JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
this just came across my (imfo flash alert) in my email

:s0155::s0155:Wednesday afternoon, OSP detectives and troopers arrested ZACHARY JON PYLE, age 23, and DAVID REIGN WILKS JR., age 26, at a Florence-area construction site where both men worked. OSP transported both men to the Tillamook County Jail where they were booked on the following charges: * Criminal Mischief in the First Degree (Class C Felony)* Criminal Mischief in the Second Degree (Class A Misdemeanor)* Criminal Trespass in the Second Degree (Class C Misdemeanor)* Recklessly Endangering Another Person (Class A Misdemeanor)* Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree (Class B Misdemeanor--
FOR THE WHOLE STORY-GO TO--OSP --NEWS RELEASES
STEVEN

Here's the article.

For the Gazette-Times | Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:02 am | No Comments Posted

Font Size: Default font size Larger font size Two men were arrested Wednesday in connection with the January vandalism at the historic Cape Meares Lighthouse. Tillamook County District Attorney William Porter announced the arrests Thursday morning.

The men were arrested in Florence where they worked following the execution of a search warrant at their Oceanside residence the same day.

Following investigative efforts helped by a tip, investigators served a search warrant Feb. 10 at an Oceanside residence located in the 200 block of Hillsdale Street W. The following agencies were involved in Wednesday's ongoing investigation and search warrant execution:

* OSP Criminal Investigations Division detectives

* OSP Patrol and Fish & Wildlife Division troopers

* Tillamook County Sheriff's Office

* Tillamook Police Department

* U.S. Coast Guard Investigative Services

* Tillamook County District Attorney's Office

Detectives seized evidence related to the ongoing investigation that started Jan. 10 when several rounds were fired breaking 15 windows of the Cape Meares Lighthouse and several pieces of a historic Fresnel lens. Additional rounds were fired into an active Coast Guard light and surrounding equipment.

The suspects allegedly drove down a blocked maintenance road in a vehicle to the lighthouse viewing area, and while driving away the vehicle caused damaged to a grassy area.

According to Oregon Parks & Recreation Department officials, the lighthouse lenses had significant historical value and were irreplaceable. Further review and estimates now place damage over a half million dollars.

Wednesday afternoon, OSP detectives and troopers arrested Zachary Jon Pyle, 23, and David Reign Wilks Jr., 26, at a Florence-area construction site where both men worked. OSP transported both men to the Tillamook County Jail where they were booked on the following charges: first- and second-degree criminal mishief, second-degree criminal trespass, recklessly endangering another person and second-degree disorderly conduct. All are misdemeanor charges, except first-degree criminal mischief, which is a Class C felony.

Both men posted bail and were released pending a to-be-announced appearance in Tillamook County Circuit Court.

"We want to thank the prompt, professional investigative skills of the Oregon State Police, US Coast Guard Investigative Services and Tillamook County area law enforcement agencies for bringing us to this point," says Tim Wood, director of Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. "We have a substantial, even daunting, task ahead of us, but it is made much easier with continued leadership from the Coast Guard, and help from the Friends of Cape Meares and the many people who have stepped forward to offer their moral and financial support."

About 10 miles west of Tillamook, Cape Meares Lighthouse went into service January 1890. The lighthouse lens was manufactured in Paris, France, and shipped around Cape Horn up to Oregon, arriving for installation prior to the date the lighthouse went into service.

A reward of up to $6,000 was offered by Oregon Parks & Recreation Department and The Friends of Cape Meares.

I wouldn't call tipping the cops about these two fools ratting out, like it was dishonorable, unsavory, or something.

Whomever it was that got the OSP on their trail did the rest of us shooters a public service, so it should be characterized more politely.:s0155:

Wow,

What A**es.

I hope they have to pay for the damages also. But i am betting they don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

I agree these are probably two guys with nothing. Probably shot out with a .22 that they had and could afford the ammo along with a case of the cheepest beer they could find. Hopefully they do get convicted of a felony so at least there gun rights get taken away.

I am not one to really judge but is just pisses me off when someones property gets damaged for someone elses pleasure:(

Glad the appropiate agencies nailed these idiots. My thanks to them for a fine job. Those lenses in the light house were probaly made in France and are priceless. They should ship them out here to the desert side of the mountains for a little road maintenance in the summer when the buzzworms are active. Spad

They should get something more than a slap. Aren't the lenses over a century old? I think I heard something about the 'house being a registered historical site...that can get them a harsher punishment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top