Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Two shootings in two days....

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Two shootings in two days, and the problem with ‘moral outrage’

Two high-profile shootings in two days – one at an elementary school near Bremerton and the other along a state highway that left a State Trooper dead – have given anti-gunners the launch pad they invariably look for to demand stronger gun laws.

Two shootings in two days, and the problem with

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  2. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

We just had two shooting down here in Portland as well. A bouncer at a night club and two sleeping homeless men. No doubt our fine Mayor will talk more about getting "these guns off the streets". Keep up the good work, Mr. Workman. I read your articles in many magazines. Kip.

3. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

Now this poses a question. If a measure doesn't work 100%, should it be abandoned ? Or what should be the threshold ? What if there is no quantifiable way
    to estimate efficiency of some regulation ?

4. Blue Devil PA

Blue Devil PA Boise Active Member

I did notice in the "man on the street" interviews from a local news program regarding the school shooting that had all three interveiwees saying basically the same thing: "lock your guns up". I thought this was extremely positive and certainly the "correct" reaction, at least from my standpoint. Certainly better than the "guns are bad, evil things and should be destroyed" BS that is common in MSM.

5. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

Parental fail in the school shooting. Your thirdgrader shouldn't have access to your guns.......Should the parents be held liable?

6. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

Looks like Kline is gearing up to introduce a gun safe or trigger lock law?

Local News | Boy, 9, charged in Washington school shooting | Seattle Times Newspaper

A 9 year old kid I can forgive. A meth head 'parent' who leaves a 45 H&K handgun where a 9 year old can get to it? Not so much...

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  7. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

ALL THE MORE REASON to get more honest citizens to arm themselves.
    Crime diminishes in areas with high carry rates.
    Time to stop talking and fight back and put a stop to being a victim !
    SIMPLE FIX

accessbob and (deleted member) like this.
  8. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

I thought there was precedent for adults being held liable for leaving firearms available where they can be taken/used/abused by children. Could be wrong, but I thought there was something on the books.

9. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

Crime diminishes nationwide. Nobody so far has been able to prove connection between carry and crime. The best we have
    right now is "more guns doesn't mean more crime".

10. GuyBMeredith

GuyBMeredith Salem, Oregon Active Member

All these "sensible" gun control measures should have sunset dates. If they don't prove to be effective they just go away.

11. eganx

yeah dude....if I was carrying at that school I totally would have put the thirdgaerd down :rollingeyes:

More guns in the school sitiuation would have made no difference

12. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Well in the kid's case the gun was in his backpack and went off inside his backpack. So it's not like he was assaulting another classroom. Furthermore, my fear is that, the legislation on this will be too broad in either accountability of someone other than the child or in people who don't even have kids. I don't have any kids that live with me. I live alone. I'm not concerned about my cat having an ND. Why should I be required to buy a safe? The same god damn reason I shouldn't be required to buy health insurance If I choose not to feed in to that scam. On the accountability side, there is reasonable to an average person and then there is reason to an anti-gunner. Two VERY different outlooks on situations. Our justice system is set up to be based on the average person's reason, NOT the extremists who want to force their beliefs on people.

That's honestly the problem we are having with everything in our country. We were founded as a nation that, as long as you weren't harming the life, liberty, and property of others, you could do whatever the hell you wanted. Now we are a nation of, you can only do what won't offend someone else's extremist agenda and beliefs.

13. eganx

You shouldn't be required to buy a safe, but you should be held liable if your kid takes your gun and shoots another kid at school. Your children should not have access to your fireamrs, and if they do, you made that choice and should bear the responsability of that decision.

97321, accessbob, Norm0931 and 3 others like this.
  14. g26

g26 NW Washington New Member

I don't have a problem with requiring gun safes or trigger locks, per se.... As long as people understand that any gun control laws still won't prevent a little kid from finding and taking a gun to school. I don't leave my guns lying around the house... in fact no one in my household knows I carry. But does the crackhead parent down the street keep all guns locked up? Are those guns even legal? And if there was a law about keeping all guns secured, that still won't make irresponsible people act more responsibly.

I cringed when I heard about this case because my kid is the same age. On the radio yesterday, the father and the uncle were going on and on about how this boy was a good kid. The adults in his life are not so good, though, IMHO.

15. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

If the news is accurate, I have a hard time seeing anti-firearms enthusiasts getting much traction on the trooper death. An ex-convict with a history of violent intent toward LE isn't what one would consider the "average firearm owner."

Woman arrested in state trooper's murder - Local News - Seattle, WA - msnbc.com

People determined to break the law will do so. That's just the way it is.

16. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

17. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I had access to all the guns in my home from age 5 when we moved there until the day I left. No safe, no locks,
    I think the locks are a palcebo.

18. eganx

I had access to a 12g and a loaded glock from an early age, the rest were locked up. In my previous statement however, I said nothing about locking them up to restrict access. If you have a firearm collection and value it, you usually have it locked up somehow, which I do. I also have a 12g and a .45 not locked up for the purpose of home defense, and I carry the .45 daily. Both guns are not available to my child, granted he is 8 months old. If he were 10 years old, he still would not be able to access them in their current locations to the point of taking them to school.

There are people who do not lock up their firearms, and stash them through out their house. That is their choice to make. If they have children, and their child gets one of these stashed guns and shoots a kid at school with it, they(the irresponsible parent) should be held responsible. Their choice was the deciding factor in enabling the child to acquire a firearm.

19. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

My dad's guns were never lock, I had my own .22 when I 12. Dad purchsed that one. I purchased my own hunting rifle with my own money when I was 16. (well before 1968)

I never lock any of mine up, never have, and we have raised 5 daughters, and have 13 1/2 grandkids now. All of them shoot and know how to handle a gun safely. What good is a gun locked up in a safe when someone is kicking in your door? or a bear is trying to break in (which is actually more likely with us)

People with criminal intent will steal a gun from a cop if no other way is available. They don't care what the law is. The poor kid was the product of a very disfunctional family, what can I say...there was no-one there for him, he made a mistake, now he needs to pay the price, whatever that ends up being...In this kid's case I am not sure jail would be a good thing...maybe the old Native way would work better.

20. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Anyone care to point out to the press that the trooper was shot by an ex-felon?

Served his penance my arse!