JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been tumbling brass for a couple years now but I cannot seem to get the high shiny finish on my brass. I started using a water based 3M automotive glazing compound (because it is what I had) and it helps but still does not give the mirror finish. I was looking at a few different types of the additives in Outdoor Outfitter's the other day but was hoping someone could tell me what is best to get bright brass! Thanks.

If you want a mirror polish, the media grit size and type is important. I've had good luck with the corn cob that Grainger sells as sandblasting media...a 20lb bag for $24 will last nearly a lifetime. In addition, I usually throw in some red jeweler's rouge or a capful of NuFinish car wax.

I tumble Brass useing stainless steel pins in a homemade tumbler, I can tumble about 15 lbs of brass at a time. I use two gallons of tap water, two tsp of Dawn liquid dishwashing soap, 0ne tsp of
Lemi Shine detergent and ten pounds of stainless pins. I de-prime the cases prior to tumbling so the primer pockets get cleaned. depending on how dirty the brass is, I tumble it about one to two hours,
Separate the brass from the water and pins useing a brass separater from Midway, rinse the brass, and then dry it with a portable electric heater. This makes for the shiniest brass in town. Inside and out, even the primer pockets shine.

Good Shooting

Lindy

but what difference does it make if your Brass is really shiny?
Good point - None really I was just hoping to get a little brighter than the washed out yellow color. I am using PetCo lizard bedding walnut shell and that may have something to do with it.

Shiny brass makes the bullet go faster. LOL

I use fritz media polish. I also tumble 1 to3 hrs. thru out the brass. They come out hi-gloss.
Some people use Nu-Finish car polish.

HotRod

Shiny brass makes the bullet go faster. LOL

I use fritz media polish. I also tumble 1 to3 hrs. thru out the brass. They come out at the end very hi-gloss.
Some people use Nu-Finish car polish.

HotRod

Sorry for the double post big fingers.

Wholesale Sports in Bend (you called it outdoor outfitters) carries Berry's case polish for about 8 bucks a bottle. I have been using it for years and my brass is bright and shiny. I use it with walnut media, about a tablespoon full in the tumbler and let it run for a few minutes to mix together. This solution does not contain amonia so it is safe to use on brass. One tablespoon usually lasts for 8 or so batches of brass through my tumbler before I need to add some more.

NuFinish car wax has worked very well for me. Before I had a ultrasonic cleaner I would tumble overnight (10-12 hours). Now I tumble for about 2 hours and the brass looks good as new.

I tumble Brass useing stainless steel pins in a homemade tumbler, I can tumble about 15 lbs of brass at a time. I use two gallons of tap water, two tsp of Dawn liquid dishwashing soap, 0ne tsp of
Lemi Shine detergent and ten pounds of stainless pins. I de-prime the cases prior to tumbling so the primer pockets get cleaned. depending on how dirty the brass is, I tumble it about one to two hours,
Separate the brass from the water and pins useing a brass separater from Midway, rinse the brass, and then dry it with a portable electric heater. This makes for the shiniest brass in town. Inside and out, even the primer pockets shine.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Likewise here on the SS Media. Unlike all the ground up "Iowa Toilet Paper" that we've all used for years, the pins clean the inside and primer pockets as well. The exterior is nicely burnished and looks better than new brass fresh from the bag.

I've been using the same walnut shell media for years I guess I should change it, but it still works. I pour in about 2 tablespoons of household cheap:

HK215.jpg

Brasso may be great for Military Belt Buckles and Insignia (Lord knows I've polished my share) but it's not good for use on firearm brass. It contains 2%-3% by weight Ammonium Hydroxide. Ammonia causes embrittlement of brass. It's cheap, it makes the brass shiny, but it's all wrong for firearm brass.

Nu-Finish doesn't have the ammonia and it too is cheap. Lasts almost forever and you don't need to use two tablespoons.

Of course I'm going to have to use the rest of my bottle of Nu-Finish on the truck. Started using the Stainless Steel Pin media and don't need any polish now of any kind. ;):)

BTW, here's the MSDS sheet for Brasso:

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top