JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This story has nothing to do with the 2A. It's about trying to conceal a weapon and its ammunition (in a manner they knew to be illegal) and have it loaded onto a passenger jet. Now you CAN transport this stuff in checked baggage. But there are rules. For example, doesn't look like the ammo was in a hard case, or stored in the magazine where the ammo is completely enclosed. You have to do that. And the guys who tried this KNEW that New Jersey has some gun laws going about assault weapons. So if you do that...and try to conceal it...you are just asking for it.

Look, I'm not in favor of some of these laws any more than you probably are. But trying to get past the TSA by sitting home and creating a phony suitcase to do it anyway...is just plain stupid. These guys KNEW better. They had to. If not, they wouldn't have bothered with designing their own suitcase to do it. So they got what they had coming to them. Foolish people like this make legit and law-abiding gun owners look bad, plus more bad press hits the airwaves.

Found it:

4b71-89ec-f9b34df18bda__38684.1502559957.1280.1280.jpg

When the TSA officers detected the weapon and ammunition, they immediately alerted the Port Authority Police, who tracked down the passenger, a resident of East Orange, and his traveling companion, who were in the terminal near their departing gate.

"Our TSA officers are very skilled at detecting firearms and other prohibited items,"

Then why the F did you give them back their bag and allow them to go to the gate when you knew they had a weapon in the bag?

Can't you turn off the little conveyor belt and call the heavies in? If the SOP for TSA is to allow the weapons into the airport, what in the actual bubblegum. Security theater to another level.

It's not security theater. Airliners have been hijacked. People have died. I hate to say this, but some of you forget that if the TSA loosened the rules and stopped looking at baggage, you or your family could easily become victims.

I'm not a big fan of Feds, but even I know that certain safety rules are better for everyone if you plan on climbing to 30,000 feet at hundreds of miles an hour, and trusting the system you will get to your destination in one piece. Or your wife. Or your daughter coming home to visit for Christmas.

Those guys in New Jersey...all they did was make legit gun owners look bad. You should not celebrate this. When you start sitting home and cutting yourself some phony suitcase to transport rifles and ammo illegally on a public transport, you deserve what you get. This kind of stuff only gives the anti-gun folks more fodder. Don't support irresponsible actions. It makes you more responsible regarding guns if you don't.

Let's face it. Would any of YOU be foolish enough to try what those two did? As for me, not in a million years.

Last Edited:
So another Mensa runner up I guess. A simple search would tell them they X-Ray the damn bags so they really thought if they put that in the lining it would somehow work? Some criminals sure make the Cops work easy :s0140:

They could have flown into a nearby state and then taken a bus/train/etc. to NJ
If they are so stupid they thought this little scheme would work it's a stretch to wonder why they did not just drive the gun and ammo in. As so often happens the criminals make the cops job very easy for them. I very much doubt if they were flying to a state that was OK with the gun they would have done it the right way, declare it with the TSA. If they had not tried to hide the guns I would guess maybe they really did not know the law but, then trying to hide the damn guns and ammo says they seem to have known they were trying to pull one over on the law.
Last time I flew I had an M series Taser in my bag. When I got to where I was going there was a card in the case from the TSA saying they were looking out for me and such by checking. I am sure the Taser looked like a hand gun to them. When I got home I could tell they had again opened the case but this time they did not put the little love letter in there to tell me they had :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top