JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I decided to do all of my sorting before cleaning. In my case, I've been keeping calibers separated as I collected them and before putting them into different containers. My sorting was by headstamp, keeping all of the Winchester and Starline cases separate from the other mixed headstamps. But I had to handle each and every piece, out of thousands.

It makes me think this way: Since each piece of brass needs to be individually handled at the point of putting into the press anyway, next time I have all this used brass I might use that moment of the reloading process to sort by headstamp. Thus, clean all the mixed 40 brass and then set aside the junkier brass at the moment of loading and just loading the chosen brass. This could save from handling each piece twice.

Last Edited:
My purpose for this brass is USPSA competition. Accuracy is important, but cleaner brass won't make a difference for my purposes. I'm thinking it might just make a difference for me around the difficulty of pulling that handle.

When I get to reloading that pile of 223 brass I've been saving, I think I will be spending a lot more effort on case prep., but until then, straight-walled 40 brass doesn't require much perfection.
Depending on the chamber in your gun, you might find cleaner and shinier is better, especially in competition if your rig has a tight chamber. I went out and shot today in ~25° weather and had no jams or malfunctions with my handloads. Not even my revolvers:p. I was pleasantly surprised that my sheild .40 ate 200 rounds without a hickup, and the 1907 Winchester burned through 150 rounds with no issues. I use Remoil in the winter It's thin and it seems to work pretty well. I don't think you need to get your brass quite as clean as I do to get reliability, but it can't hurt. I do the stainless tumble to clean and then use the vibratory with a cobb and walnut mix and a couple drops of cabelas brass polish. It makes the brass size and feed so well it's amazing.

Jeepers it was freaking cold today but it was a good chance to check my weapons and ammo function in the cold.

I decided to do all of my sorting before cleaning. In my case, I've been keeping calibers separated as I collected them and before putting them into different containers. My sorting was by headstamp, keeping all of the Winchester and Starline cases separate from the other mixed headstamps. But I had to handle each and every piece, out of thousands.

It makes me think this way: Since each piece of brass needs to be individually handled at the point of putting into the press anyway, next time I have all this used brass I might use that moment of the reloading process to sort by headstamp. Thus, clean all the mixed 40 brass and then set aside the junkier brass at the moment of loading and just loading the chosen brass. This could save from handling each piece twice.

Like you said earlier, you are loading for a 40 and accuracy isn't of the utmost importance. I realize you need a certain amount of accuracy/precision for the events you shoot, but you may want to shoot some groups for chits and giggles to see if there is even a difference between different brands/manufactures of brass. I shoot bowling pin matches and you need a certain amount of precision with that as well and I don't sort my brass. Just too time consuming vs. any gains in accuracy or any other reason. However, The brass that I do get rid of or segregate is the 45 ACP with the small pistol primers, like Blazer. That brass loads up nice, but is sometimes a pain because you have to watch out for the different sized primer. A lot of the guys that I shoot with use starline brass and they say it is damn good stuff. With this being said, I don't pride myself as a pistol shooter extraordinaire or anything like that. Maybe someone else can chime in on their experience with pistol accuracy between sorted brass and mixed headstamp brass. I know it makes a difference with rifle brass, but pistol shooting is a whole different animal..

Like you said earlier, you are loading for a 40 and accuracy isn't of the utmost importance. I realize you need a certain amount of accuracy/precision for the events you shoot, but you may want to shoot some groups for chits and giggles to see if there is even a difference between different brands/manufactures of brass. I shoot bowling pin matches and you need a certain amount of precision with that as well and I don't sort my brass. Just too time consuming vs. any gains in accuracy or any other reason. However, The brass that I do get rid of or segregate is the 45 ACP with the small pistol primers, like Blazer. That brass loads up nice, but is sometimes a pain because you have to watch out for the different sized primer. A lot of the guys that I shoot with use starline brass and they say it is damn good stuff. With this being said, I don't pride myself as a pistol shooter extraordinaire or anything like that. Maybe someone else can chime in on their experience with pistol accuracy between sorted brass and mixed headstamp brass. I know it makes a difference with rifle brass, but pistol shooting is a whole different animal..
Anecdotally, I've never noticed a difference in accuracy due to brass in straightwall pistol cartridges. Far more significance with powder charges and type and bullet choice.

But with respect to feel in sizing and crimping dies, longevity, and how it functions in a particular pistol brass can make a big diffrence.

