JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Need to use tsa certified locks

image.jpg

Highly recommend removing ammo from magazines and placing them in a proper box. As you see below, you can, but this is an area that has caused issues with travelers in the past. Note it states ammo must, "completely enclose the ammunition." Since the top round would not fall under this definition, now you have to find a way to enclose the enclosure.

Carrying ammo only falls under a strange area in that firearms must be in a locked case but ammo (see second bullet point below) may either be in the locked case with a gun or "securely boxed". Check the airline as well, as they can have additional rules. Although I have not seen where it states you must declare ammo in your luggage, (like we do with firearms), my thought is that it would seem prudent.

Agree with @Caveman Jim that a gun box does not need TSA locks, however, with just transporting ammo this is not really addressed. To me the implication would be it is not considered a firearm so TSA locks (if any) may need to be used. I hate TSA locks as they break within about three flights...always, so I use zip ties and place a spare baggie of extras in the top of my suitcase for TSA to use (they often have their own). I use two matched key padlocks on my gun case inside the suitcase but sounds like this will not be your issue.

Final pro tip I can offer, arrive early, be exceptionally polite and show you are trying to do the right thing. In 150+ flights with firearms this has served me well.

Below from TSA website

Ammunition

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

Highly recommend removing ammo from magazines and placing them in a proper box. As you see below, you can, but this is an area that has caused issues with travelers in the past. Note it states ammo must, "completely enclose the ammunition." Since the top round would not fall under this definition, now you have to find a way to enclose the enclosure.

Carrying ammo only falls under a strange area in that firearms must be in a locked case but ammo (see second bullet point below) may either be in the locked case with a gun or "securely boxed". Check the airline as well, as they can have additional rules. Although I have not seen where it states you must declare ammo in your luggage, (like we do with firearms), my thought is that it would seem prudent.

Agree with @Caveman Jim that a gun box does not need TSA locks, however, with just transporting ammo this is not really addressed. To me the implication would be it is not considered a firearm so TSA locks (if any) may need to be used. I hate TSA locks as they break within about three flights...always, so I use zip ties and place a spare baggie of extras in the top of my suitcase for TSA to use (they often have their own). I use two matched key padlocks on my gun case inside the suitcase but sounds like this will not be your issue.

Final pro tip I can offer, arrive early, be exceptionally polite and show you are trying to do the right thing. In 150+ flights with firearms this has served me well.

Below from TSA website

Ammunition

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.
Seriously, at the time I flew, my carrier stated to tape the magazines to cover any exposed ammunition or place ammunition in original packaging.
Easy peasy, duct tape to the rescue.

Seriously, at the time I flew, my carrier stated to tape the magazines to cover any exposed ammunition or place ammunition in original packaging.
Easy peasy, duct tape to the rescue.
Oh, and I don't doubt that at all. But the next person may have a different interpretation of "completely enclose" and I would hate to be at the airport without something that would satisfy their requirements. I fly enough that it would be bound to happen. Risk exposure reduction for me. :cool:

Agreed.
That was one reason that I copied and highlighted each and every step they required and I complied with. Hard to argue with the facts when they are in black and white in front of them.

Nowadays there are the "woke" and facts don't mean bubblegum to them… :mad::mad::mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top