spaghetti heaters.

If price is no object, get yerself a Taylor & Company catalog... they take the Italian guns up a few notches in finishes, grip materials, etc. They also have some long guns that I've never seen offered by Cimmaron (T&C exclusives).
Drool-y stuff.

I recently picked up a Taylors and Company 'The Ranch Hand' , it's an Uberti 1873 Cattleman. It's a sweet gun.
Now the hammer had issues about a 100 rounds into it, but they sent me a slip and I had it back in a week. I've put a lot of rounds through it, wax bullets too. Sportsman's had it for $479, and I had a coupon on top of that. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, it's fun to shoot, but I might get a .357 next.

I have a Cimmaron that someone did a lot of work on and it is very nice. I have a new Uberti too and they are both a hoot loaded with .45 colt plinking loads and cast bullets

Uberti is the best of the replica manufacturers. As noted by @Jonnyuma , upgrades beyond what is offered by Uberti themselves can be obtained from outfits that request "special runs" from Uberti, or make their own improvements.

My pommel-holster gun while a-horseback is an Uberti "Outlaw" (Copy of a Remington 1890), factory engraved .44-40. Another favorite is a clone of an 1873 Army Colt, accurate in all configuration and marking toward a Custer Battlefield weapon (.45 Colt, of course).

An 1851 Colt Navy (.36) is one percussion Uberti here, as well as an 1862 Police.

I don't punish these guns, but they do get shot quite a bit with no breakages or malfunctions that could not be attributed to me. Closest to the "Real Deal" you can get, and finished so perfectly, every one. And the rifles? Well, this thread ain't about the rifles.

I want a Schofield.

Last Edited:
I agree; If you want a tough-as-nails gun that you can hot-rod and abuse, buy the Ruger.

If you want a fun gun that's closer to the originals, and you're fine with keeping your loads closer to original spec, then the Italian guns are great. They should be able to hold up at least as good as the originals (modern steel), but I sure wouldn't ever shoot Ruger-only .45 Colt loads in one.

I have a Uberti 1875 Remington .45 Colt, and a Cimarron Pistolero .45 Colt (Pietta). Both are great guns. I load the traditional 454190 255gr bullets with 8gr Unique, have shot at least 1k rounds between the two, never a problem. I actually prefer the Italian guns over a Ruger, just because their closer to the original guns and have that feel to them, though the Ruger is the "better" gun in a practical sense, especially if you want to hot-rod your ammo.

Just ran across this video. Might be of some interest to this subject.

search : 500 dollar SAA vs 2,000 dollar SAA

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Calibers: To each his own, but there's something that "just rubs me the wrong way" about replicas chambered in cartridges that were never offered in the originals.

The Colt SAA clones get a minor pass here, as later Colts WERE (are) chambered in modern stuff like .357. Another pass is granted to the "Yellow Boy" guns (Henry rifle replicas and Winchester 1866 copies) due to the originals being rimfire .44. If they weren't chambered in centerfire, we couldn't be shooting them.

Replica rifles chambered in .45 Colt get not a passing glance from me when they come up for sale. In Looney Tunes language, "It just don't add up!" Even with the Henrys and '66's, I prefer to at least preserve some semblance of bore diameter, so .44-40 is my choice there.

"Companion pieces" (A rifle and pistol chambered in the same cartridge). Look to the .44-40, .38-40, and .32-20 if you want authenticity.

Last Edited:
I noticed some of the uberti's have a retractable firing pin so it's safe to load 6. Cattleman II is the one I noticed.
A5A8A55D-E0BF-4AA9-8D71-66F33A20BAA9.jpeg
5D59FCE0-9183-463E-89BC-BA16984E7FFE.jpeg
I handled one of the ubertis in the store (can't recall the model) and it didn't have colt 4 click action. But I think some do have the 4 click action? Having the 4 click action would be important to me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top