JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im gonna put a bull barrel on my ruger and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about twist rates... Im seeing 1 in 9" and one in 16". I mostly shoot cans and squirrels from 20-60 yards. Federal 40 grain 1240fps... Thanks for any input!

Go with a 1:16. That is the standard 10/22 twist rate. The 1:9 is a subsonic barrel. If you are going for almost silent, then the 1:9 with a suppressor and subsonic ammo is the way to go.

Sorry the above info is half INCORRECT.

1:16 is the standard twist for the .22lr. It will accurately shoot standard subsonic ammo (~40gr) all day long safely with or without a silencer.

The faster twist barrels were made for the long (ie heavy) ~60gr bullets that some companies make. Longer bullets need a faster twist to stabilize and if used with a 1:16 barrel with a silencer you could end up with a baffle strike which is a bad thing.

Which are also known as sub sonic rounds ;)

There is a lot more subsonic ammo that is not that heavy. You dont have to have ~60gr bullets to be SS. So it is an incorrect statement that SS ammo need a 1:9 twist barrel. ALL the SS ammo I have ever shot (over 20k) has been 38gr or 40gr which is WAY more common then the ~60gr style.

It is a correct statement to say that long, ie heavy bullets need a faster twist.

All heavy ~60gr .22 bullets are SS but not all SS ammo is heavy. Makes a big difference.

I didn't say subsonic ammo needs 1:9. I said a 1:9 barrel is for subsonic ammo (true statement). Let's not get too technical here. The OP asked if he should get a 1:16 or 1:9 for plinking and squirrel hunting using standard ammo. I answered his question with the answer he needed and gave a brief explanation of what the 1:9 barrel is for: sub sonic ammo. Done

I answered his question with the answer he needed and gave a brief explanation of what the 1:9 barrel is for: sub sonic ammo. Done

Actually, the 1:9 is for heavier weight bullets, such as the 60 gr. already mention. It doesn't have anything to do with whether the round is subsonic or not. That the 60 gr. round is subsonic is inconsequential. There are other subsonic rounds in the normal 22lr weight range that shoot fine out of the 1:16 barrel.

I didn't say subsonic ammo needs 1:9. I said a 1:9 barrel is for subsonic ammo (true statement).

VERY false statement. Most SS ammo does NOT require 1:9.

Let's not get too technical here.

We are not. We are stating simple facts. Technical is what is needed for good information especially when it comes to firearms.

The OP asked if he should get a 1:16 or 1:9 for plinking and squirrel hunting using standard ammo.

Yes he did.

I answered his question with the answer he needed and gave a brief explanation of what the 1:9 barrel is for: sub sonic ammo. Done

Again FALSE. SS ammo does NOT require 1:9. Long bullets DO need a faster twist. Most people say heavy weight bullets need faster twist but it is not the weight that matters. Longer bullets in the same caliber are generally heavier so that answer generally works.

Thanks again guys but take it easy... Jesus Christ.lol. On another note I got a squirrel at 65 yards today with my model 60... I just started shooting the squirrels around my place after they burned my neighbors shop down... So thats my farthest kill to date with a .22

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top