JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks,

I just got back from the range and it appears that some of my rounds were tumbling as they hit the target.

IMG_2063.JPG

This is how most rounds impacted

IMG_2062.JPG

I was firing my Ruger Wrangler (4.6" barrel). The ammunition was Federal 38 grain copper-plated hollow points.

It has been about 300 rounds since the last cleaning (so last week) as I haven't had time to sit down and run a patch through.

1. Does this look like tumbling to you?
2. Could this be the result of fouling?

What do ya'll think?

They sure look like they are key holing. Have you tried another projectile? I suppose the rifling COULD be that dirty but jeez.

It could very well be key holing or perhaps in the case of the top picture , two hits close together...granted the bottom picture has the more expected look of two or more hits close together...

I also wonder ( like Kruel J ) what if anything would be different if , if different ammo were used...
Andy

I used CCI for the first 200 rounds and didn't have a problem. Cleaned the pistol and now am about 300 rounds since the last cleaning.

I thought it was two shots close together at first but this happened about a dozen times at the range today.

Doesn't take a lot of 22 to foul the rifling. Take a look down the barrel?

Maybe that pistol is susceptible to fouling early. I know lots of folks (including me when I owned one) that have shot way more than 300 rounds of .22 without having key hole issues.

Put a cardboard backer behind your paper target. This will make the impacts easier to inspect. Less paper tearing as a result of the bullet impact will show you better what you are dealing with.

As Kruel J recommended, I'd clean that bore a good one. Then I'd try the same ammo again, could be lube and fouling left behind that's not overly visible. If it still does it, quick range clean (bore snakes are great for this) and an ammo switch. If you can replicate it with different ammo, then there's for sure an issue, most like with the crown I'd guess...

I've had two different .22 pistols, a K-22 that typically went thousands of rounds between cleanings (.22 was 5.00/500 back then), more recently a Ruger 22/45 that has gone upwards of 2K rounds between cleanings. Never had a keyhole...

Put a cardboard backer behind your paper target. This will make the impacts easier to inspect. Less paper tearing as a result of the bullet impact will show you better what you are dealing with.

Good tip. I'll try that next time.

Maybe you are just shooting at an angle...

:D

Serious note: try a faster ammo.

I can be kind of lopsided at times! haha

But on that serious note I'm only 10 yards away. If the ammo is losing velocity at that distance there are some real issues.

Pull a couple bullets out of that batch, see if the bullets are malformed beneath the crimp...
If it's not the crown, maybe it's the bullet.

I'm just speculating, since my first guess was the muzzle got messed up.

Idk, maybe the cylinder is misaligned with the barrel and causes deformation in some of the bullets, which results in your keyholes.

Watch some Tafladormaus on youtube, and maybe you'll start having crazy ideas too!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top