JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After watching KATU coverage today, I noticed two new buzz terms in use. ....Did you notice them ?

The first, I believe came from the morning Clackamas County press conference. A CCSO Sergeant, after being bombarded with the usual "Assault Rifle" term from reporters, made a noble effort to correct them by saying, "We don't use that term, it was a semi-automatic rifle". After learning the shooter was not wearing a "bullet proof" vest, the reporters pressed the Sgt. to describe what he was wearing. He responded by calling it a "ballistic load bearing vest". I assume the use of the word "ballistic" was descriptive of the material it was made of, ballistic nylon. Now.....KATU has picked up on that and ran with this sexy sounding phrase, we now have a new accessory for the well dressed mass shooter, the Ballistic Vest. ABC is using it now, the term conjuring up all sorts of imagined capabilities.

The second was hatched today from the OHSU Doctor's press conference. A comment from the Doctor describing the victim's wound included the phrase "Assault Rifle Wound". Now, we all know that being shot by any rifle creates a lot of damage, but now being shot by the supernatural "assault rifle", is even somehow worse, by virtue of it's color and appearance.

These spin phrases are now sure to be picked up by not only the media, but the usual list of politicians, and we can all thank our local media for it.

The fortune cookie said..."May you live in interesting times".

Great.

Nah I didn't catch that but I cringed when the Sheriff spokesman insisted that this wasn't a terrorist attack. This little SOB shot up innocent civilians at a mall to shock, terrorize and go out famous. No it wasn't radical Islamic terror but it isn't PC to call that terrorism either. What the heck is terror nowdays?

I am appalled at the use of "Massacre" and "Rampage"...Hell Seattle Cops Kill more Folks in a day and they don't use these words when reporting a Police Shooting

Why Not Just say some jackass got pissed and shot 3 people in a Mall....Not Make it sound like He lobbed a beehive round into a Battalion of VC....Numb Skulls..

Honey Boo-Boo, or any other show on TLC. On a serious note, "news" that is fear driven is more terrifying to me....

IC. That's fine but I assume you read the OP? He posting about the media using (yes) fear driven phrases. I'm providing more examples to show how the "if it bleeds it leads" media selectively uses semantics to sway opinion.

I prefer intellectual honesty myself and except for the motive this attack is much like the ones the media reported on endlessly four years ago. Other than the semantics what changed? Attacks like this get eyeballs even more than the robberies, rapes and murders that they report on every night of the week. They want us to fearfully tune in as long as they sing us a lullaby at the end of the broadcast?

No, they want to scare us every single night but they want to pick the bad guys, and we gun owners are frequently it.

I'll bet Ginny Burdick is a hero to almost all of the crew at Channel 2, possible exception of Steve Dunn.

That is what divides the People from The Sheeple.....I refuse to be a frightened kid under the bed...I hope all of the rest of You are the same way...I am tired of these so called Reporters keeping the Sheep in a state of Fear...True Americans are not afraid..We rush into gunfire and stomp the ever loving life out of the bad guys...or at least we used to...

Great.

Nah I didn't catch that but I cringed when the Sheriff spokesman insisted that this wasn't a terrorist attack. This little SOB shot up innocent civilians at a mall to shock, terrorize and go out famous. No it wasn't radical Islamic terror but it isn't PC to call that terrorism either. What the heck is terror nowdays?

Not sure if it was the same press conference or not but the sheriff I saw speaking was pretty good. The press kept referring to an assault rifle and the sheriff kept correcting them calling it a semi-auto that could only fire one round per trigger pull.

They also kept trying to refer to it as a "Military Rifle" several times like they were trying to trick him into slipping up on his terminology so they could then twist it and add more drama to the story but he did really good at repeatedly correcting them stating it was a "semi automatic rifle just like a 10/22" he had to practicly spell it out for the tards.

One of the female reporters inquired if it was possible that a legally armed citizen may have shot and killed the shooter.

The Clackamas county sherriff was on point with terminology no matter how the same question was worded repeatedly different

One of the female reporters inquired if it was possible that a legally armed citizen may have shot and killed the shooter.

The Clackamas county sherriff was on point with terminology no matter how the same question was worded repeatedly different

Did anyone answer the legally armed citizen question? Or has it been 100% confirmed that the crack-pot took his own life?

All law enforcement and emergencey responders handled this perfectly. I applaud them and the citizens who were on the scene. Thank god this jack wagon was a bad shot. My heart goes out to the fallen and wounded for sure. It could have been so much worse. It does surprise me an armed citizen didnt have a chance or whatever to respond. It still may come out that way. The Sheriff is doing a great job keeping info at the minium and correct.

Let this serve to the rest of us as a lesson. Always be aware of your enviroment and be prepared.

Question for you Clackamas types...is the Clackamas Town Center a posted "weapons free zone"

It's been a while since I've been there, but I remember seeing the little pistol with the red circle over it on the doors. I may be wrong, I know the theater has a no weapons policy for sure. Regardless I still carry if I'm at the theater or mall, concealed is concealed

Hi All,
I also agree that the Clackamas Sheriff Office did and is doing a great job. I wrote to the Sheriff Office an at-a-boy. I think that if you have the time, Please do the same.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

The Sheriff's spokesman did a fantastic job. When that reporter lady twice tried to get him to comment on the "military arm" he flatly told her both times, "It is an AR-15 Semi-automatic rifle", and commented no more.

I did hear that dickwad doctor. What a putz!

I heard the term "Automatic Rifle" from one of the female reporters on ch 12 yesterday a little after 1:00pm. I promtly sat down and sent a two sentance email that there was a big difference between automatic and semi-automatic and the importance of correct terminoligy in their line of work. Fifteen minutes later the same reporter used the CORRECT term.

I'm not sure the reorters are familiar enough with the lingo, it might in our best interest to gently attempt to educate rather than accuse them of having some kind of ulterior motives.
Just a thought?

Mike

I would think that reporters would do their homework on the terminology. I know that's reaching, but i wish we were back in the days when they reported the news. Not trying to put spin on every thing. It is so hard to day to find just the straight news.
The world we live in. I am ready for it to come out that this kid was a member of some movement like Black Bloc or Ocuppy. Do you think that it will get much coverage. Nope.

Buzzwords and catch phrases are what people remember and that is what can help sway thier opinion.

Assault Rifle vs. Military rifle vs. automatic rifle, vs. semi-automatic rifle--which stirs emotions, what do people remember, what will cause people to take a stand one way or the other?

Think about "sniper rifle"

just before the 1994 AWB Feinstein was saying that "assault weapons are not accurate and only good for spray firing." Then during the "DC sniper" events the rifle used was a "highly accurate deadly assault rifle."

Now do the same with other rifles.

Sniper rifle vs. hunting rifle, vs. target rifle, vs, military sniper rifle. Anything that they can do to demonize guns will be done.

Also with the CTC shooting many reporters were calling is a "high powered assault rifle" I love AR's but I do not consider them "high powered"

agreed, the scary buzzword stuff is crap. so make your voices heard on the subject. a year or two ago I had gotten fed up with sotries in the oregonian using the term 'cop killer' when referring to certain types of arms and ammo..so i emailed the editors at the oregonian and said my piece in a fairly well written and reasonable message..never expected a response but actually did get one, and had a few conversations with the person..in the end, they agreed with me that the term was 'misleading and prejudicial' and they agreed to cease using that term in there stories..sure blew my fkkn mind lol...but just goes to show that reason can occasionally prevail

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top