JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My brothers visiting and we plan to go do some target shoots. I keep seeing this TulAmmo showing up but have not used it. Looks like case is non-brass option helping keep cost down. Neither of us re-load, so that's not consideration. Any downside to using this for some range fun time... which just got me to wonder whether the range allows this type casing... best call them today.

Tulammo is the worst of the cheapest ammo.

Wolf is better.

Tiger even better.

No experience with Bear.

Buy in bulk (1000 rounds+) to get the best discount on any brand.

I have shot quite a lot of steel cased Russian stuff - Wolf and Tula through my AR's. The cases aren't what you have to worry about wearing out your gun - that steel is softer than the steel your barrel or bolt is made from - there are claims that the bullets themselves have a steel jacket under a copper wash and are claimed to cause throat errosion. Of course this was after thousands of rounds - not just a few hundred. FWIW I have a couple thousand rounds of steel through one of my AR's and the barrel looks fine.

US ammo makers are also jumping on the steel case bandwagon because steel cases are cheaper to make.

The Russian stuff is dirty - you need a good cleaning when you're done - and one thing to consider is that if you're going to shoot ANY brass cased stuff, shoot it first and the steel last. Brass expands when you fire it. The steel doesn't and allows a bit of gas to escape back into the chamber and I've experienced and read of others who have shot steel then brass experience stuck cases / failures to extract because the chambers were just too dirty for the brass stuff after firing a bunch of steel. You can easily solve that problem though - if you take a boresnake or cleaning rod with you and scrub the chamber out between ammo types.

Of the thousands of pistol and rifle rounds I've shot from the Russian makers - I've never had an underpowered load. I've had a handful of hard primers that wouldn't go bang, but knock on wood, I've never had a squib like some guys online have said. And the Russians switched from laquer coated steel to powder/polymer coatings on their steel over a decade ago, so the issues that the old stuff had of laquer build up in the chambers is a non-issue. That stuff was nasty.

image.jpeg
Tula in a 20" .308 Remington 700 SPS

My reloads don't make that flash at all.

Hella cheap, some hard primers, go bang every time and not as accurate as reloads. Cheap plinking ammo is what they are, throw away cases since you can't reload steel.

This one is out of a Ruger American Predator (20" barrel)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For what rifle in what caliber?

Buying inexpensive steel case ammo is fine for an AK or SKS, but I have read that some ARs don't like it.

We'll be shooting 9mm, .40, .357M and maybe some .44M. Sounds like its fine for some the range and just plan on some additional post shoot cleaning.

Last Edited:
Most folks do not know that Wolf does not produce ammo they contract and a lot of the time it is made by Tula to Wolfs specs. That is why you currently see Wolf 7.62x39 coming out of Ukraine instead of Russia as the US banned imports from Russia.

I agree with others it is dirty but works. I shoot it in 9mm, 7.62x39 and 5.56 and never have had issues since they stopped using lacquer to seal the cases.

We'll be shooting 9mm, .40, .357M and maybe some .44M. Sounds like its fine for some the range and just plan on some additional post shoot cleaning.

9mm brass reloads are $80 or so for 500 rounds (posted here in the classifieds yesterday maybe)

Personally, I would troll the classified ads here to look for good ammo at a bargain price before I headed to a store to buy it.

View attachment 270558
Tula in a 20" .308 Remington 700 SPS

My reloads don't make that flash at all.

Hella cheap, some hard primers, go bang every time and not as accurate as reloads. Cheap plinking ammo is what they are, throw away cases since you can't reload steel.

This one is out of a Ruger American Predator (20" barrel)
View attachment 270559
Dang, they should be charging more for the cool light show!

No issues of Block firearms, we have also have US made AK's as well and it uses this stuff just fine. We keep brass for SHTF, but due to cost use the steel case stuff. Some firearms are real picky about what you use and some SKS's do not like the soft tips as much. Never had any issue but I also keep my firearms polished clean its some OCD thing , lol. But no issues over here. In contrast I have had 22LR fails on plinking ammo none on the 7.62x39 yet.

I've shot TulAmmo in 7.62x39 and I may have had a hand full of primer issues but for the most part, for range fun, I'd go for it. I've shot some silver bear in .223 and had some light issues with extraction but I'd still use it. I've shot WOLF in 7.62x39 and 9mm and the ran good in my AK and Glocks. I shot some brown bear 9mm in a XDS, and it had extraction issues after about 35 to 50 rounds.... so I had to clean the chamber then go about my business. Brown bear has never been an issue with my AKm47.

So personally, I'd get whatever and shoot it. And the cheaper the better because when/if you have malfunctions, you can practice tactical clearing (tap, rack, bang etc.)... mmm hmmm lol.

9mm brass reloads are $80 or so for 500 rounds (posted here in the classifieds yesterday maybe)

Personally, I would troll the classified ads here to look for good ammo at a bargain price before I headed to a store to buy it.
I saw that ad too. No name second-hands so hence "illegal/unsellable".
NW Armory right now is selling cases of 1000 Federal 115's for $220.

I've shot Tula out of a lot of different guns. Like you've heard, it's dirty and has a lot of flash. It has run fine for me in everything except for one particularly sensitive rifle. One thing you have to try is Tula in an AR pistol with a seven and a half inch barrel. The muzzle flash is awesome. :s0048: I use this stuff for shooting close in. It's pretty awful at a hundred yards but just fine inside of fifty.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top