JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After nearly 40 years of shooting I had a firearms first; two actually. The first was a hang fire of about one second which made me miss a varmint.

Second was a squib (main charge failure ) that pushed the bullet about a half inch down the barrel. Thankfully the bullet's location did not allow another round to be chambered. There is probably not enough giddy up in a 17 to be a hazard but it wouldn't have done the Marlin any good.

I had to use a cleaning rod to force the bullet back down the barrel. Both of these were from a fairly old box of Hornady 17 HMR. Didn't do my cleaning jag any good forcing the bullet back out.

This is an older box of 17 grain lot code C08L02. That box is getting trashed.

You know, I feel like its a common thing lately. Even with new ammo, I have had one hang fire with a 12 ga 6 shot, had a .223 fail to fire, and a couple new 9mm rounds, 2 to be exact. At first i thought i had a light strike problem, but as I hear more and more, this is the quality of the primers that has been manufactured. Thoughts?

I think I had a squib once in my .22 rifle, I'll never know. Had a weak sounding round then a stovepipe jam. Not thinking I cleared the jam and fired another round.
Immediately I realized I should have checked the barrel first! When I did check it was clear and the rifle worked perfect after that but I still wonder.

I've got some Remington USGI 22LR SV that will misfire one in every 20 or 30 rounds (I've run it through several different firearms). Rotate the cartridge so the primer is struck in a different spot and 3/4 of them go off on the second try. That's probably the worst quality ammo I've bought not counting Herters. I got a decent price on it, so considering how hard it is to find bulk 22 right now I'm happy.

Had a co-worker show up at a group shoot with some old 45 ammo, he was running it thru one of mine and had a squib. Case failed to extract of course, but he knew what to do! He cleared the old case and was pulling down for a follow up before I could blink, I BARELY got "CEASE FIRE" out in time. Bullet was half way down the barrel, would have been a bad day if basic safety breif had not covered that anybody can call a CF and everybody freezes when anybody calls CF.

Beware that old surplus stuff!

I had an old 12gauge round squib on me, it was a ancient paper cartridge that my grandpa had sitting around, it went click.. and I waited a good 5 seconds, went to jack out the round and it exploded out the chamber, good thing I had the chamber partially open because the blast just vented out the side.. Little smoke and no harm was done, shotgun rounds are very very safe when they go off outside of the chamber.

I got a crapload of old stuff that has been sitting around for atleast 30+ years. And I refuse to attempt to shoot it. Especially, when its been sitting around in a drawer out in the shed for years, and the brass is turning green.

I got a crapload of old stuff that has been sitting around for atleast 30+ years. And I refuse to attempt to shoot it. Especially, when its been sitting around in a drawer out in the shed for years, and the brass is turning green.

I'll take it!

Promise you'll take a video when you shoot the stuff? If anything "catastrophic" happens we wanna see it. I don't claim to speak for everyone when I say that, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that. ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top