JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife is terrified of "the big one", hence she is regularly searching for more info.
She came across this today, thought I'd put it up.
At the link, you can download the PDF maps in a zip file.
Enjoy, keep your head above water, don't piss on any high tension lines!

Of course, they had to use the cliche Facebook headline, Shocking!

New SW Washington Tsunami Maps Show 'Shocking' Flooding

At least people I talk with man don't have earthquake insurance. I got it when I moved here 22 years ago just from living thru the 1988 quake in California that almost took the house out.

Respectfully ...

Still a joke book. Not realistic. If it were there would a cry throughout the land ... for something. In Japan lots of well versed citizens gathered at government provided and located bullet proof tsunami evac zones.

Some of the evac spots used by hundreds were up to 60 feet above mean sea level. The third wave swept them all away. The maximum height run up exceeded 125 feet. Lots of Japanese died screaming.

We go to Crescent City Ca and Brookings Or. On our own we have scouted out, located and determined several alternate private tsunami evac places. The government evac locations might get you killed.

Death by tsunami has to be about the worst way to die. It is not instant. For horrible seconds you are washed, tumbled, abraded, stripped, battered, impaled, ripped and shredded BEFORE you drown.

If you actually drown. Usually you are killed by other processes before you run out of air or O2. Then add to that you can see your ultimate death approaching. You might have minutes to ponder your fate.

The very last thing you might wonder is the lack of a good survival spot well above that potential 100 foot tsunami with a 150 foot potential run up. This sounds very bleak and dispiriting. That's because it is.

Yikes! :( :(

Moderator: ... delete if ya wanna

If you want to skip the clickbait, the article does link directly to the source: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/ger_ms2018-01_tsunami_hazard_southwest_washington.zip

That particular download is SW WA only. Try this and select maps for your own area: Search | WA - DNR

And if you want to up your wife's anxiety, send her here: Geologic Hazards and the Environment | WA - DNR :D

EDIT: This is awesome -- an interactive map where you can select all sorts of geologic hazard overlays: https://geologyportal.dnr.wa.gov/#natural_hazards When you see something on the overlay, you can right click on it for detail.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top