JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I'm wanting to stretch my Remington 700 CP, chambered in 308, 12.5 inch barrel, out to 600+ yards and can't seem to locate the twist rate info. I am wanting this data for my ballistic calculations… any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I'm wanting to stretch my Remington 700 CP, chambered in 308, 12.5 inch barrel, out to 600+ yards and can't seem to locate the twist rate info. I am wanting this data for my ballistic calculations… any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hopefully it's really fast because you'll want a very long bullet with that short barrel. The .308 really suffers with a short barrel.

Most .308 win barrels are 1/12 twist, ESPECIALLY Remmy, and anything shorter then 18 in. will really cut the velocities down!
Might be able to lob a few bullets in the gegeral area of the target at 600 meters, but don't plan to hit anything with reliability or consistency!
Most modern Post 2009 .308 rifle/barrel makers, especially those pushing the limits of the .308 twist them to 1/10 or even 1/9 for the heavies, but to my knoloage, no factory Remmy ever came faster then 1/12!

Most .308 win barrels are 1/12 twist, ESPECIALLY Remmy, and anything shorter then 18 in. will really cut the velocities down!
Might be able to lob a few bullets in the gegeral area of the target at 600 meters, but don't plan to hit anything with reliability or consistency!
Most modern Post 2009 .308 rifle/barrel makers, especially those pushing the limits of the .308 twist them to 1/10 or even 1/9 for the heavies, but to my knoloage, no factory Remmy ever came faster then 1/12!
That's what I'm afraid of! Been practicing at 200 yards to work up to a hunt…now I have the itch for some distance shooting, but not 100% this is the tool to get me there. (And Certainly won't be the 45-70 lol)

Thanks! This is what I suspected after lobbing a few heavier weights, I was able to group an actual pattern on a ISPCA 12X24 inch steel at 500 so was impressed! Next step, I'm going to yank the barrel of and verify manually just to be sure.
I'd say take the handguard off and it's most likely engraved on the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top