JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been a long time in the making, but I think I've finally finished my two project guns to perfection (or at least my satisfaction). I'm not much of a traditional guy, but I also don't like all sorts of tacticool stuff hanging off my rifles. These are built to be very ergonomic, lightweight, and full utility. What do you think?

Modified MAK90
IMG_2830.jpg
More Pictures and Build details

Saiga 12
IMG_2838.jpg

Not a fan of the buttstock, but Id sure like to know more about that front hand guard in the top photo. Good job !!!

Not a fan of the buttstock, but Id sure like to know more about that front hand guard in the top photo. Good job !!!

It's a <broken link removed>. It's designed with the intention that you have a gas tube with no cover (saiga or VEPR) and no handguard retainer plate. To make it fit without modification, you have to cut or remove your handguard retainer and install a Saiga or VEPR style gas tube. To fit with the standard gas tube, you have to cut or machine slots in the side of the handguard to provide the needed relieve. I used a mill, but it would be pretty straight forward to use a dremel cutting disk, since the cut is in line with the existing slots, so only a few cuts have to be made, then you can file it smooth.

zzz.jpg

It's been a long time in the making, but I think I've finally finished my two project guns to perfection (or at least my satisfaction). I'm not much of a traditional guy, but I also don't like all sorts of tacticool stuff hanging off my rifles. These are built to be very ergonomic, lightweight, and full utility. What do you think?

Modified MAK90
IMG_2830.jpg

Saiga 12
IMG_2838.jpg

That is amazing (top)! I am a huge ak fan and am building one myself. I wanted that forend that you have but it was only for the VEPR I thought. *custom machining* right? Haha. I have the NHM 91 with the long barrel so I wanted the same look. Great job man, ill try amd post a pic of mine, it wants to look like yours when it grows up! A work of art!

20130620_170656.jpg

What modifications did you do to that Magpul 870 forehand to make it work? Also does it have a heat shield?

Mainly you have to remove the top tubular section of the handguard to make a channel instead of a tube. There was also some material removed to make it fit snugly on the barrel. There's also an 1/8" tab that was inserted in the rear of the handguard to make a tang to fit into the receiver (there's a dovetail built into the handguard to accomodate this). With these two modifications the handguard fits nicely and there's a slot in the bottom of the handguard that lines up with the mounting screw. There's no heat shield so it performs about the same as the stock handguard. The only thing I still need to address is that there's no recoil lug, so the handguard has the potential to shift. I haven't figured out how I'm going to fix that yet, but will update when I do. There's a guy on Saiga12.com that saw my idea and then made a video of him modifying his, it's pretty good.
0A4CEC87-8797-4C21-A294-4CF075A584F3-997-000001B6DAB354E3.jpg

How is that rear sight on #2 working out for you?

The rear sight is perfection. I originally had the Krebs Rear Ghost sight along with the Dinzag Low front sight post that worked out great. Once I installed the AR style folder though, it raised the cheekweld high enough that I couldn't line up with the sights. I was going to make a custom low profile picitanny rail to fit in front of the ghost ring up to the gas block, but the folder change forced me to come up with a different idea. I went with the Ultimak top rail (top quality by the way). I had to shave off the front sight nub, drill&tap it for the rail. Then I swapped out the front sight post for the Dinzag tall post, which left me with a rear sight to find. I had built a few rifles with the TWS Rear Peep, but I wasn't a huge fan of it, plus I'd have to open up the hole quite a bit due to its placement. I tried to find some of the ghost ring sights with the protective wings similar to PSI, but they were unobtainable. I found the XS Rear Ghost ring and gave it a try, and was very happy I did. It's adjustable and comes with two rings depending on what you prefer. Hope this helps

This might be a good rear sight option: LPA Bar (out of stock of course)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top