JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a WA resident . Want to travel on an airline and transport a shotgun with me. Some confusion about TSA requirements for the case. TSA says a "hard case , locked, keys in your possession" etc.

Some forums say the case cannot be a simple plastic case like a Plano or Flambeau. However nothing on the TSA websites says plastic cases are not allowed. There is even a video of a guy shown locking his plastic case and carrying it to check point.

So , my question is : Has anybody been refused by TSA when transporting a long gun in a locked plastic case ?

in my experience as long as it can be locked in two places to prevent opening I have never been questioned. Get a good solid case like the pelican 1750 and the machines and workers who will toss your weapons case around wont damage your gear inside.

I have only flown with a long Pelican case so I can't comment on others. I will say that that the other larger issue not addressed by TSA is that they load your case on the luggage carousel and it spits out right into the public access when you arrive at your destination. Anyone could potentially just walk up and steal your case if you weren't there to physically guard/retrieve it. For all the talk libs make about "safety" that from my perspective was ridiculous.

I have only flown with a long Pelican case so I can't comment on others. I will say that that the other larger issue not addressed by TSA is that they load your case on the luggage carousel and it spits out right into the public access when you arrive at your destination. Anyone could potentially just walk up and steal your case if you weren't there to physically guard/retrieve it. For all the talk libs make about "safety" that from my perspective was ridiculous.

I fly with firearms all the time, most airlines make you pick the case up in the special baggage office now. Delta Airlines actually puts zip ties around the case before they hand it off to you.

Also, Pelican case or not. Carry your expensive glass in your carry on, don't check it.

I fly with firearms all the time, most airlines make you pick the case up in the special baggage office now. Delta Airlines actually puts zip ties around the case before they hand it off to you.

Also, Pelican case or not. Carry your expensive glass in your carry on, don't check it.

I wonder how unnerved the Delta employee would be if you upon taking possession of the case immediately pulled out a pair of scissors and snipped the z-ties off and handed them back.

My flying with a rifle took place more than 5 years ago, it seems it may have changed since then like you said.

I wonder how unnerved the Delta employee would be if you upon taking possession of the case immediately pulled out a pair of scissors and snipped the z-ties off and handed them back.

My flying with a rifle took place more than 5 years ago, it seems it may have changed since then like you said.

No Z-ties involved when I checked baggage with a gun in it.

Flying into Michigan they held my rifle case in a special area for me to pick up. My pistols, in a locked case, were in a suitcase and came out on the regular carousel. Go figure.

Thanks to all who responded with advice. Scored a very strong used Plano PROMAX case for 30 bucks that will hold two guns and has internal cross bars and pillars to prevent crushing. Internet advice is to drill two extra holes in the ends to add two more locks so TSA wont complain..This is what I am going to do plus insurance

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top