JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Purchased an Auto Bolt Release from Rimfire last week, along with my hammer bushing for the MKIII. Got that in one of the rifles and it works great. So decided, as I now had a template, to mod the other rifle as well.

A small set of files later (which cost more than the part!) and voila! Job done. I'm going to mod the spare I have and drop that in a buddies rifle so he does not have to buy one. It's an easy fix to do and boy does it make a difference....while the bolt release was not something I hated, I did not realise how much of a pain in the butt it was till I fixed it.

I also did a comparison between the standard trigger and the modded one I have (hammer only replacement). I've never run them side by side, but the difference is huge!

Anyone got any fun simple tweaks to their 10/22 to share?

I didn't fab my own bolt release but had bought a volquartsen auto bolt release instead. It was the best 10.00 I've ever spent:s0155:. I always hated the factory bolt hold open/release. I have a standard trigger groupe in 1 of my 10-22s and a volquartsen trigger parts kit in my other. Wow!! What a difference. It's well worth the money. You don't have to spend the 200.00 for an entire built trigger group, just buy the hammer/sear parts from midway. Much cheaper.

I've done the bolt release mod to all of my 10/22's...and wondered why Ruger never adopted it..UNTIL..
I just tapped the buttstock of my rifle(muzzle up) on the table with a loaded mag in it...a decent bump was enough for the bolt to drop back, then slam forward and chamber a round.
Does that concern me...No, not that I'm aware of it now. But I can see why the factory didn't adopt that mod.
Am I going to change mine....Heck no. But I keep that little nugget of info in the back of my mind, now. In my mind, an open action and an empty chamber has always been another layer of safety. Not so much with my 10/22's now.

On to favorite tweaks..
After trying many magazine releases, I've found my favorite is also the least expensive one I've used. It slides rearward, instead of pressing up or at an angle. I've had no inadvertent mag drops, like I've had with the around the trigger guard style, nor have I had to fumble with it.

<broken link removed>

I didn't fab my own bolt release but had bought a volquartsen auto bolt release instead. It was the best 10.00 I've ever spent:s0155:. I always hated the factory bolt hold open/release. I have a standard trigger groupe in 1 of my 10-22s and a volquartsen trigger parts kit in my other. Wow!! What a difference. It's well worth the money. You don't have to spend the 200.00 for an entire built trigger group, just buy the hammer/sear parts from midway. Much cheaper.

I got the same parts from volquartsen, definately money well spent.

I just tapped the buttstock of my rifle(muzzle up) on the table with a loaded mag in it...a decent bump was enough for the bolt to drop back, then slam forward and chamber a round.
Does that concern me...No, not that I'm aware of it now. But I can see why the factory didn't adopt that mod.
Am I going to change mine....Heck no. But I keep that little nugget of info in the back of my mind, now.

That makes sense. The slide lock relies on the pressure of the bolt spring exerting force into the recess under the bolt. If you bumped the rifle hard enough to release that tension, the auto release will drop out the way due to its spring and the bolt will slide forward.

Likewise, i dont leave a chamber open with a mag in it anyway. I envariably have a chamber flag stuffed in the hole, the gun pointed in a safe direction and my finger off the trigger. That said, you still got to pay attention.

smoothing out the internals with a nice polish pad really helped.

RFC has some great tutorials on there. I have already followed quite a few on my paper killer.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top