JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering about the legality of buying a p556 or ar15 pistol and pinning a suppressor to the barrel to make it at least 16" in length and then putting a stock on it. Issues? *besides finding a suppressor that's going to be long enough to work.*

You CAN add a longer barrel to a pistol (i.e. permanently attach a barrel extension to come to the 16+" ) and then add a stock. No forms are needed for this. This would be legal in Washington. Once it is a rifle you cannot go back though. Also you couldn't shoot it in Washington unless you had a removable suppressor core.

Also any suppressor capable of handling 5.56 will be long enough to satisfy the 16+ requirement with a typical 10" barrel. Another way you could go is to have a barrel shroud permanently attached that would allow a detachable suppressor to be screwed inside the shroud like Tactical Solutions SBX barrel for the 10/22.

so quick question...if i pin the suppressor, and there's issues with the upper and I have to ship it back to the manufacturer, can I legally ship it as is? Or does the suppressor get destroyed...

and thanks cyclesarge that was helpful info, I'll have to take a look into those options.

The FFL you ship it to would need to be a class 2 SOT to legally handle the suppressed upper. You can just remove the barrel/silencer from the receiver (easy to do with AR-15 wrench) and send the receiver only for repair.

Ranb

Once it has been a pistol you are pretty much screwed..

WRONG!!!!

You CAN add a longer barrel to a pistol (i.e. permanently attach a barrel extension to come to the 16+" ) and then add a stock. No forms are needed for this. This would be legal in Washington. Once it is a rifle you cannot go back though. Also you couldn't shoot it in Washington unless you had a removable suppressor core.

Correct!!!!

Just make sure the barrel is 16" from closed bolt face to muzzle measured down the barrel. If you wish to add a flash-hider or a barrel extension, or even a suppressor it must be permanently attached.

To permanently attach a device it must be pinned/welded, welded or brazed on with 1100* solder.

AFTER the suppressor is attached... Then you may add a stock. It will now be a rifle, and can never go back to pistol status...

You could weld a tube onto the end of the barrel that brings out the barrel to 16" that the suppressor fits inside of. Then you could remove the suppressor to have it sent to your dealer/MFG for repairs and it is not a class 3 item.

The FFL you ship it to would need to be a class 2 SOT to legally handle the suppressed upper. You can just remove the barrel/silencer from the receiver (easy to do with AR-15 wrench) and send the receiver only for repair.

Ranb

Any FFL can receive a silencer equipped rifle or pistol for service . It does not have to be a class 2 SOT.

Pistol to rifle is ok but once a rifle you cannot go back to a pistol so you would be fine as long as the other laws are not stretched. :s0131:

Once a rifle you can't go back to pistol?

Thompson Center carbine kit
Mech-Tech conversions
Beretta Neos carbine kit
Heck--even those old 1911 kits with a 16" barrel and a buttstock that
Numrich was selling---

All allow you to switch from rifle to pistol and back again at will, just
don't get caught with the short barrel and a buttstock installed at the
same time.

Once a rifle you can't go back to pistol?

Thompson Center carbine kit
Mech-Tech conversions
Beretta Neos carbine kit
Heck--even those old 1911 kits with a 16" barrel and a buttstock that
Numrich was selling---

All allow you to switch from rifle to pistol and back again at will, just
don't get caught with the short barrel and a buttstock installed at the
same time.

Only the Thompson. They won a court case against the ATF. The rest are not legal according to the ATF to make a pistol a rifle and back again. The ATF maintains the court ruling ONLY applied to Thompson as it was sold as a complete kit with the gun. The rest are aftermarket kits that do not include the gun. To install them on a pistol makes the pistol a rifle and it cannot legally be reverted to a pistol without NFA registration.

Shrouded barrels beat the sbr BS we have in WA
This one is a 9mm/357 I made that uses a 9mm can with the three
lug.
DSCN0417w.jpg
DSCN0419w.jpg

nice stuff RTD! hows the extra weight handle?
The barrel with the shroud is 3 oz lighter than my 16" 9mm barrel without as the tube is a close trade off in weight for the extra 8 inches of barrel of the 16" barrel.
the shrouded barrel with a can comes to 17 inches and handles better
than my 16" barrel with a can that comes to 24 inches long.
If it was ok to have a SBR in WA I wouldnt be making shrouded barrels

The barrel with the shroud is 3 oz lighter than my 16" 9mm barrel without as the tube is a close trade off in weight for the extra 8 inches of barrel of the 16" barrel.
the shrouded barrel with a can comes to 17 inches and handles better
than my 16" barrel with a can that comes to 24 inches long.
If it was ok to have a SBR in WA I wouldnt be making shrouded barrels

drilling the shroud full of holes would knock off even more weight i would suspect as well.

I like this. I wonder why no one else offers this...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top