JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You can read the <broken link removed> . Basically, a story about how Mexico can't seem to trace any of the weapons it seizes because of "computer problems".

Mexico has some of the strictest gun laws in the world. It is extremely difficult for citizens to legally buy or possess pistols or rifles. The country has just one gun store, operated by the military.

And yet Mexico is awash in weapons, from the ubiquitous 9 mm handguns found in the glove box of every thug in Mexico to .50-caliber sniper rifles capable of downing a helicopter. Both guns are sold legally in the United States and are easily obtainable in the worldwide black market in arms. More than 28,000 Mexicans have died in drug violence in the past four years.

According to U.S. agents working here, Mexican prosecutors have not made a single major arms-trafficking case.

The Mexican government often says that 90 percent of the weapons it confiscates come from the United States. In 2009 testimony before Congress, the ATF director gave that same figure.

But gun lobbyists, arms manufacturers and some members of Congress question that, and U.S. law-enforcement agents and officials who have seen the trace results also say the raw numbers do not support the 90 percent figure.

I have no doubt that some guns from the U.S. are finding their way into Mexico. But, when there's literally a river of illegal drugs flowing through the country, it's just as likely they are coming from elsewhere. There's also the prospect that Mexican Govt.-owned guns are finding their way into the hands of narco-thugs.

I have no doubt that some guns from the U.S. are finding their way into Mexico. But, when there's literally a river of illegal drugs flowing through the country, it's just as likely they are coming from elsewhere. There's also the prospect that Mexican Govt.-owned guns are finding their way into the hands of narco-thugs.
That was my answer to one thread on an MSN article. The poster even tried to blame the NRA for ALL the weapons in Mexico. My answer was that the guns were probably sold to the Mexican government, then stolen, sold or given to the gangs there. Of course they could be traced to the US since they came from there LEGALLY.

The "Trade Ratings" is low by 3!
Some people just don't post it I guess

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
ACSWW member

My understanding of the "90&#37;" myth is that 90% of the guns seized in Mexico that could be traced, could be traced to the USA as the source, however, only a small fraction of guns seized can actually be traced (IIRC something like 17%). So relatively few guns used in crime in Mexico can actually for certain be said to come from the USA. Some will assume... the 90% will also hold true to the guns that cannot be traced, but it's very likely that a disproportionate amount guns that can be traced come from the USA, given the federal requirements regarding serial numbers and so on, whereas untraceable guns... guns with ambiguous or absent markings are more likely to come from elsewhere. And even the guns that do come from America, a good portion likely don't come from straw purchases and then smuggled south but rather the source is likely the Mexican military and law enforcement, which both have serious problems with corruption and desertion... and when they go crooked and/or desert, where do you suppose their American-made firearms can end up?

Is it just me or shouldn't we be more worried that Mexican weapons are flowing to our side of the border? I mean they have grenades, RPG's, and various full auto's that could make their way to our country because they can't maintain their own borders.

Is it just me or shouldn't we be more worried that Mexican weapons are flowing to our side of the border? I mean they have grenades, RPG's, and various full auto's that could make their way to our country because they can't maintain their own borders.

If anything is "flowing to our side of the border" it would be because we are not protecting our border. It's our job to keep people and contraband out. Not Mexico's job to keep it in.

Furthermore, the Inspector General concludes, based on interviews in Mexico, Mexican law enforcement does not consider gun tracing an important tool, and authorities suspect that traces mostly benefit U.S. law enforcement.

Translating eTrace into Spanish "is more complicated than you would think," as two software systems needed to be synchronized, he said, adding that Mexican agents are now ready to be trained to use the software and that he hoped to have 300 trained in the coming year. "

OK, let me get this straight:

1) Mexico does not believe in tracing guns as a viable tool for crime solving.
2) The US main effort to help Mexico is to translate eTrace into Spanish so Mexico can trace guns, and offer this tool to Mexico.
3) The Mexicans can't or won't enter the right information to allow guns to be traced.

Sounds like typical US government efficiency.

what about the fact ( seen on news broad cast show) where the guns that these Mexican outlaws are using are Mexican military grade???? maybe they should find there leaks and put corks in them

If anything is "flowing to our side of the border" it would be because we are not protecting our border. It's our job to keep people and contraband out. Not Mexico's job to keep it in.

Same for them. If they really think our guns our "flowing" across the border to them. then maybe they need to step up there border protection.

Why the Heck is it the responsibility of the US government to protect both sides of the border?

We can't even keep our side sealed.

Why the Heck is it the responsibility of the US government to protect both sides of the border?
Really??? Come on you know is Americas place to protect, provide and provide good will to all the world... despite our own issues.... cough cough... (pardon me I need to puke, cant believe i said all that in one sentence)

Just seems like more govt BS. We are blaming Mexico for their drugs and they in turn blame us for the hand full of guns that are traced back here. But the truth is the fully auto weapons, grenades, rpgs, ect are not coming from the U.S.
And while on the subject what happened to the two Mexican guys that were caught running the 147 AK-47 assault rifles across the border into mexico, along with a substantial amount of ammo and mags? It was big news then diappeared. Last I heard they changed them with some BS crimes that had nothing to do with trafficking and it was one.
I want to know where those guns came from?

Just seems like more govt BS. We are blaming Mexico for their drugs and they in turn blame us for the hand full of guns that are traced back here. But the truth is the fully auto weapons, grenades, rpgs, ect are not coming from the U.S.
And while on the subject what happened to the two Mexican guys that were caught running the 147 AK-47 assault rifles across the border into mexico, along with a substantial amount of ammo and mags? It was big news then diappeared. Last I heard they changed them with some BS crimes that had nothing to do with trafficking and it was one.
I want to know where those guns came from?

Assault rifles....or semiautomatic rifles? :s0129:

So if we follow the equation that legal gun sales in the US equals illegal guns in Mexico and outlawed guns in the US equals no illegal guns shipped into Mexico.

So does illegal drugs in Mexico equal no illegal drugs shipped into the US?

So if we follow the equation that legal gun sales in the US equals illegal guns in Mexico and outlawed guns in the US equals no illegal guns shipped into Mexico.

So does illegal drugs in Mexico equal no illegal drugs shipped into the US?

The math seems to be valid. I can not find fault in the equation.:s0155:

Same for them. If they really think our guns our "flowing" across the border to them. then maybe they need to step up there border protection.

We can't even keep our side sealed.

You are good at reading comprehension. This whole idea of American civilian guns being smuggled into Mexico seems like opposite day to me, if anything it would be American criminals, needing guns, get them from Mexico, the same way they get their drugs to sell.

Occupy and annex Mexico now! (I am not kidding here - I have been saying this for 20 + years now and am getting more and more to agree with me - including a Mexican - American I work with who came across the Rio Grande over 25 years ago)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top