JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So as newer owner of a AR15 I didn't get a chance to stock up on any ammo after/during building my rifle. I have a good amount of steel case ammo Tula/wolf that I managed to get under .30 a round before I couldn't afford to get any more as prices started soaring.

I hadn't gotten around to zeroing it in yet, just did function testing and fired off a few mags, but finally made it to the range to test some 5rd mags and get my everything sighted in.

I am still a newer shooter with anything other than .22 so I definitely had to shake off some flinch at first. I tried to limit how much shooting I was doing for my wallets sake and managed to get it fairly accurate after just 2 adjustments which is pretty good for me lol

What's your experience with this ammo and it's accuracy. This is only my 3rd time ever shooting at 100yds. These are 2" targets with Tula 55gr and 16" 223 Wylde barrel. Should I be expecting better? Is it just my inexperience or is this pretty good? It's hard to compare

I know this ammo isnt match grade by any means but would like to hear from more seasoned shooters.

Sorry for the long post and thanks

- Brandon

20201027_170201.jpg 20201027_170142.jpg

That's about what I'd expect out of Tula.

I have gotten better groups, but it's going to be more for training and running drills than shooting for precision groups at distance.

3"-4" groups @ 100 yds would be about the norm.

Tula works in a pinch. I personally don't use it because it tends to be excessively dirty. As stated above, 3-4" groups. I wouldn't really worry too much about it. Tula is decent for steel silhouette type training where hits count more than group size. Enjoy the new rifle!

Tula works in a pinch. I personally don't use it because it tends to be excessively dirty. As stated above, 3-4" groups. I wouldn't really worry too much about it. Tula is decent for steel silhouette type training where hits count more than group size. Enjoy the new rifle!

Thanks! Once prices drop back down I'm hoping to start stacking up my .223/556 along with my 22lr. Just finished the rifle in July so prices were already getting crazy.

Definitely want to train some more but might need to wait until I can spare the ammo, also looking into a cmmg conversion.

So as newer owner of a AR15 I didn't get a chance to stock up on any ammo after/during building my rifle. I have a good amount of steel case ammo Tula/wolf that I managed to get under .30 a round before I couldn't afford to get any more as prices started soaring.

I hadn't gotten around to zeroing it in yet, just did function testing and fired off a few mags, but finally made it to the range to test some 5rd mags and get my everything sighted in.

I am still a newer shooter with anything other than .22 so I definitely had to shake off some flinch at first. I tried to limit how much shooting I was doing for my wallets sake and managed to get it fairly accurate after just 2 adjustments which is pretty good for me lol

What's your experience with this ammo and it's accuracy. This is only my 3rd time ever shooting at 100yds. These are 2" targets with Tula 55gr and 16" 223 Wylde barrel. Should I be expecting better? Is it just my inexperience or is this pretty good? It's hard to compare

I know this ammo isnt match grade by any means but would like to hear from more seasoned shooters.

Sorry for the long post and thanks

- Brandon

View attachment 769166 View attachment 769167
Iron sights? If so, that's pretty good.

You will be able to run thousands of rounds of steel case ammo, but be aware that it is not a lead and copper bullet. It's called by-metal and has some steel properties. With the high velocity of 223 it will wear out a barrel faster than brass cased lead copper bullets. Heat is the main killer of a barrel. Groups you have look pretty standard for steel case. Pretty good job you did I think.

My 16-inch barrelled AR with a 1:8 twist produced the following at 50 yards. Sandbag on bench. Scope. I have sinus bradycardia (irregular heartbeat); cannot time so it causes the occasional flyer. That's my excuse anyway :)

No huge difference for this rifle when running Wolf Polyformance 55gr FMJ, Wolf Military HP 62gr, or Wolf Polyformance 62gr FMJ. Better grouping with brass.

Firing the rifle to test is part of the fun :)

20200125_100853 w Comments.jpg 20200125_100853 w Comments A.jpg 20200125_100853 w Comments B.jpg 20200125_100853 w Comments C.jpg 20200125_100853 w Comments D.jpg 20200125_100853 w Comments E.jpg

Tulammo 55gr .223 is $.54/rd on ammoseek as of this writing...
Read the OP:

Is reloaded plinking ammo usually better than steel case?

Depends.......what do you value your time at?

Then........some people just like doing things for themselves and it isn't too much a simple matter of money.

BTW......I frequently give away (to my son) my steel case ammo (.223 Rem and 9mm) when he is running low. He refuses to sit down and load his own. Even though I've also offered free supplies to help. Yeah.....his "free time" is valuable.

Me.....I'm retired. Yeah.....I got places to go and things to do. But somehow.....

Sheesh......kids now a days?!?!:eek:

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews