JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question 1: I picked up a G40 yesterday. I removed the slide but, when I went to put it back on, it was a hard no. As in, it reached a point where it was a firm stop. I removed the slide on my G29 to compare and see if I could logically see the problem (which caused Part 2 of this post). I was finally able to see that the firing pin safety was sticking out further on the 20 than the 29 causing it to get blocked by the trigger. I used a down to push it down slightly and everybody slid right into place. So, is this a safety concern, something I'll need to consider during reassembly each time, or is it worth replacing the pin spring (my assumption of what the problem is)?

Question 2: After I finally figured out the issue with the G20 and got it assembled, I went to reassemble the G29. I'd been removing and reattaching the slide multiple times to try to analyze what was going on with the other on and I noticed that each time I'd remove the slide, the guide rod assembly was not completely seated. On the final reattachment, I experienced what I'd read about a couple months ago and dreaded. The guide rod spring shoved itself and the barrel out the front of the frame. This picture is from this thread and is a mirror image of what mine did. After fighting with it for a little while, I finally pulled the trigger and it freed the slide to come off the front. I've been reading to no avail about how to avoid this in the future other than "the guide rod doesn't ever seat correctly" and "make sure it's properly assembled". Neither of which give me great confidence going forward

Glock.jpg

When the guide rod is protruding out, as pictured above, are you able to pull or move it at all? I've done that in the past and was able to get the GR seated with the slide installed.

All my Glock are Gen 3 so I'm not sure what the deal is with the newer dual captive assemblies but I do know the guide rod pops out of that notch position normally, that's the reassembly position of the guide rod, not the operating position the guide rod. Make sure you fully seat the base of the guide rod before reassembling the gun, even if you didn't take the barrel and guide rod out of the slide.

When the guide rod is protruding out, as pictured above, are you able to pull or move it at all? I've done that in the past and was able to get the GR seated with the slide installed.
Yes. I'd read in the thread I linked where the guy had pulled the guide rod, turned the gun upside down, and maneuvered the barrel out the top. I pulled on the rod but couldn't replicate what he did with the barrel. Maybe it was me pulling on the rod that caused it to re-seat. Good to know in case there's ever a next time.

I do know the guide rod pops out of that notch position normally, that's the reassembly position of the guide rod, not the operating position the guide rod. Make sure you fully seat the base of the guide rod before reassembling the gun, even if you didn't take the barrel and guide rod out of the slide.
Stellar information. That makes me feel less frustrated that I had to re-seat it every time I attached the slide.

Anybody have input on the 40MOS firing pin safety?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top