JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Thousands of guns are being offered for sale illegally by unlicensed firearms dealers on a single U.S. website, according to a report released on Thursday by a group of U.S. mayors campaigning for gun control.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns, founded and largely funded by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, examined sales on Armslist.com, a major gun-trading website that enables sales in all 50 states, over an eight-week period this year.

It said nearly a third of the ads posted were from "high-volume" sellers who lacked the federal license required of individuals who regularly sell firearms.

Private sellers are generally allowed to sell a gun legally online without checking the buyer's criminal record and mental-health history, although rules governing such sales differ from state to state. Anyone engaged "in the business" of selling guns is required by federal law to have a license and to perform background checks on buyers.

Based on its sample, the mayors' group estimated that nearly 240,000 guns would be advertised on the website in a year by high-volume sellers posing as private sellers who would not necessarily require background checks.

"These findings tell us that law enforcement, legislators and web sites all need to take steps to choke off this potentially deadly stream of illegal firearms sales," Bloomberg said in a statement.

He noted that the report was being released just two days before the anniversary of a mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, in which a gunman killed 20 children and six adults.

"Nothing has changed in Washington since Newtown," Bloomberg said.

In spite of outrage provoked by the Newtown shooting, a gun control bill endorsed by President Barack Obama stalled in the U.S. Senate earlier this year, with gun rights advocates arguing that free access to guns is a constitutional right.

Gun control advocates, including some from Newtown, gathered at the National Cathedral in Washington on Thursday to mark this week's Newtown anniversary.

The "National Vigil for Victims of Gun Violence," attended by about 500 people, was organized by the nonprofit Newtown Foundation and the cathedral, both of which back a tightening of federal gun laws.

The Reverend Mel Kawakami of Newtown's United Methodist Church urged the activists to "work toward a world where there are no more school shootings.

"We gather to say, No more!" he said.

In September, the mayors' group estimated that as many as 25,000 guns a year may be sold on Armslist.com to people with criminal records.

Armslist.com offers a disclaimer that it "does not become involved in any transactions between parties" and its users must agree that they will not break the law. The website's operators did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Bloomberg, one of the most prominent and wealthy advocates of tighter U.S. gun laws, steps down as mayor at the end of the year, but has said he will remain active on the issue.

(Additional reporting by LaLacey Johnson in Washington; Editing by Edith Honan and David Brunnstrom)

U.S. mayors say thousands of guns sold illegally online

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

HUH? Any sale across state lines has to go through a FFL a form 4473 and a NICS BGC + what ever silly laws the buyers state has.

The only sales on Arms List that aren't going through that are ones sold in state and in a state that doesn't have some form of BGC requirement for FTF sales.

Another case of morons who don't know or care about the law making up their own stats to promote their agenda.

Why doesn't mayor Barfbag put his efforts into fixing something he knows about - criminality of Wall Street?
Of course since he made his billions and continues to do so today from providing service to that sector, he will ignore it.
He's a nasty little man and a perfect example of someone having what is labeled as Napoleon complex. Napoleon actually took on the powers of his day and liberated regular people from the shackles of oppression, Bloomberg on the other hand services the powers like a high end hooker and strives to oppress the regular people.
Only one thing I want for Bloomberg to have that is Napoleon like - Waterloo.

Isnt that article about people who engage in the BUSINESS of selling firearms without an FFL? You don't think that goes on? :s0114:. The problem is there is no real way to distinguish the difference between someone who sells guns to make a profit as a business without an FFL and someone who has a massive collection and decides to liquidate some of it at current market prices or someone who purchases a firearm to flip and someone who gets bored real quick. I do not agree with all the license requirements but it is the law of the land.

HUH? Any sale across state lines has to go through a FFL a form 4473 and a NICS BGC + what ever silly laws the buyers state has.

The only sales on Arms List that aren't going through that are ones sold in state and in a state that doesn't have some form of BGC requirement for FTF sales.

Another case of morons who don't know or care about the law making up their own stats to promote their agenda.

As slimer13 pointed out, article seems to be about engaging in sale of firearms without a license.

As slimer13 pointed out, article seems to be about engaging in sale of firearms without a license.

That may be what the article is about, but that's not what MAIG and their most recent 'report' are about...

"In September, the mayors' group estimated that as many as 25,000 guns a year may be sold on Armslist.com to people with criminal records."

That may be what the article is about, but that's not what MAIG and their most recent 'report' are about...

"In September, the mayors' group estimated that as many as 25,000 guns a year may be sold on Armslist.com to people with criminal records."

And what is wrong with that statement ? There don't seem to be any obstacles for selling a firearm to a person with a criminal record in places where transfer via FFL is not mandatory. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few firearms are sold to prohibited persons on this very forum. Most members here do ask questions during the sale to verify age and residency, but not everybody asks for a CHL/CPL.

And what is wrong with that statement ? There don't seem to be any obstacles for selling a firearm to a person with a criminal record in places where transfer via FFL is not mandatory. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few firearms are sold to prohibited persons on this very forum. Most members here do ask questions during the sale to verify age and residency, but not everybody asks for a CHL/CPL.

I'm probably not making myself clear... MAIG's ultimate goal in regards to Armslist is to shut it down, plain and simple. And by extension, they'd probably love to shut down the classified section on this and other online gun forums.

I'm probably not making myself clear... MAIG's ultimate goal in regards to Armslist is to shut it down, plain and simple. And by extension, they'd probably love to shut down the classified section on this and other online gun forums.

Of course it is and they can eff off but that is not what the thread is about.

Here is the lie disguised as speculation and not based on any factual evidence.

Thousands of guns sold online.. Illegally?

Where are these so called full auto "assault rifles" for mere pennies.. I sure would like to pick one up.

Masters of misinformation.

Well, whatever they desire, especially since their means are limited, interest me the least. My interest is really in the claims being made. Are they false ?

MAIG is headed by Michael Bloomberg who has an estimated net worth of $27 Billion. That's $27,000,000,000. His means (and the means of his organization) are anything but limited.

Michael Bloomberg Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

NRA has 4.5 million members. I also don't think Bloomberg is going to sell his last t-shirt for the cause of shutting down Armslist, which may or may not be successful in the end :)

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top