JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Me and my coworker both have are sportsman's packs and are trying to fill are spring turkey tags we drove and walked the woods by umpqua forest last weekend for allmost 28 hours and nothing....we decided to try powers area this weekend and. Nothing so far today... Does anyone have a turkey problem they need fixed or have a idea of a good spot please help and thank you for time

One last weekend left seen plenty of turkey on people's property and know one to ask if it's ok to hunt them anyone have a turkey problem I would totally be willing to put afew down

Dang, wish I had seen this thread earlier.

turks4.jpg

Unfortunately that's about how it goes... they stopped stocking turkey since they could only get them to survive on private land. I've only ever seen them crossing the road between farms. Wish they'd make a niche for themselves on public land.

Wild turkeys can really be a PIA if they decide to take over in a residential area. They are noisy and messy. They're smart too and know when they're in a safe area. I hunted them for the first time one year in Eastern WA and got two. I'll leave them alone from now on. That had to be the toughest meat I have ever tried to eat. :(

Unfortunately that's about how it goes... they stopped stocking turkey since they could only get them to survive on private land. I've only ever seen them crossing the road between farms. Wish they'd make a niche for themselves on public land.
They thrive on public lands and can be found all over central and eastern Oregon public lands. So much harder to hunt that way though but they are out there.

From what I read on ODFW's pages, they seemed to suggest otherwise. I'd definitely like access to the birds tho, just don't know where.

Same thing I kept running Into out in the middle of no where and signage everywhere on trees and fences and things for no trespassing/no hunting...
If your seeing trespass signs your not out in the middle of no where. I gave up the idea of finding private land to hunt on a lifetime ago.... just too difficult to get permission.

From what I read on ODFW's pages, they seemed to suggest otherwise. I'd definitely like access to the birds tho, just don't know where.
Public land turkeys are a challenge, I'm probably the last turkey hunter to give advice because of all the game Ive hunted turkeys have eluded me the most.... quite honestly I suck at it, I never had a mentor and learned heuristically (the slow hard way) using still hunting and other deer hunting tactics but viola one day I found sign...

if there are turkeys in the area you will eventually find tracks, poop, or a feather or two. Walk dusty forest roads and you will find their tracks in the dust where they cross, and learn to identify poop... if its still soft then you have your spot. Stop hiking around (like what I did for years...) and learn to call them. Camp nearby and listen for them talking at dawn. If they arent talking call using soft hen purrs or clucks for an hour.

Seems that finding a flock it the hardest part of the game in Oregon.
it is the hardest part, but tracks in the roads is how I found my spots. The dustier the road the better especially when the track is on top of a fresh tire print.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top