JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would not

The 22lr is a rimfire round as we all know. That means the priming compound is spun around the base of the brass and hardens around the rim on the inside of the case

I would suspect tumbling in a vibrating brass cleaner is likely to break the priming compound away from the rim. This will result in spotty ignition at best and completely inert ammo at worse.

Um, no. Different kind of "tumbling" being discussed here.

Getting any blowback, or extra soot around the cylinder or on your hands?

My first guess is cylinder miss alignment. Shaving bullets making them unstable.

Second guess would be small projectiles. Or not enough wax on them if they are waxed. Take a mic to the bullet and your forcing cone. Do this with various That or just bad ammo in general.

Third guess, cylinder gap is too big and your loosing a lot of velocity. This could resemble the first issue too.

Hope it's not the pistol, be sad to see those start having issues right off the get go.

Okay Folks I have an update to my original post.

On Tuesday I went to the range with my Ruger Wrangler and it appeared one out of ten rounds were "tumbling" and hitting the target on their side. I was also shooting terribly with my rounds peppering around the bullseye.

So I decided to conduct an experiment. To see if it was the ammunition, or a pistol defect, I took three different boxes of 22LR and fired them through both my Wrangler and my 10/22.

On Tuesday I was firing 38 grain Federal copper-plated hollow points...I saved six rounds from that box to be used today.

I brought a box of

40 Grain CCI Mini Mag
40 Grain Remington Thunderbolt
38 Grain Federal Copper-plated hollow point

I fired two courses of 6 rounds each through the Ruger Wrangler at 10 yards

40 Grain CCI

IMG_2105.JPG

40 Grain Remington Thunderbolt

IMG_2106.JPG

Federal 38 Grain

IMG_2100.JPG

You'll notice that I have two "flyers" from the Federal ammunition...these two rounds were saved from the box I shot last Tuesday.

To double check the ammo I fired four rounds of CCI and four of the new box of Federal out of my Ruger 10/22 at 10 yards

CCI
IMG_2102.JPG

Federal

IMG_2103.JPG

The entire target (including section 2 where I fired 10 rounds of CCI at 20 yards)

IMG_2109.JPG

CONCLUSION:

I did not find that any ammo tumbled from either of the firearms (good news). However, the two "flyers" that I had (in section 3) were from the box of Federal 38 grain that I shot last Tuesday. My deduction is that there was a defect in that particular box that caused the rounds to go off course and a few of them tumble.

So the good news is my firearms are functionally okay and shoot straight.

I think it was a bad box of ammo.

What are you thoughts?

Last Edited:
Threads merged, title updated to reflect the update. Not really necessary to make a thread pointing to another thread. On the same topic. :D

Looks fairly conclusive to me. The groups looks much better for sure with normal hole profiles. Glad you were able to try it some other ammo. Hope you don't have another brick of that same bad lot of ammo.

Since this is a revolver being discussed I would want to know what each chamber was doing relative to the rest. For instance maybe chamber 4 is slightly misaligned and that is the only chamber causing an inaccurate or tumbling round.

I would number each of my chambers with a crayon and pay specific attention to what each one of them is doing by taking a series of well aimed deliberate shots at different aiming points so as not to muddle the results. Then compare...

I have an old Ruger Blackhawk in which one chamber throws the bullet every time. I haven't delved into it yet but it is apparent that one chamber is causing me problems.. Probably a throat size thing but don't know yet...

Okay Folks I have an update to my original post.

On Tuesday I went to the range with my Ruger Wrangler and it appeared one out of ten rounds were "tumbling" and hitting the target on their side. I was also shooting terribly with my rounds peppering around the bullseye.

CONCLUSION:

I did not find that any ammo tumbled from either of the firearms (good news). However, the two "flyers" that I had (in section 3) were from the box of Federal 38 grain that I shot last Tuesday. My deduction is that there was a defect in that particular box that caused the rounds to go off course and a few of them tumble.

So the good news is my firearms are functionally okay and shoot straight.

I think it was a bad box of ammo.

