JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been tumbling for over a year now and have run A LOT of cases through my first batch of media (Pet Smart lizard cage walnut shell) and I am wondering how often everyone changes out their media? The cleaning action seems to be getting a little slower and I use 3M water based glazing compound as my polish. Just wondering what to expect out of the media life.

I cannot speak for other people, but when mine starts looking real dirty and leaving a powder dust over everthing I toss it and replace with fresh media. I also wash all my brass before hand to try and remove as much dirt as possible, which helps extends the life of the media. I have seen on other sights where they claim that they wash it, dry it, and reuse it. Never tried it myself.

I use the lizard litter as well. It is way cheaper then buying media that is marketed for cleaning brass. When it "looks" dirty or takes longer to get cases shiny, toss it and put some fresh media in.

I read on another forum to put a few strips of a laundry dryer sheet into the media and tumble. It really collected a lot of dirt and grime. It was a cheap experiment! Still using media.
When I first started reloading in the 90's I used to wash my walnut media in a nylon stocking in the clothes washer then dry out on cookie sheet in the oven at 200f. Saving Money?? :nuts:
What a pain on top of the contamination in the washing machine!! :s0092:

I read on another forum to put a few strips of a laundry dryer sheet into the media and tumble. It really collected a lot of dirt and grime. It was a cheap experiment! Still using media.
When I first started reloading in the 90's I used to wash my walnut media in a nylon stocking in the clothes washer then dry out on cookie sheet in the oven at 200f. Saving Money?? :nuts:
What a pain on top of the contamination in the washing machine!! :s0092:

:s0131:

I use crushed walnut bought from the pet store (i think my stuff is listed as bird cage medium but I'm sure it's all the same stuff) and it's so cheap (like $15 for a 12lb bag) I usually toss it after 4 or so cleanings

I usually buy #20-40 grit ground corncob from the industrial finishing place. Whenever it starts to turn a solid grey I toss it. I also wash my brass in hot soapy water with a bit of vinegar added, does a great job of cleaning the brass, extends media life, and tends to keep the brass from still feeling dirty after it's spent a fair amount of time in the tumbler.

As for polish, I still use the dillon polish... it's rather expensive at $10/bottle but it sure works the best, they add a bit of carnauba wax to it that leaves a thin later that keeps the brass from tarnishing as quickly as other polishes do (frankford arsenal is the worst for this). I'm still trying to find a good alternative case polish, most of the car waxes I've tried have worked, but end up being more expensive than the dillon stuff.

Also, for those using dillon polish, if it's not working as well, try adding a few tablespoons of paint thinner to your media before adding the brass. For those of you who tumble after sizing (with lube) try adding some alcohol or paint thinner as well, helps get all the junk off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top