JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am now a single father of a four year old boy. I got to keep both dogs (male and female boxers.) Its too much of a handful to take my son and both dogs on walks and drives, but if I leave one dog at home I feel terrible and the dog thats left behind gets upset. Should I just suck it up and alternate dogs when going out? Any dog experts know if this will adversely effect the dogs temperment?

I am now a single father of a four year old boy. I got to keep both dogs (male and female boxers.) Its too much of a handful to take my son and both dogs on walks and drives, but if I leave one dog at home I feel terrible and the dog thats left behind gets upset. Should I just suck it up and alternate dogs when going out? Any dog experts know if this will adversely effect the dogs temperment?

I have two dogs, 1 year old female airedale and 2 year old male standard schnauzer. I have found inside the home and outside of the home command training with very demonstrative positive reinforcement does the trick. You can take one out for brief command trainng plus reinforcement, and then the second, for brief periods of time and then increasing the separation interval. I never had to do that because my command and positive reinforcement training works very well. You can train your 4 year old to issue commands as well in the home or back yard. Catch them behaving properly and reinforce!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky you that you have custody of your son!

Boxers are a handful - powerful and head strong and energetic! Any dog on a long leash will want to pull, so keep them reined in as much as possible. As stated above consistency is your friend - if you let them get out of control just once, you are pretty much starting all over. If possible, get them good and tired before trying any training. Best of luck!

Thanks! Do you use treats as positive reinforcement or just praise?

I used both either individually i.e. biscuit or praise, or "both" paired together, buiscuit and treat paired at the same time. I also use alot of "baby talk" which I learned from a former trainer/breeder. Dogs realy pay attention to "baby talk praise" different sounds and different master behavior that they discriminate easily. Jump at every opportunity to catch them being good with social or treat praise. Playing catch games is good for them because it uses up their energy and you have the opportunity to praise them for performance. Do alot of training in the house as well. Go to good will and look in their dog book section for behavior training--that should work.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top