Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Two firearms firsts for me today.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Liberty97045, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

After nearly 40 years of shooting I had a firearms first; two actually. The first was a hang fire of about one second which made me miss a varmint.

Second was a squib (main charge failure ) that pushed the bullet about a half inch down the barrel. Thankfully the bullet's location did not allow another round to be chambered. There is probably not enough giddy up in a 17 to be a hazard but it wouldn't have done the Marlin any good.

I had to use a cleaning rod to force the bullet back down the barrel. Both of these were from a fairly old box of Hornady 17 HMR. Didn't do my cleaning jag any good forcing the bullet back out.

This is an older box of 17 grain lot code C08L02. That box is getting trashed.

GOG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

You know, I feel like its a common thing lately. Even with new ammo, I have had one hang fire with a 12 ga 6 shot, had a .223 fail to fire, and a couple new 9mm rounds, 2 to be exact. At first i thought i had a light strike problem, but as I hear more and more, this is the quality of the primers that has been manufactured. Thoughts?

3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Bad ammo abounds, .22 cal is not consistant, even in name brands. 12 ga, miss fires are common. Have not had problems with centerfire ammo yet.

4. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

I think I had a squib once in my .22 rifle, I'll never know. Had a weak sounding round then a stovepipe jam. Not thinking I cleared the jam and fired another round.
    Immediately I realized I should have checked the barrel first! When I did check it was clear and the rifle worked perfect after that but I still wonder.

5. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Sounds like a bad batch of ammo to me. Too bad!

6. Cheesemaker

Cheesemaker Tillamook Active Member

I've always had issues with .22's failing to fire. Never had a centerfire issue.

7. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The only times i have had failure to fires are from winchester 22 ammo and some steel cased TULA 7.62.

8. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

The only misfires I have experienced has been with Amerc .30 Carbine.

9. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I've got some Remington USGI 22LR SV that will misfire one in every 20 or 30 rounds (I've run it through several different firearms). Rotate the cartridge so the primer is struck in a different spot and 3/4 of them go off on the second try. That's probably the worst quality ammo I've bought not counting Herters. I got a decent price on it, so considering how hard it is to find bulk 22 right now I'm happy.

10. CJ1089

CJ1089 Aloha, Oregon Marveling at the world.

Had a co-worker show up at a group shoot with some old 45 ammo, he was running it thru one of mine and had a squib. Case failed to extract of course, but he knew what to do! He cleared the old case and was pulling down for a follow up before I could blink, I BARELY got "CEASE FIRE" out in time. Bullet was half way down the barrel, would have been a bad day if basic safety breif had not covered that anybody can call a CF and everybody freezes when anybody calls CF.

Beware that old surplus stuff!

11. tarster

tarster Albany Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had an old 12gauge round squib on me, it was a ancient paper cartridge that my grandpa had sitting around, it went click.. and I waited a good 5 seconds, went to jack out the round and it exploded out the chamber, good thing I had the chamber partially open because the blast just vented out the side.. Little smoke and no harm was done, shotgun rounds are very very safe when they go off outside of the chamber.

12. Cheesemaker

Cheesemaker Tillamook Active Member

I got a crapload of old stuff that has been sitting around for atleast 30+ years. And I refuse to attempt to shoot it. Especially, when its been sitting around in a drawer out in the shed for years, and the brass is turning green.

13. Modeler

I'll take it!

14. Flopsweat

Promise you'll take a video when you shoot the stuff? If anything "catastrophic" happens we wanna see it. I don't claim to speak for everyone when I say that, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that. ;)

15. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

Just another reason to have a back up gun (BUG).
    :) Reminds me of "Unforgiven"

16. Modeler

I don't plan on shooting it, I plan on pulling the bullets and using them for reloading :thumbup:

Flopsweat and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Flopsweat

Dang. Not as exciting but far more prudent.