JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I've finally made a decision on my first AR build. I've been toying around with various calibers (don't really need another .223 - but wanted to build an AR from the ground up..) .22LR, .458 SOCOM, 9mm... All have pros and cons: ammo cost, interchangeability of parts, fun to shoot, practicality...

I've collected all the parts for a complete lower, and was just holding out on upper parts until I made a decision. Today, I committed. I found a Grendel 16" Lothar Walther w/ bolt. Let the building begin... :D

As always, any advise from you Grendel folks would be much appreciated!

I just finished building my 6.5 Grendel just waiting on my new gas block front flip sight and rear sight. Now trying to deside on optics.. but the 6.5 I think would be a better choice!

But after talking to Alexander Arms yesterday, there is a waiting list and depending on what you ordered determind the wait time.

post pics of the new rifle!

OK guess its not quite "built" . more of mocked up. waiting for upper receiver vise block so I can properly tighten everything. didnt mean to miss lead. Trust me I want nothing more then to take it out and work it in. LOL

Last Edited:
I must sample this rifle when you are done.

Range trip!!!!

Absolutely! You'll have to try my AUG too. I'm going to head up to the range on Wednesday to sight in the Micro T1 I have on it. It's on a Larue mount, and it is _so_ nice :)

You should have my lower on Tuesday- So hopefully I'll be catching up with you then :)

Awesome choice! The ballistics on the Grendel are impressive, especially beyond 800 yards (with a bit longer barrel:)). You are going to have a fantastic rifle when you are all done. I would love to hear your range report when you get it finished.

I've got a chamber reamer for 6mmAR from Dave Kiff that I plan to use to build a match upper. The 6mmAR is the 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm for use in High Power competition. Let me know if you find a good source of brass.

But after talking to Alexander Arms yesterday, there is a waiting list and depending on what you ordered determind the wait time.

I actually bought the barrel and bolt from a guy online who had it on hand. It should hopefully be here in a week or two. I think I would have preferred an 18", but I heard the wait times were pretty rough, and I think the price was pretty good.

Awesome choice! The ballistics on the Grendel are impressive, especially beyond 800 yards (with a bit longer barrel:)). You are going to have a fantastic rifle when you are all done. I would love to hear your range report when you get it finished.

I've got a chamber reamer for 6mmAR from Dave Kiff that I plan to use to build a match upper. The 6mmAR is the 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm for use in High Power competition. Let me know if you find a good source of brass.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep everyone informed. I was thinking of using this thread as a "build" thread. Would it make more sense to start a new thread dedicated to documenting the build? Or post photos, problems, rough language, and successes in this one?

I actually bought the barrel and bolt from a guy online who had it on hand. It should hopefully be here in a week or two. I think I would have preferred an 18", but I heard the wait times were pretty rough, and I think the price was pretty good.

Well you can always order a longer barrel, then change out when it ever shows up, then sell the used one (or build another rifle ;))

Build list so far:

Spikes Tactical Pirate lower
RRA NM trigger
RRA LPK
Magbus FDE CTR
Magbus FDE MIAD grip

Vltor MUR upper receiver
Alexander Arms Bolt
Alexander Arms 16" Stainless barrel
Colt Bolt Carrier

Next item on the list: Daniel Defense Lite Rail

Upcoming Events