What are you thoughts?
I think you hit it, ammo. Back towards the end of the last great panic Wife suddenly discovered there was a .22 shortage :rolleyes:
I told her I had ammo coming in weekly, we were sitting on at least 10K, she could shoot all she wanted any time she wanted. Well she found a "deal" at Cabelas, without telling me she ordered 8K of the stuff. Its Fed bulk. I have taken some to the range a few times and it sucks big time. All the guns seem to feed it well. None of them like it. In every gun (we have 6 22's) accuracy is crap with this stuff. So it's been relegated to the back of a closet until I find some use for it in another life. :mad::mad:

I think you hit it, ammo. Back towards the end of the last great panic Wife suddenly discovered there was a .22 shortage :rolleyes:
I told her I had ammo coming in weekly, we were sitting on at least 10K, she could shoot all she wanted any time she wanted. Well she found a "deal" at Cabelas, without telling me she ordered 8K of the stuff. Its Fed bulk. I have taken some to the range a few times and it sucks big time. All the guns seem to feed it well. None of them like it. In every gun (we have 6 22's) accuracy is crap with this stuff. So it's been relegated to the back of a closet until I find some use for it in another life. :mad::mad:
You can sell them to me for .01 a round. There's a use for it there. :rolleyes:

Interesting..o_O
A while back, I tested several different brands of .22lr in my DPMS bull barrel AR,@ 50yds..
While shooting the Federal .22lr, aside from a lousy group, one of the cartridges made
a funny pop sound and hit way low and left on the target. :eek:
Needless to say, I don't buy any more Federal .22lr's. :mad:

Of the 4 brands tested, I had one hole groups with ArmScore and CCI Stingers.:)
Remington was an "OK" third.:rolleyes:
Funny that the lowest priced and the highest priced shot the best. :cool:

... While shooting the Federal .22lr, aside from a lousy group, one of the cartridges made a funny pop sound and hit way low and left on the target. :eek: Needless to say, I don't buy any more Federal .22lr's. :mad:...

Two years ago I ran 14 different .22 loads through my semiauto and twelve through a bolt action, using 50 shot groups (with some variation for scope re-zeroing). Malfunctions were counted for both zeroing and testing.

One load, Fiochi High Velocity, 40 gn CPRN was awful in my semiauto, experiencing a failure to feed and a group size almost 2x the diameter of the best performer. In the bolt action, that exact some load came in at number 2 at half the price of the first place finisher, and a close second as well (100 yds: Eley Club, 50 shot group, 2.1"; Fiochi, 49 shot group, 2.3", no failures in bolt gun). In my semiauto, I got a 4.5" group with that Fiochi ammo (48 shots, 100 yds) and one failure to feed (best ammo gave me a 2.6" group with this rifle).

In my tests I also shot Federal (Range & Field Pack, 38gn CPHP) and it was was neither the worst nor the best. It came in 5th place accuracy wise in the semiauto (3.8", 40 shot group) and 6th place in the bolt gun (3.6", 50 shot group).

Anyway, blah blah blah -- it might not be fair to Federal to knock it in general because .22 firearms end up liking specific stuff and what shoots nice in one, might be awful in the next. In my guns, the Federal load was an average performer -- in others it might be awesome or it might be awful. That doesn't make the ammo garbage, it just makes it unsuitable for the guns that hate it.

My pop's high standard model B's will not reliably feed federal JHP, or any JHP really. However they never skip a beat with the same grain federal FMJ.
My ruger 10/22 will feed and shoot those same federal JHP consistently and accurately.

Never had a problem with the federal JHP in the Webley either, TBH...

Glad you found some ammo that works for your Wrangler. :)

Don'tcha just love it when (bless their hearts) the wife goes off and buys stuff to be helpful and ends up with a load of stuff that is relegated to the "back of the closet"?:( My guess would be that issues like this arise even in the happiest, most successful relationships...:p

Don'tcha just love it when (bless their hearts) the wife goes off and buys stuff to be helpful and ends up with a load of stuff that is relegated to the "back of the closet"?:( My guess would be that issues like this arise even in the happiest, most successful relationships...:p

My wife asked for help from a good friend and I ended up with a Beretta 92fs Inox for Christmas:rolleyes:.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top