JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it's a good specialized weapon, but with it's large size, low round count, and explosive shells, I think it'd be a horrible weapon for engagements within ~50 yards.

Most squads will probably have one, but I dont think it'd be a good weapon for every soldier to have.

"Once the trigger is pulled and the round leaves the barrel, a computer chip inside the projectile communicates exactly how far it has traveled, allowing for precise detonation behind or ahead of any target."

I wonder how much those rounds cost? A few hundred per round?

Hey, they already made these back in 1997. I saw them at the movies. STARSHIP TROOPERS.
famous quote;; your some kinda of big fat smart bug arent you.:s0114:

I do not think it is a game changer but more like a smart M203. I can bet you that it will be considered an indirect fire weapon and require approval under the rules of engagement as such. If you just want to kill someone behind a wall or window, an AT4 or SMAW would get the job done better.

The first time its used and some "civilians" get hurt it will require approval from higher to be used thereby eliminating the quick reaction advantage they built it for.

I think that's a great gun, but only need one per unit or fighting group. Not a CQB weapon. Also can you imagine the legal problems this will give to the soldiers who use it and kill "innocent" terrorist.

Looks like a decent weapon, but the quotes were laughable. I don't think it's "revolutionary" or "game changing". Its just an advanced m203 of sorts. That article made it sound like the weapon was delivered by Jesus himself.

I vaguely recall seeing what must've been prototype versions of this at ft. sill back around '96 or so during some 'future arms' presentation. iirc they called it the "oiw", and had crew served variants called the "ociw" pr something like that...o's & w's anyway (don't remember what the acronyms stood for). hmm maybe it was something a bit different as I think those versions were a rifle and a smart gren launcher.. either way, the sales hype was pretty similar. It sure would be crap if every G.I. was stuck with one of these, but it would make a great special weapon, say one per squad or something along those lines...like a smart mortar or 203....I just never warmed up to the idea of an individual weapon having onboard electronics....murphy loves electronics...but time will tell...it does look promising

Seems the laser range-finding is nothing new, just the wireless comms in the round to talk back to the computer so it goes boom at the right time. Can't be too long before a scope-maker teams up with Barrett to make the round talk to the laser scope outside of Military development. (Kinda like the onboard computer built into the scopes of some of the .223 and .338 lapua sniper rifles we've been reading about to calc windage, etc.)

Rules of engagement be damned... if a dirtbag is shooting at any soldier of the US, I'm all for anything new that goes boom and kills the dirtbags deader.

-Case

It does look like a b@stardized super soaker, and that laser/scope thing looks straight out of 1979....

I think it's a great idea that we can make work with our level of technology, but it's not streamlined. Wait another 30 years and you'll see weapons with the same capability in a much smaller and more efficient package.

I hear they got the idea of a bad guy chasing, exploding bullet from these guys:D

Excellent "Who's Framing Roger Rabbit" reference...

3966-21221.gif

66864-21221.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF! hahaah lets fix something thats not broke, and oh yeah, lets tack on an extra 437,500,000 for us tax payers to pay for.the government is a damn joke. lets just get laser beam guns,or maybe some **** BOY weapons.ahhahaha ,if it cant see through woman's cloths i dont want it.:D:s0114:

Wow the best technology in weaponary and bunch of 19 year old @$$ clowns are packing these around?

The timing couldn't be better. With all the problems with diplomat cables exposing our secrets and the N Korea 'stuff'..... I think we are flexing our muscles.

SF-

The round does not talk back to the gun after launch. It knows how far to go before detonating via the laser range finder before it is fired. The fuse then counts the number of rotations it makes in the air to equal say 300 yards. If the rifling is 1 turn in 12 inches, then 900 rotations later it goes boom. Neat huh? :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top