JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Before I move this to another online forum, I thought I'd start with the folks right here at NWFA. I picked up a Type 99 Arisaka on the cheap recently and had a few questions I'd like to ask for those that have experience with them.

From what I can tell from the markings, it was produced in early 1944 at the Toyo Kogyo arsenal. Like many of these rifles, changes were made after it arrived here. The mum is still there, but is partially destroyed by someone who decided to drill/tap the receiver sometime in the past. The bolt has been jeweled and looks really nice. A Williams peep sight was added. And, like many, it was re-chambered to .30-06 with a new barrel and front sight. The original stock was cut down to make it more of a junior size rifle.

The rifled action of the gun seems to be in great working order, tight, smooth operation, good trigger. I'm going to replace the stock with either a traditional type 99 stock or maybe something newer like the version Boyd's sells. The finish is pretty beat up. I'm considering giving it a Duracoat finish using their DuraBlue product. I didn't put a lot into this gun, so I don't mind doing some of these mods since it's hardly the stock gun it once was.

So, what I've been able to find online, there may be issues with the re-chambering of these guns to .30-06. What I've found online would indicate that if the barrel is marked US .30 Cal, the re-chamber was done here. If it's marked 30-06 (which this is), it was possible re-chambered over seas, even by the Japanese themselves. I've understood the US ones would be better.

Have any of you had any experience with a re-chambered type 99? What are your thoughts? I'll likely have it checked by a gunsmith, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

I have no idea, but if you need a new barrel if that one's chamber turns out to not be in spec numrich has then for $47

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1281590.htm

That's great - I had meant to ask about that in the OP. I've heard that loading for 7.7 is pretty easy to do, and since I'm getting myself rolling in loading, that would be one I wouldn't mind taking a shot at.

Don't know much about the Arisaka type 99, but by chance I just got one that has 30-06 etched on the side left side of the barrel, I put a 30-06 snap cap and it chambers and ejects properly. I read in other forums that back in the 50s and 60s many Arisakas type 99 were converted from 7,.7 japanese to 30-06 , some people might have done a good job, others not.
Mine has redfield iron sights instead of the original ones, so I suspect if previous owner spent the money to do that mine might be ok to shoot, but the prudent thing to do is to have a gunsmith check before firing it.

Curious to hear how your Arisaka turns out.

Don't know much about the Arisaka type 99, but by chance I just got one that has 30-06 etched on the side left side of the barrel, I put a 30-06 snap cap and it chambers and ejects properly. I read in other forums that back in the 50s and 60s many Arisakas type 99 were converted from 7,.7 japanese to 30-06 , some people might have done a good job, others not.
Mine has redfield iron sights instead of the original ones, so I suspect if previous owner spent the money to do that mine might be ok to shoot, but the prudent thing to do is to have a gunsmith check before firing it.

Curious to hear how your Arisaka turns out.

I won't be able to report - I ended up trading it off a week ago with a guy who wanted a smaller hunting rifle for his daughter. I never fired it, but he took it out right away and sent me some photos of the results. Looks like a good shooter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top