JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not sure why ex-cop Reeves didn't get the manager to throw Oulson out?
Good point and I am glad someone brought it up because it think that makes the following not applicable as a defense:
Reeves admitted to firing his weapon at the victim because "he was in fear of being attacked,"
He was not enforcing the law and it was not his place to enforce the rules of the theater.

Imagine their reaction when the grid goes down.

He may be a twit himself (who earns 26 million a year doing almost nothing), but Ashton Kutcher took a lot of heat a couple of years back for saying just that same thing.

Ashton told an interviewer that when the economy collapses and people's electronic gadgets all stop working that they will go nuts and turn on one another. Kutcher expects a collapse in the not too distant future and runs three miles every morning and trains in Krav Maga in preparation.

OK, the guy is no Einstein but that impressed me a bit. Mostly because multi-millionaires typically do not think that way at all. Kudos to the guy for still being a realist.

Oulson threw a bag of popcorn at Reeves, according to a police report, and then the former police officer took out a .380 semi-automatic handgun and shot Oulson.
Oulson's wife Nicole raised her hand just before the shot was fired and the bullet went through her hand and into her husband's chest

I am not sure why ex-cop Reeves didn't get the manager to throw Oulson out?

Reeves admitted to firing his weapon at the victim because "he was in fear of being attacked," according to the police report. I am not sure if a bag of popcorn qualifies as assault?

You're twisting things around just like the "news" media does. Throwing a bag of popcorn and hitting someone is assault, but he was afraid of being physically assaulted by a my younger (and presumably in better fighting condition) and the other mans wife apparently was trying to pull her husband away which is why she got hit in the hand. As I said earlier, disparity of force will enter into this as the assailant was 43 and the other was 71. You don't have to be on the ground being beaten to be afraid for your life.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

I'm going to show this to my kids, ages 10, 12 and 15. Good manners don't cost you anything. I wasn't there, I couldn't tell you who is to bless and who is to blame. The take-away, is that this was a preventable tragedy.

If Kutcher thinks people will wig out when their electronics don't work think about when all the people on the SERIOUS mood-altering meds run out. Probably a good thing cell phones won't be contributing to the annoyances. When one packs a piece it is necessary to ignore the conduct of sub-human cretins. This applies to talking in the theater, cutting you off in traffic, giving you the finger, etc. People who do this kind of stuff will probably annoy some psycho who will teach them some mannerss and you won't eat the bad karma..

Couple of things -
1 the Prosecutor does not think this will fit in the Stand Your Ground Law - and arrested the ex-cop.
2 the defendants lawyer is saying he may use SYG as allegedly the victim threw pop corn.
3 the defendant was in an earlier altercation with a woman who was texting, she has come forward to the prosecutor - the defendant "glared' and followed her to the ladies room. Pattern of behavior?
4 the defendants son, also a cop, almost had to make the initial arrest as he was late into the theater. Doesn't' that piss you off, people walking in front of you at the theater during the commercials and previews! Man!
5 The victims in this case are sympathetic unlike that previous FL shooting fiasco. Unless it turns out he had Skittles.

This is not the most reliable news source - but are any of them these days
Ex-Cop?s Shooting of Texting Moviegoer Ends in Tragedy - The Daily Beast

ps
For those of you who argue a .380 is not enough of a cartridge - this bullet went thru another person and killed who it was aimed at.

One shooting with no real data on the shootee (size, condition, meds, drunk, psycho, etc) means little.. many people have been killed by 22 LR

The latest news answered my questions. The retired cop Reeves did try to get the manager after arguing with Oulson about his texting, but that manager was busy dealing with another customer. Apparently Oulson chided Reeves about going to the manager to tell on him for texting. The argument started up again, Oulson threw his cellphone at the older man, then grabbed Reeves own popcorn out of his hand and threw it back in his face. Sounds like both men were acting like jerks. Reeves drew out of his pocket, extended and shot very quickly. An overreaction I think.

Don't bring popcorn to a gun fight? :s0131:

I'm pretty sure I could never serve in the jury for this murder trial. The shooter was definitely in the wrong, and overreacted, but I still think people who text during movies are two steps below dog feces.

Could be an over reaction. Could also be Reeves has a medical situation where being hit would cause serious injury, or even death, for example the results of significant neurosurgery. So even if Oulson did not know this had reached a lethal level, Reeves knew. Would Reeves then have been justified in shooting? It sounds to me as though after Reeves came back from looking for the manager he did not join into the hostilities until he drew his gun. Might he have been acting in pure self defense ?

What analyst are saying is that technically since Oulson threw a cell phone and popcorn at Reeves, that is Felony Assault on a Senior Citizen. On the other hand, in the video of the shot it appears that Reeves had his hand on his gun before the being hit with the popcorn. Premeditation?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top