Thanks aegingstudent. My pistols are old garbage disposals. They eat up any brass I put in them, with nary a hiccup of any kind... Thus the reason I use them for bowling pins shoots....:
001-90.jpg

You do make some valid points about sizing, crimping and longevity.

Thanks aegingstudent. My pistols are old garbage disposals. They eat up any brass I put in them, with nary a hiccup of any kind... Thus the reason I use them for bowling pins shoots....:
View attachment 335217

You do make some valid points about sizing, crimping and longevity.
Very nice. I'm partial to Smiths also. I picked up a 66-0 a couple years ago and it's still one of my favorites. I had my eye on a model 10 but it got away before I could buy it.

Thanks, I like the 3rd. gens. they are great shooters and function flawlessly... When I think of 40 S&W, as the op has been talking about, I always think of the 4006 (like what's pictured above). The first pistol designed for the 40S&W cartridge...

Thanks, I like the 3rd. gens. they are great shooters and function flawlessly... When I think of 40 S&W, as the op has been talking about, I always think of the 4006 (like what's pictured above). The first pistol designed for the 40S&W cartridge...
Yeah I like my Sheild but with hotter ammo it's a handful lol. I've taylored my handloads to tame it a bit. 925 fps seems to work well. I like that 4006.

I'm shooting a Glock 22 with a Lone Wolf barrel or a Sub2000Gen2, both in 40S&W. I'm not sure about their chambers, though. I will definitely need to chamber check several random rounds.

Yeah I like my Sheild but with hotter ammo it's a handful lol. I've taylored my handloads to tame it a bit. 925 fps seems to work well. I like that 4006.

A guy's got to know his limits. This is the very reason I love loading for my pistols. Tailor a load that is consistently accurate and one you can handle. I can load some dang hot loads for both pistols pictured earlier, but it's not needed. You shoot a couple hundred rounds from each pistol in a day and you'll really notice a difference in what load you like. I've noticed when shooting pins, you need accuracy and a good bullet more than anything else. I like shooting a mild load as you've suggested in both my 40 and 45. Something around 950fps for the 40S&W (W/180gr. XTP) and 800fps in my 45 (W/230gr. XTP). I've tried powerpistol and longshot to get the bullets moving very fast (+P loads) and didn't notice much of a difference when I hit the pins, but did notice a difference in muzzle flash, muzzle rise and recoil. This caused more fatigue by the end of the shoot where I noticed I wasn't shooting as good too. I know this is about tumbling brass, but hopefully gives the OP some ideas on reloading for his shoots as well...

A guy's got to know his limits. This is the very reason I love loading for my pistols. Tailor a load that is consistently accurate and one you can handle. I can load some dang hot loads for both pistols pictured earlier, but it's not needed. You shoot a couple hundred rounds from each pistol in a day and you'll really notice a difference in what load you like. I've noticed when shooting pins, you need accuracy and a good bullet more than anything else. I like shooting a mild load as you've suggested in both my 40 and 45. Something around 950fps for the 40S&W (W/180gr. XTP) and 800fps in my 45 (W/230gr. XTP). I've tried powerpistol and longshot to get the bullets moving very fast (+P loads) and didn't notice much of a difference when I hit the pins, but did notice a difference in muzzle flash, muzzle rise and recoil. This caused more fatigue by the end of the shoot where I noticed I wasn't shooting as good too. I know this is about tumbling brass, but hopefully gives the OP some ideas on reloading for his shoots as well...
Yes and with a small polymer gun like the Shield it can be downright unpleasant lol.

Mine's a .40 lol. Takes some getting used to. I have shot a 9 and it's much better for a little guy like me.

:eek:

When I wanted the shield, IN 9mm, you could find them in .40 here and there, and you could also find them used. I never shot one in .40 but I figure people bought them in .40 because they couldn't get them in 9mm and it was just too much! Geeze Louise, I've got a CZ SP01 in .40. I couldn't imagine shooting a gun the size of a Shield in .40!

:eek:

When I wanted the shield, IN 9mm, you could find them in .40 here and there, and you could also find them used. I never shot one in .40 but I figure people bought them in .40 because they couldn't get them in 9mm and it was just too much! Geeze Louise, I've got a CZ SP01 in .40. I couldn't imagine shooting a gun the size of a Shield in .40!
Yes thankfully I can make my own ammo:).

Ugh it's been forever since I ran some brass. Almost forgot how.

Good thing the Tumbler didn't forget.

IMG_1895.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews