JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Green Mountain barrel 34" .50 cal. Deep groove rifling with 1 in 72" twist percussion. Will hit a small styrofoam coffee cup at 125 yds. .490 round ball .020" patch Moose Milk lube w/70grs 3f real black powder. I use the same load for everything. Trail walks deer hunting rabbits what ever. Kentucky windage to adjust.

The inline market gave up on the .54 a very long time ago. The popularity of sabots, power belts, etc means .45 and .50 caliber is about it unless you can find a used Knight or Remington rifle somewhere. Doubt if you'll find anything in a break open action.

As for function, traditional rifles are very functional. As for ease of cleaning, a hooked breach traditional rifle is ridiculously easy to clean. Really don't see what the issue is.
Would it not be nice to see this again? Go back to what the season was really designed for,traditional percussion or flint,RB only,open sights.It wouldn't bother me to see them go to what Penn.used to do,flintlock only!

Ditto all the above.

I say let's go back to the year Oregon radically changed the ML laws to traditional open ignition, caps/flint, loose powder & ball or conical only. It was about 1998 I think and it caught a lot of the "inliners' off guard.

I had a ML tag that year and it was wonderful ! Only a hand full or less of us were in the unit that year because we were shooting traditional!
Would it not be nice to see this again? Go back to what the season was really designed for,traditional percussion or flint,RB only,open sights.It wouldn't bother me to see them go to what Penn.used to do,flintlock only!

Would it not be nice to see this again?
Yep - eliminate the inline market altogether - at least for hunting anyway - but I suspect that's about the only time they ever get shot anyway.

Lets keep the percussion side however as most ML shooters shoot percussion - but I certainly understand Pennsylvania's position on this!

Hmmm...
"Only true elk capable MZ...."
Don't tell that to my antique J.Henry Flintlock Trade rifle , circa 1800 or my Hawken Rifle Copy....:D
Each has gotten elk for me...both using roundball as well.
Andy

It was a Mountain Man true-ism. Mine is better.
You can see the percussion cap;;; you just need to look from the bottom.
I'd love to have a Game warden have to look up there from below the rifle...

Hawken Rifles deserve their own thread....
As there are many "facts" and ideas out there about them that ....far short of reality.
Perhaps with my time off from school a thread about them would not be amiss.....:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads