JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"[D.C. v. Heller] tells us that the core of the Second Amendment is 'the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home.'" ... [Title 18] § 922(g)(5) does not burden this core right, because the prohibition applies only to those who are present in the United States "illegally or unlawfully."

Because of this, the court evaluated the ban on gun possession by illegal aliens under only "intermediate scrutiny," rather than "strict scrutiny." In practice, intermediate scrutiny has sometimes been read as quite demanding of the government (almost as demanding as strict scrutiny), for instance as to sex discrimination or commercial speech restrictions. But in other areas, it has often ended up being much less demanding, for instance as to restrictions that incidentally burden symbolic expression, as to content-neutral speech restrictions (at least in many cases), and as to restrictions on gun possession. And here, the Ninth Circuit concluded that the law satisfied this standard, chiefly because it saw gun ownership by illegal aliens as particularly dangerous:

"[T]hose who show a willingness to defy our law are ... a group that ought not be armed when authorities seek them." If armed, unlawful aliens could pose a threat to immigration officers or other law enforcement who attempt to apprehend and remove them.

OMG.... the 9th "Circus" actually called a spade a spade?! ILLEGAL ALIENS & not "immigrants"? :eek:

While I certainly agree with the ruling, there are some phrases I find disconcerting;
"In practice, intermediate scrutiny ...has often ended up being much less demanding, for instance ... as to restrictions on gun possession."
THERE'S a can of worms I'd rather not see opened. There should only be one standard, Strict Scrutiny, for anything Constitutional!!

and;
"[T]hose who show a willingness to defy our law are ... a group that ought not be armed when authorities seek them."
Who might this wind up being applied to?? Speeders?? Smokers in public places?? Motorcyclists without a helmet??

This is the mindset that puts the slippery in slippery slope!!

OMG.... the 9th "Circus" actually called a spade a spade?! ILLEGAL ALIENS & not "immigrants"? :eek:

That's because this was a 3 judge panel.............................

As per their SOP, I'm sure that right now the rest of the leftist partisan activists seated on the court are planning on having a full en banc hearing to change that offensive language.

Ray

Agreed on slippery slope... Teach your kid at home? You're an extremist. Too dangerous when the state education goons come to see why your kids haven't taken their soma, so you best not have weapons either.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top