Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Turkey Day Dinner What are you doing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spectra, Nov 25, 2014.

1. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Ok so how is everyone doing the bird? Got me thinking today as I was smoking a turkey wing today so I could try a new recipe for some gravy.... trying to take one step out of the busy schedule on Thursday and make it tomorrow evening along with a few other things.....

My bird (21 lbs) is in a maple syrup and jack daniels brine in the fridge as I type this. I do it for 48 hours then let it sit for 12 in the fridge and onto the smoker it will go. Some apple wood for about 3 hours and it will be money!

Since I had some coals going today and the wife wanted to eat the turkey wing..... it did smell real good:D I tossed a chicken on the smoker. Beer can chicken with some spices. Figured I would use the bones tonight and make some stock for the turkey day gravy.....

Anyway hope everyone has a great dinner and post up your plans! Here are a few pics just for fun........

smoker.jpg

IMG_0382geagHRHehaERh.jpg

IMG_0384rfg wrtg.jpg

muskoka, John Gault and 4Freedom like this.
  2. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

Bourbon (Beam) / Orange brine then on the Traeger with pecan pellets.

3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I love the idea of the way you guys brine your turkey.

We're a little more subtle.

The wife injects it with seasoning, then I deep fry it. I've done all but one turkey for the family dinner for the last 10 years or so. Seems to be quite the hit with the family.
    I like doing it and it doesn't take too long. Once the oil is up to temp I can do an 17-18 lb turkey in about an hour. This year we have less people to feed, so I'm doing a smaller, 12 lb bird. Can't wait. :)

taku1946 likes this.
  4. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

Spectra, you better save some of that for me.. ;) Jack Daniels and Maple Syrup brine?? :s0115:

Caveman Jim likes this.
  5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

This is the first year in 12 that we are not doing a dadgum thing this year.... We're sleeping in until whenever, then perhaps going to Denny's for a turkey dinner... or maybe just stay home and eat a bowl of cereal for dinner.

:cool:

taku1946 and Caveman Jim like this.
  6. spectra

Go out for Chinese food:D

Stomper likes this.
  7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Get me some Peking duck... without the head attached. LOL

taku1946 and Caveman Jim like this.
  8. spectra

Come on down 4 it is already a disfuncional family get together :D

muskoka likes this.
  9. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

Stuffing or dressing or both?

My family always stuffed with:
    Half onion finely chopped and caramelized in a 1/4 lb of butter adding a 1/3 cup of finely chopped celery as the onion-butter mix cools. Shred a whole loaf of bread(any kind white is best though...seriously, even if wonder bread is all ya got) and add enough water to it so it holds a solid moist mass. To the now cooled butter-onions add 1/4 cup parsley, 2 Tbsp each of basil, Thyme, Dill(if you like), 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Mix 2 eggs into the wet bread then add in the butter-onion-celery-herb using your hands to mash it all together thoroughly (preferably clean hands). Fill the turkey cavities as full as possible (there should be enough for a 20 lb'er to be completely filled. A little under filled is ok because this stuff expands about 10%. close the turkey opening.
    When the Turkey is fully cooked the stuffing is like a solid loaf and requires a cut to be able to pull that baby out whole so it can be served in slices like a solid loaf (almost like a meatloaf)
    Options to substitute or add to increase volume if the turkey is a monster.
    1/2 beer for 1/2 broth
    add a few craisins or a very small apple cubed, pre-soaked wild rice

Day after: the cold stuffing can be sliced like cheese and added to your turkey sandwich,

Warning: the mixture must be soggy when you fill the turkey or it may absorb too much of the cooking juices leaving not enough for gravy in the bottom of the roaster.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  10. spectra

Dressing here. Can not stuff the bird on the smoker. I toss a few apples and the norm in the bird before I put it on.

11. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

Wish I could Spectra.. :( Sadly, I will be stuck up in Seattle with family for Thanksgiving.. No home cooked meal for me either.. Next year I think I will be doing Thanksgiving at your house. ;)

12. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Tri-tip :eek:

Caveman Jim likes this.
  13. Stinkerbelle

Stinkerbelle Tualatin, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Our turkey is oven cooked and pretty basic, but I do brine myself with a little Jack Daniels.....

spectra and orygun like this.
  14. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Always had a huge shindig at our house on Thanksgiving, til the kids moved away.

Daughter lives in Kent. Can't afford to drive to Oregon City so she'll stay home. I always give her plenty of money to pay for her trips when she does drive down here. She must have a more exciting offer in Kent.

Son lives in Hillsboro, but has to be at work in the afternoon. So, only way he can make it is if we eat b'4 noon.

So, guess we'll go to a buffet restaurant.o_O

Times be a changing. Big dinners and get togethers on the holidays were always important to me as a kid, and have become even more important the older I get.

WAYNO.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    samuelm16, orygun and Caveman Jim like this.
  15. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

We are in the same boat Way no, one (the baby girl, 28) is close but works in the medical field with crazy hours. My son is stationed on the East (worst) coast for a few more years so it's only us & occasionally will be iinvited to friends here in Wa.

taku1946 likes this.
  16. muskoka

muskoka Member

That sounds damn good, Spectra.

17. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

• Yum, old family recipe..................:confused:
    121613cth3.jpg
    121613cth4.jpg
    121613cth2.jpg

18. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I go shooting, without fail every thanksgiving in the early AM.

Im going to eat as much turkey as my heart desires and drink as much beer as my stomach will handle.

My gluttonous day WILL be enjoyed, and enjoyed thouroughly.

19. muskoka

muskoka Member

20. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

Tur-crab-topus....with bacon

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    clearconscience and Soj1057 like this.