JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive got a handful of 9mm cans now. I've been offloading a bunch of stuff, or at least I'm trying to (buy my stuff already!), and I've been rearranging stuff that I have stamped. So one of the form 1 cans is getting moved to another gun and I'm thinking about tucking it under a rail. I've never done this and I'm curious to hear from everyone who has. I don't think it will ever come off, other than to clean here and there. So I think I'll stick with the Q mount. Any issues running that sort of mount 6" back under a rail? Q mounts stay tight pretty decently, but they aren't fool proof, should I get a slightly shorter rail to get some purchase on the can in the case I need to tighten it? Midwest Industries makes suppressor rails at 10" and 12.6". The barrel is 5" and the can is 8". The 12.6" rail will cover all but about 1/2" of the can. The 10 would allow a bit more to stick out.

This little guy is the one that will be getting the rail. The YHM R9 got moved to another rifle.

Any thoughts on this subject are greatly appreciated.

Reno

AAB73ADD-5EDD-4AE6-B851-DD397B5445E7.jpeg

My understanding is the handguard can get very warm right over the suppressor. If running a pistol cartridge, though, I doubt it'd be that hot

My understanding is the handguard can get very warm right over the suppressor. If running a pistol cartridge, though, I doubt it'd be that hot
The form 1 I'm going to tuck, is a 308 kit I bored out to 9mm. It's for a ton of internal volume and doesn't get that hot that fast.

Good point though. Heat could be an issue.

I have an MPX (8" barrel) that I put an over-the-barrel can on years ago. It slides inside the handguard. The can can get warm but have never noticed the HG getting hot. DO NOT put a cover over it. I had a can cover start to smoke once. You don't want that to happen inside your handguard. Make sure you can access the rifle muzzle so you can clean it when you need to. Quick connect or direct thread?

Most cans will fit inside a 1 1/2" diameter HG

Heat isn't really a problem on 9mm, unless you are full auto or binary/FRT/high rate of fire etc...
Tuck the can, but leave a couple of inches exposed for removal/cleaning.

I ran an Omega on the end of a 10.3" barrel. Used a 15" Aero handguard, and it worked well. The biggest down side was the gun could never be as compact as I ended up wanting, and the suppressor had to move to multiple hosts. It was a fun project, but I still prefer having the option of shorter firearm.

Heat was never a problem, but I never tried to cook bacon on the end of the gun, so ymmv.

20151207_184912.jpg 20151226_093017.jpg

I ran an Omega on the end of a 10.3" barrel. Used a 15" Aero handguard, and it worked well. The biggest down side was the gun could never be as compact as I ended up wanting, and the suppressor had to move to multiple hosts. It was a fun project, but I still prefer having the option of shorter firearm.

Heat was never a problem, but I never tried to cook bacon on the end of the gun, so ymmv.

View attachment 1116901View attachment 1116902
What is the ID of that Aero?

I think it was around 1.7". I don't have the upper anymore, otherwise I could give you a better answer. It was a good fit for the Omega though, didn't hit on any of the sides.
Seeing as it is an Aero upper and lower this Aero rail makes more sense.

I've never liked the idea of a round exiting the barrel behind the point where I place my hand. I have buddies who run tucked suppressors and comps but it's never been a thing I was comfortable with. My mind always goes to the "what if" scenario.

I've never liked the idea of a round exiting the barrel behind the point where I place my hand. I have buddies who run tucked suppressors and comps but it's never been a thing I was comfortable with. My mind always goes to the "what if" scenario.
You wouldn't like my speed steel PCC. The barrel is 5" with a pinned 16" sleeve. I don't even run a handguard. Just foam.

B46BF32E-803F-41AC-8A50-6DDDE4869746.jpeg

View attachment 1116901View attachment 1116902
Thanks for posting the Aero example. I ordered up a 10.7" version from Brownells. Should work out nicely.

I have a custom build 9mm AR pistol. the barrel is 4.5", and the aero quantum handguard is 7" and my Griffin Optimus fits perfectly under it with about 3" of purchase (my 9" handguard gives a little over an inch) currently direct threading suppressor/barrel. Even after a couple hundred rounds, suppressor was hot to the touch, but a quick wrap with my flannel and I could verify tightness/ change host. handguard didn't get noticeably warm.

pews.jpg

Thanks again @jblake00 for alerting me to the Aero. I ordered the rail a while back only to learn they don't include a barrel nut. Barrel nut was ordered and arrived today to my surprise. Looks good! Feels good. Much better than the itty bitty 4" rail.

2C83E99C-3971-466B-821E-EB6B6B7433A3.jpeg

Ive got a handful of 9mm cans now. I've been offloading a bunch of stuff, or at least I'm trying to (buy my stuff already!), and I've been rearranging stuff that I have stamped. So one of the form 1 cans is getting moved to another gun and I'm thinking about tucking it under a rail. I've never done this and I'm curious to hear from everyone who has. I don't think it will ever come off, other than to clean here and there. So I think I'll stick with the Q mount. Any issues running that sort of mount 6" back under a rail? Q mounts stay tight pretty decently, but they aren't fool proof, should I get a slightly shorter rail to get some purchase on the can in the case I need to tighten it? Midwest Industries makes suppressor rails at 10" and 12.6". The barrel is 5" and the can is 8". The 12.6" rail will cover all but about 1/2" of the can. The 10 would allow a bit more to stick out.

This little guy is the one that will be getting the rail. The YHM R9 got moved to another rifle.

Any thoughts on this subject are greatly appreciated.

Reno

View attachment 1111106
I use a tucked rail on my ar 9 SBR. The shortest Taccom 3g barrel. I use a 3 lug and it keeps me from burning my hands. I also have a VFG as well. Keeps me from bumping a raging hot suppressor onto a table or my hand.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top