JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I am now several months into owning the .357 Poly Protector. I have put around 600 rounds through it, 400 .38 and 200 .357. I have had no problems, it has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger, and it still seems as tight as the day I bought it. I have had it out in all weathers, including an unplanned dunk into Puget Sound, and no corrosion or finish problems. I am using the smaller boot grip and this is one of the best stock grips I have ever used. Although it is still impressive shooting .357 158 grain JSP out of it, it is not acutely painful, as I have experienced with other revolvers. I attribute this to the grips and the 23 ounces loaded weight. I also like the fiber optic sight on the front.

I like this revolver so much that I bought another one from Bud's and it is now my truck gun. It replaces my Taurus 85 concealed hammer stainless. I try to keep only my more relatively-inexpensive handguns in the vehicle. Even though it is locked in one of the car cable safes, if someone is clever enough to bring bolt-cutters, it is gone. I am keeping it loaded with Remington .38+p 125 grain JHP, and I have a couple of ammo wallets in the car loaded with the Remington and the .357 158 grain JSP. The .357 158 grain JSP is what I carry in the woods, so I wanted a reload of that in case I break down out in the backwoods.

So from my perspective, two thumbs up for the Taurus Protector Poly.

Ive considered picking one up. I do like Taurus as everything I own from them has worked well. Ive just had poor experiances with polymer anything and it breaking. Not from Taurus, but in general. Think I may keep my eyes open for a little poly revolver here soon for CC.

I also have a LCR in .38. The Ruger has correspondingly higher quality to go with the higher price of an additional $ 250 or so, and I would not argue that the Taurus has equivalent fit and finish to the Ruger. Nor does the Taurus have as good a trigger as the LCR, which is quite possibly amongst the best revolver triggers I have ever used in my 37 years of owning revolvers. In terms of functionality, I am of the opinion that the Taurus is the equal of the Ruger, and I prefer the front sight and the boot grip of the Taurus over the Ruger. I own more Ruger revolvers and S&W pistols than any other brand, and I also own Taurus revolvers and pistols since they offer things I cannot find elsewhere. Price is not a major consideration for me since I can pretty much afford to buy whatever I want. I wish that Taurus would bring back the titanium revolvers, since I would like to buy a few more of those. The Protector Polys are going to be in my 'tool guns' group, where functionality and ruggedness are my primary concerns.

I am also still holding my breath for Ruger to bring out a LCRx in .357 with a 3 inch barrel, or for Taurus to do the equivalent. I can promise that will become my new trail gun for outdoor activities.

Well, there's a first, someone that has something nice to say about a Taurus :rolleyes:. My only recent experience with then is my PT-92 that I bought brand new last April, excellent shooter, and other than an early extraction issue caused by a burr in the extractor channel, it's been flawless through 1500 or so rounds of various ammo. It happens to be for sale, but only because I've fallen in love with CZ pistols, currently have 3 and am trying to collect the funds for my next. Congrats on the new pistol, if I was looking for a carry revolver, I'd definitely give one a look. Later.

Dave

We have another couple over to watch the Seahawks game and I was showing them the Taurus. The guy looked it over, dry-fired it a few times and said 'So this is essentially your revolver equivalent of a Glock', which I thought was an excellent description.

I have a poly protector in 38spl, i have zero complaints, i paid 308.00 out the door and feel it was worth every cent, it lead me to buy the poly public defender, great grips, great sights, accurate, light, and great prices.

I have several Taurus handguns, 380 Spectrum, 9 MM PT-111 G2 (and have not picked up my new G2C) a older (1999) stainless M-66 a seven shot 4" 357 and my Taurus 605 a 357 snubby which I believe is the steel version of the OP's gun. Grips are different and I did not like the boot grip on mine, I then had Hogue and now have even better ATI (they don't fit the poly's) I like all mine.

How do you like the spectrum?
I have only fired 14 rounds of PMC hardball and 7 rounds of Underwood XTP +P. All went well, very promising, but I need to shoot it 100+ rounds to really endorse it. I found it to be easy shooting compared to a LCP, accurate enough for me (I was just plinking) everything fed and fired. I will eventually shoot a wider variety of ammo (Shooting a Ruger LC-380 at the same time)

I had feeding issues with my first lcp, seems like all the micros ive had including the extremely over priced kimber micro 9 and god awful kahr pm9 all have severe issues cycling defensive rounds as they catch on the feed ramp, the spectrum is kind of cool looking and i found one for insanely cheap.

I had feeding issues with my first lcp, seems like all the micros ive had including the extremely over priced kimber micro 9 and god awful kahr pm9 all have severe issues cycling defensive rounds as they catch on the feed ramp, the spectrum is kind of cool looking and i found one for insanely cheap.
I liked and disliked my Kahr CW-380, which is similar to a P-380 with cheaper MIM Parts. I replaced the striker with a solid steel one and the guide rod with a SS one all from Lakeline LLC. They have some Kahr, Ruger and Taurus parts. Any way mine seems to love Hornady and Underwood using the conical XTP bullets. Mine shoots PMC Hardball all day long, but not Fiocchi hardball. I keep mine loaded with Underwood XTP's and it is then reliable and accurate and does not kill my hand. It is smaller than my LCP's. Definitely my "Deep Cover" gun I usually carry a seven round spare magazine for it.

Taurus TCP and Kahr PM9 in my rotation. No problems with either. The PM9 was bought used and has approx 1000 rounds through it. Eats everything I feed it.

Other than replacing the original guide rod with a stainless steel guide rod, the TCP has been flawless with any ammo I have put through it including steel case.

I have had other Taurus models in the past: PT 145, PT 1911. No problems with any of them.

No experience with Taurus revolvers, or any other revolver for that matter, just an auto loader guy I guess......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

I like this revolver so much that I bought another one from Bud's and it is now my truck gun. It replaces my Taurus 85 concealed hammer stainless. I try to keep only my more relatively-inexpensive handguns in the vehicle. Even though it is locked in one of the car cable safes, if someone is clever enough to bring bolt-cutters, it is gone. I am keeping it loaded with Remington .38+p 125 grain JHP, and I have a couple of ammo wallets in the car loaded with the Remington and the .357 158 grain JSP. The .357 158 grain JSP is what I carry in the woods, so I wanted a reload of that in case I break down out in the backwoods.

So from my perspective, two thumbs up for the Taurus Protector Poly.

Interesting looking idea. Not being a wheel gun person I did not even know Taurus had done this. Looked at the price here and could find them for $310 out the door compared to the LCR which was over $200 more out the door. Back when I often carried a 5 shot .38 I had a couple of the Taurus's. Never a problem. If I was with someone who wanted a wheel gun in .357 for the savings I would certainly have a long hard look at one of these.

Yes and if you like just a 38 then Taurus now offers a 856, a long established model 85 with a six shot cylinder, No +P but still a six shooter.