JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I need to invest in a lockable pistol case that will pass TSA standards. It will have to be big enough fit a small automatic (e.g., Walther PPK/S) or revolver (e.g., J-frame snub) and a box of cartridges. I don't particularly care about looks, provided it meets standards so I can minimize hassles whilst traveling.

Thanks much.

Pelicans the name I think of. They have lots of smaller options that don't require a kidney donation.

TSA requires 4 rigid sides and a lock that ONLY YOU have the key for. Do not buy the "TSA locks", put your own on!

I use a Pelican replica from Harbor Freight that cost $25. Has stood up to multiple trips without an issue and never a second pause from TSA.

Also, be cautious of ammo in the same box. Some airliners have rules against this, penalty for such could be as high as no fly listing you.

Ammo can be placed in a separate container in a check on. Be prepared to have it all over the check on if TSA gets a stick up there butt. They will likely examine it and not likely give 2 poops if Ammo ends up all over your bag loose after.

I recommend not bringing Ammo and having a place in mind to purchase when onsite.

Though they are not supposed to open your box. It has been known that TSA cut locks off and opens gun boxes, then place TSA locks on it. The best way around this is to get to the airport very early. Be specific with the check in person to the point of obnoxious.

Welcome to the stupid world we live in!

Also, be cautious of ammo in the same box. Some airliners have rules against this, penalty for such could be as high as no fly listing you.

Ammo can be placed in a separate container in a check on.

I recommend not bringing Ammo and having a place in mind to purchase when onsite.

Though they are not supposed to open your box. It has been known that TSA cut locks off and opens gun boxes, then place TSA locks on it. The best way around this is to get to the airport very early. Be specific with the check in person to the point of obnoxious.

My .02, from experience leaving PDX.

I put a box of defense rounds in my case every time. It needs to be in the factory packaging (IIRC). TSA agents are absolutely NOT supposed to be cutting locks and there is no standard procedure for them to do so and replace them with TSA locks. It's never happened to me... BUT...

This guy stole 6 guns (at least) from PDX as a handler:

Baggage handler at PDX accused of stealing 6 guns from passenger's checked luggage

From what I heard, he wasn't cutting locks, but in some cases just wedging open poorly made cases.

I've not yet been asked to open my case by an airline employee on counter check in, but I'm prepared for it.

Thanks all. I just ordered a Pelican slim type handgun box that is, at least according to them, kosher for TSA purposes.

If carrying ammo is a hassle, I can always pickup some up where I am going.

Ammo can be placed in a separate container in a check on. Be prepared to have it all over the check on if TSA gets a stick up there butt. They will likely examine it and not likely give 2 poops if Ammo ends up all over your bag loose after.

Welcome to the stupid world we live in!

Depends on what genius you get that day. One guy had me load all of my magazines and lock them in the box, while I was in line at the ticket counter. I loaded five 17-round magazines with all sorts of people watching me. "Don't mind me folks, just getting ready for the flight!"

I bring it up due to my sole experience flying with a pistol.

It was without ammo in a locked case that was to be inside my checked luggage.

I had the ammo in a separate case, also to be inside my checked bag, not locked per the airlines regs.

Of coarse my luggage was throughly examined, including the vacuumed clothes bag opened for good measure to ensure no other ammo was in them. The ammo, that started in a sepperate case inside their own factory boxes, was all spread out throughout my bag like it went through a hurricane. Ammo was missing and so was a shirt somehow, I'm guess due to my vacuum bags, they couldn't fit said shirt back in and said F it.

I had a nice paper note stating my back was inspected, NO SH@T SHIRLOCK, and my pistol case was zip tied with about 10 heavy duty zip ties in all directions inside my bag. My locks were intact thankfully.

I no longer fly with guns.

I've never traveled with a firearm so I like reading these hints/tips/horror stories.

I work with a guy that was heading back East to go hunting with his brother. He checked in his rifle in it's hard case like he had done numerous times over the years. He liked to have the bolt out of his rifle and a box of his ammo set neatly packed inside the case.

He gets to his final destination and grabs his rifle case. He opens it just to make sure everything made it safely.

The first thing he noticed was the bolt was installed in the rifle. THEN he noticed 3 rounds missing from his once-full box of ammo.

He went straight to the counter to complain. Everyone he spoke with denied that any wrong doing's could have been done with "their airline". o_O:rolleyes:

Needless to say he expected a knock on his door at any time from a 3-letter agency for the longest time.

I bring it up due to my sole experience flying with a pistol.

It was without ammo in a locked case that was to be inside my checked luggage.

I had the ammo in a separate case, also to be inside my checked bag, not locked per the airlines regs.

Must of been awhile ago... that's a no-no now. The pistol must be in it's own checked luggage, not to be put in other luggage.

TSA said:
  • Declare each firearm each time you present it for transport as checked baggage. Ask your airline about limitations or fees that may apply.
  • Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.
  • Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Replica firearms, including firearm replicas that are toys, may be transported in checked baggage only.
  • Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage.

I know you used to be able to do that, and just pick it up off the conveyor belt at the end... but now you have to go to the TSA desk at your destination and retrieve the firearm.

Ya it was a long time ago. Maybe 6 years ago I think. Or longer. I was still in Nevada. You were able to check the firearm in a locked container in your checked luggage. I think it was southwest.

Never have done this and TSA / Airlines have always preferred ammo in the same locked case as the firearm.
New "procedure" according to nice TSA person at PDX as of 1/7/19, they open gun boxes. Took an extra 45 seconds. Apparently everyone did not get the memo and it did not happen on my return flight. They can open your gun box, they usually don't. I have had them call for my key a few times. San Jose, CA seems always (after you go through security). If you are new to an airport ask the procedure. Never heard of any lock being cut off. Being obnoxious will likely result in a FAIL. Try being super nice. It's worked for me for about 120 flights with a firearm now through about 20 airports.

Ammo can be placed in a separate container in a check on.
To confirm, "check on" meaning a checked bag, not a carry on.

To the OP question, good for going with the Pelican. From speaking with dozens of TSA agents and asking for their opinions and problems they see, it seems that the #1 issue is with flimsy cases, using a single lock. Get two (not TSA) locks, keyed the same (and remember not to leave the spare in your checked bag). For extra protection (not required) get a thin bike lock type cable and wrap this around something in your luggage (like the post for the handle inside) and lock your gun case to this. Fool proof? No, but helpful. Further? Place one of the 50 gun locks you have lying around on your gun inside the case. Not required but my personal extra level of protection so someone doesn't get to use my gun to shoot up an airport.

Airlines have specific weight limits on ammo so check this as well, commonly runs around 11 pounds. Recommend not leaving your ammo in mags; it has worked for some but I have heard of others where it did not.

Not legal advice, check TSA.gov and your airline website for more info. These have been my experiences on Southwest, Alaska, American, United...maybe Delta, don't remember for sure.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top