Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

U.S., Mexico frustrated in fight against gunrunning

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Sun195, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

You can read the entire article here. Basically, a story about how Mexico can't seem to trace any of the weapons it seizes because of "computer problems".

I have no doubt that some guns from the U.S. are finding their way into Mexico. But, when there's literally a river of illegal drugs flowing through the country, it's just as likely they are coming from elsewhere. There's also the prospect that Mexican Govt.-owned guns are finding their way into the hands of narco-thugs.

2. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

That was my answer to one thread on an MSN article. The poster even tried to blame the NRA for ALL the weapons in Mexico. My answer was that the guns were probably sold to the Mexican government, then stolen, sold or given to the gangs there. Of course they could be traced to the US since they came from there LEGALLY.

The "Trade Ratings" is low by 3!
    Some people just don't post it I guess

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    ACSWW member

3. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My understanding of the "90%" myth is that 90% of the guns seized in Mexico that could be traced, could be traced to the USA as the source, however, only a small fraction of guns seized can actually be traced (IIRC something like 17%). So relatively few guns used in crime in Mexico can actually for certain be said to come from the USA. Some will assume... the 90% will also hold true to the guns that cannot be traced, but it's very likely that a disproportionate amount guns that can be traced come from the USA, given the federal requirements regarding serial numbers and so on, whereas untraceable guns... guns with ambiguous or absent markings are more likely to come from elsewhere. And even the guns that do come from America, a good portion likely don't come from straw purchases and then smuggled south but rather the source is likely the Mexican military and law enforcement, which both have serious problems with corruption and desertion... and when they go crooked and/or desert, where do you suppose their American-made firearms can end up?

4. kaoboi503

kaoboi503 Gresham, OR Member

Is it just me or shouldn't we be more worried that Mexican weapons are flowing to our side of the border? I mean they have grenades, RPG's, and various full auto's that could make their way to our country because they can't maintain their own borders.

5. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

If anything is "flowing to our side of the border" it would be because we are not protecting our border. It's our job to keep people and contraband out. Not Mexico's job to keep it in.

6. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

OK, let me get this straight:

1) Mexico does not believe in tracing guns as a viable tool for crime solving.
    2) The US main effort to help Mexico is to translate eTrace into Spanish so Mexico can trace guns, and offer this tool to Mexico.
    3) The Mexicans can't or won't enter the right information to allow guns to be traced.

Sounds like typical US government efficiency.

7. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

My personal opinion is that most of the weapons that gangsters use in Mexico come from Communist countries such as Russia or China - funneled through Cuba or Venezuela.

8. jvbutter

jvbutter Cornelius, Or Active Member

what about the fact ( seen on news broad cast show) where the guns that these Mexican outlaws are using are Mexican military grade???? maybe they should find there leaks and put corks in them

9. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

Same for them. If they really think our guns our "flowing" across the border to them. then maybe they need to step up there border protection.

Why the Heck is it the responsibility of the US government to protect both sides of the border?

We can't even keep our side sealed.

10. jvbutter

Really??? Come on you know is Americas place to protect, provide and provide good will to all the world... despite our own issues.... cough cough... (pardon me I need to puke, cant believe i said all that in one sentence)

11. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

There was a good article in the New Yorker last week about drug gangs and police corruption in Tijuana.

Mexico’s war on crime and drugs in Tijuana : The New Yorker

It starts off showing how Colonel Leyzaola cleaned up Tijuana, but then takes a turn I really didn't expect. In short - you can't trust anyone down there.

Makes you glad to live in America.

12. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Just seems like more govt BS. We are blaming Mexico for their drugs and they in turn blame us for the hand full of guns that are traced back here. But the truth is the fully auto weapons, grenades, rpgs, ect are not coming from the U.S.
    And while on the subject what happened to the two Mexican guys that were caught running the 147 AK-47 assault rifles across the border into mexico, along with a substantial amount of ammo and mags? It was big news then diappeared. Last I heard they changed them with some BS crimes that had nothing to do with trafficking and it was one.
    I want to know where those guns came from?

13. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

Assault rifles....or semiautomatic rifles? :sleep:

14. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I will just stick with the ak-47. Because even if the article stated, we can't trust it.

Every gun used in a shooting is an assault rifle to the media.

15. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

So if we follow the equation that legal gun sales in the US equals illegal guns in Mexico and outlawed guns in the US equals no illegal guns shipped into Mexico.

So does illegal drugs in Mexico equal no illegal drugs shipped into the US?

16. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

The math seems to be valid. I can not find fault in the equation.:thumbup:

17. kaoboi503

You are good at reading comprehension. This whole idea of American civilian guns being smuggled into Mexico seems like opposite day to me, if anything it would be American criminals, needing guns, get them from Mexico, the same way they get their drugs to sell.

18. jvbutter

19. kaoboi503

Yup, American guns definitely did that. American grenades too.

20. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Occupy and annex Mexico now! (I am not kidding here - I have been saying this for 20 + years now and am getting more and more to agree with me - including a Mexican - American I work with who came across the Rio Grande over 25 years ago)