JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought a Dillon Square Deal B setup from a member here that came with a vibratory case cleaner. I've been slowly collecting all the extras I'll be needing to put together some minor and major 40S&W loads for competition.

Today I made my first major step by running a load of 40 Starline brass in my cleaner. I am using walnut media with a couple caps of NuFinish and a splash of mineral spirits. I also threw in a few strips of dryer sheet to collect some of the powder junk that comes off the cases. I'll be using a media separator after about an hour of tumbling and go from there.

I'm excited to enter this new activity of reloading. "Honey, it will help me save money on ammo."

I wish it was that easy. To go SS media, it would require a different tumbler and a way to dry the brass afterward. This tumbler came with my reloading package. Someday I'll move to SS media and then move to de-priming before cleaning. Future, though...

The spirits will gas off very quickly and the nufinish won't.. for a very long time.
Those square deals are great, especially for one or two calibers.
nice!

2-3 hours? Is that overkill, or was my 1 hour underkill? I have no need for super-shiny brass, just clean-enough brass for my EYES.

Fixed it for you :eek:
super-shiny brass is way easier to find at the range.
You done good using nu-finish and OMS.
If you de-prime and use really fine walnut media, tumbling will clean the primer pockets too.
I use/recommend this, most pet stores sell it.
Amazon.com : Zilla Reptile Terrarium Bedding Substrate Desert Blend Walnut, 10-Qt. : Pet Habitat Decor : Pet Supplies
reloaders love tumbling threads...
just sayin'
:D

I use corn cob media as well and a splash of the Berrys case polish. I usually tumble for several hours but I like shiny brass:) I'm sure there are better methods out there but it works for me.

Oh and congrats on the new purchase. I bought a 550b about a year ago. Beats single stage for sure, although I still single stage my match loads. It can be addictive, especially when developing rifle loads and finding the "sweet spot"

I recently bought a Dillon Square Deal B setup from a member here that came with a vibratory case cleaner. I've been slowly collecting all the extras I'll be needing to put together some minor and major 40S&W loads for competition.

Today I made my first major step by running a load of 40 Starline brass in my cleaner. I am using walnut media with a couple caps of NuFinish and a splash of mineral spirits. I also threw in a few strips of dryer sheet to collect some of the powder junk that comes off the cases. I'll be using a media separator after about an hour of tumbling and go from there.

I'm excited to enter this new activity of reloading. "Honey, it will help me save money on ammo."

Cool. Make sure you clean the flash hole out after tumbling. I use a long wire torch tip cleaner to poke the granules stuck in the hole. Works great.. Good luck with your reloading. It's a great hobby and experience..

I leave my tumbler going overnight. But I wait until they are really dirty before doing a batch, sooooooo... by that time it just takes longer.

Walnut media and Dillon brass cleaner for the really dirty stuff. Corncob for not so dirty stuff.

Back in the 30+ years ago day, I tumbled with a rock tumbler and walnut hulls.
Took all day to break into the shiny brass. Some stains never came out of some cases.
Then came the vibratory hopper. Walnut hulls and jeweler's rouge were done in about 2-6 hours.
Recently, went to 5 lb stainless steel pins, pinch of lemishine, a squirt of dishwashing soap and fill the rock tumbler with warm water
(de-cap the cases before cleaning) Tumble for about an hour
Pour everything into the media separator, turn the hose onto the cage and wash out all the cooties while cranking the cage.
Stainless media falls into the bucket, brass is pristine, keep flushing till runoff runs clear.
Cleans inside and outside in an hour. No stains whatsoever, like new!
Pour the wet brass into the food drier and turn on the fan, set heat to about 135.
Half hour later, cases are dry and ready to process.

+1 on the food dehydrator. Here is my first batch after getting a Nesco for Christmas. It is a lot bigger than it seemed in the pictures. For scale the cases toward the right are 30-06. I'm actually might try drying some food too.
161230_0001es.jpg

Go to the pet store and get lizard bedding. Made from walnut shells just like the over priced media at the sporting goods store.

Other than that you are doing the exact same thing I did until I went to stainles.

I did as test a while back too. I used to always punch out any media that got stuck in the primer pockets, then I loaded some with it in. No difference.

2-3 hours? Is that overkill, or was my 1 hour underkill? I have no need for super-shiny brass, just clean-enough brass for my dies.

I was told by an experienced life long reloader how to get the best results out of tumbling brass.
I don't use the wax every time but about the 3rd time I'll add a little. I tumble when I'm not in the shop because it is annoying even though I'm HOH I hear some sounds very well... I use a timer and set it for 3 hours every time and I'm satisfied with the outcome... they look brand new.;)
YMMV...:)

Last Edited:
I have a lyman tumbler, 60$ model, and have really been happy with it. I pick up all sorts of brass. I first seperate by caliber so a 9mm won't get stuck in a 40 and a 40 won't get stuck in a 45 etc. If you buy a jug of media, it will do about 3 to 5 thousand pistol brass. Each load is 1 to 2 hours. I myself run em right out of the field, then deprime/resize to clear the primer pocket while resizing. Just me. 50 percent will "look like new" the others will look like really clean used. Your dies and guns will love them all.:s0010:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top