JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought i would get a start on this new web site by talking about turkey hunting. I have never done it before, however, i have been a hunter from the time i could walk.

I just recently purchased my shotgun. After much debate and about 100 people recomending the Remington 870 I went with it. Have yet to take it out but plan on it in the next few weeks. I also just got a turkey caller which has been a blast learning, for me that is my wife is not too happy with the clucking.

I would love to hear any tips or stories anyone may have.

Thanks and hope this site takes off, i think it is a great idea.

Otis

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the site, Otis :)

I'm about to pick up an 870 myself, mostly for home defense, but also because I'd like to start hunting. Have you hunted fowl before? I'd love to take a deer this next season.

No tips, as I have never done it myself, but it is something I am really interested in getting into myself, and I do like turkey, I think the challenge of calling will make if fun and intersting, and I like that you just stay in one spot for the most part. Havent been hunting but a couple times in the last 6 years or so due to knee issues from miy time in the Navy, so trapsing through the woods in boot, on typical relatively rouch, uneven ground just gets too painful after only an hour or so, so it appears that my hunting options will be limited, so I'll have to start on new styles/critters from the rabbit, bird, squirrel hunting I grew up doing where I spent a full day dawn to dusk wandering around the woods with my gun enjoying a nice hike and fresh air while making as much noise as possible to flush something out.

Oh well, rather than not hunt, I'll just have to work around it with things like turkey, deer, back bear, coyote, etc where you stay put for long periods instead of flushing things up. More meat on those things than rabbit, swuirrel and birds anyhow. :D

JR,

One thing to think about given your knees is walking old logging roads. Where I elk hunt (sorry guys, not sending any grid coordinates) there are tons of old dirt roads that are blocked off (some blocked better than others). They get grown over with grass, so are quiet, are usually pretty smooth and have enough switch-backs in them so the trucks could get up or down with a full load of logs.

There are a couple that are so overgrown close to the gravel road, you would not know they are there without a map. I just push through the overgrowth and they open right up a few yards in.

Turkey hunting is tough, don't let anyone tell you any different. I only hunt the spring season. From my experience here in WA you can get the birds to give their positions by calling or shock calling (screech owl, peacock, hawk, train whistle etc...) but they won't come running in all hot and bothered sexed up to be shot. They can fly (typically run down hill and open up glider wings), see 270 degrees around their head, hold still for minutes at a time, and although they are big birds they are tough to spot due to underbrush, oh yeah they run fast too.

Biggest advice I can give is to pattern your shotgun. You need to understand how close you have to be to effectively get enough pellets on target and each gun is different.

Good Luck!

I think a turkey is the only animal I could hunt because they are not very pretty
Fear not, there's LOTS of ugly critters out there for you if you think turkeys are ugly. Take a close look at a possum, nutria, muskrat, coyote, etc sometime. They aint to pretty. :D

They are unregulated, un-native, and considered a nuisance/pest animal in OR. Never personally hunted them, but have seen one. they are ugly.The bright orange teeth are just freaky, and not right.:D

The pelts can be saved/sold/used, but otherwise, they get left as food for crows, coyotes, etc. I'm sure you CAN eat them, but I gather they taste pretty nasty.

nutri were imported for their fur way back when, then some escaped and the rest is history... as for cyote, i dont think there is any laws bout what you can and cant do, but dont take my word for it.

They are unregulated, un-native, and considered a nuisance/pest animal in OR. Never personally hunted them, but have seen one. they are ugly.The bright orange teeth are just freaky, and not right.:D

If you live next to a lake, you will know.
The only reasons I have an air rifle are for geese and nutria.
Never to kill, just to give them a good slap on the rear.

Otis,
Congratulations on the new 870. It's a great all around shotgun for hunting both waterfowl and upland birds.

Turkey hunting can be rather challenging, but it is always a lot of fun. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting, but the spring turkey season helps me get through the "off season".

A few tips.....
Turkeys roost in trees and prefer stands of timber made up of large oaks, maples, or other deciduous varieties that offer them better visability than pines. Although as with any hunting there are never any hard and fast rules. During inclement weather you will often find them roosting in large firs that offer more shelter.

Turkeys have tremendous eyesight and surprisingly good hearing. Good camo and concealment are a must! Once you've chosen your spot to set up you must keep any movement to a minimum. This is why many seasoned turkey hunters prefer mouth calls over box/hand calls which require mvmt.

As polishrifleman mentioned...shock calls can be very effective for determining a birds location. I like to hunt in the evening along stands of trees where I feel birds may roost. I'll work at getting them to gobble (using shock calls), only to zero in on where they have roosted down for the evening. I then head out in the darkness of the following morning and set up in a clearing, or break in the vegetation, that is within 200-400 yards of the flock and preferably at a lower elevation than the roost. I throw out a decoy or two (hen decoys with possibly one jake) and begin to do some "clucking" right at day break. Often times the flock will drop out of their roost and land in brush/timber near the edge of the clearing where I have set up. A few more coaxing hen clucks and hopefully the gobblers in the bunch strut their way over to check out my dekes. If you've taken the time to pattern your gun the rest is pretty easy! I would recommend you consider shooting a full or extra-full choke to increase your range and get more shot in the 'kill zone'.

Have fun, be safe, and good luck!

Turkey hunting to me is just as hard as coyote. Do not under estimate them as they are bright and see extremely well. Calling is the hard part. Just stick with the box call and a crow call as they are easy to learn. Diaphrams can be used later. Just remember to be covered head to to in camo and no blue, red, or white visiable as they can see very well. Good luck.

Scott

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads