JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They could have flown into a nearby state and then taken a bus/train/etc. to NJ
They could have packed the firearm and ammo a bit differently (not much), declared it at check-in, and probably have had a nice flight. If NJ was their final destination there is some chance they might have run afoul of NJ authorities, but passengers and bags don't pass through TSA on the way OUT of the airport.

A "high-powered magazine"?? Where can we buy summa those?? And an "arsenal in a bag"?:s0001:Wow!

It's not security theater. Airliners have been hijacked. People have died. I hate to say this, but some of you forget that if the TSA loosened the rules and stopped looking at baggage, you or your family could easily become victims.

I'm not a big fan of Feds, but even I know that certain safety rules are better for everyone if you plan on climbing to 30,000 feet at hundreds of miles an hour, and trusting the system you will get to your destination in one piece. Or your wife. Or your daughter coming home to visit for Christmas.

Those guys in New Jersey...all they did was make legit gun owners look bad. You should not celebrate this. When you start sitting home and cutting yourself some phony suitcase to transport rifles and ammo illegally on a public transport, you deserve what you get. This kind of stuff only gives the anti-gun folks more fodder. Don't support irresponsible actions. It makes you more responsible regarding guns if you don't.

Let's face it. Would any of YOU be foolish enough to try what those two did? As for me, not in a million years.
It is theater. It does not actually stop much. Trust me in that I have gotten non prohibited items on that could easily contain a weapon or be the weapon. Try a chunk of a mineral specimen weighing 40 pounds.

TSA:

DcHzxQWW4AAkZmE.jpg

When the TSA officers detected the weapon and ammunition, they immediately alerted the Port Authority Police, who tracked down the passenger, a resident of East Orange, and his traveling companion, who were in the terminal near their departing gate.

"Our TSA officers are very skilled at detecting firearms and other prohibited items,"

Then why the F did you give them back their bag and allow them to go to the gate when you knew they had a weapon in the bag?

Can't you turn off the little conveyor belt and call the heavies in? If the SOP for TSA is to allow the weapons into the airport, what in the actual bubblegum. Security theater to another level.
I believe they must have checked the bag and were not trying to carry it onto the llane

Pistol ammo? I might be questioning why pistol ammo and with no pistols. Maybe start looking a little more to find something more?

In these times, either these people just crawled out from under a rock or they were planning on doing something......

This story has nothing to do with the 2A. It's about trying to conceal a weapon and its ammunition (in a manner they knew to be illegal) and have it loaded onto a passenger jet. Now you CAN transport this stuff in checked baggage. But there are rules. For example, doesn't look like the ammo was in a hard case, or stored in the magazine where the ammo is completely enclosed. You have to do that. And the guys who tried this KNEW that New Jersey has some gun laws going about assault weapons. So if you do that...and try to conceal it...you are just asking for it.

Look, I'm not in favor of some of these laws any more than you probably are. But trying to get past the TSA by sitting home and creating a phony suitcase to do it anyway...is just plain stupid. These guys KNEW better. They had to. If not, they wouldn't have bothered with designing their own suitcase to do it. So they got what they had coming to them. Foolish people like this make legit and law-abiding gun owners look bad, plus more bad press hits the airwaves.

This story has everything to do with ramping up anti-gun rhetoric. You think when they mention high-powered magazines they got the rest of the facts correct? Or didn't spin it to further a narrative? Stop swallowing everything the media spoon feeds you. YOU are part of the problem. "Hey guys I hate the awful gummint as much as you do but the TSA is good people that keep us safe." So much cringe in your post.

It reads more like someone just thru a bunch of word salad together not know what was what, but thinking it sounded good.

Writer: Boss, I know nothing about guns, what do I write for this?

Editor: Here, read these blurbs on guns we have written in the past.

Writer: Copy/paste, jumble and mix it up so as not to explicitly plagaraize.

Given the NJ laws against AR's I think it was foolish to try
They HAD to know that luggage gets x-rayed That's been common knowledge for 40 or 50 years. They should have driven the guns out of NJ, instead of trying to play James Bond.
If they'd spent minutes on the internet looking up the requirements of flying with firearms and ammo, instead of wasting hours on their suitcase gag, they'd have realized their plan was a loser.
They could have just driven to Philadelphia and flown their gear out like a regular citizen.
Yes, New Jersey has horrible laws, but until NJ citizens fight to get them changed, they're stuck with them and need to know those laws in order to protect themselves from them

It's not security theater. Airliners have been hijacked. People have died. I hate to say this, but some of you forget that if the TSA loosened the rules and stopped looking at baggage, you or your family could easily become victims.

It's most certainly security theater. Capability, opportunity, intent. TSA screens based on capability but there's always a way someone that wants to do something bad that will outsmart the dopes.

A much more effective method is to screen for intent.

Everytime you no longer have to take your shoes or jacket off because the line is too long or there are not enough agents, it's security theater. Ineffective measures that are easily blown.

Yeah we need security but the TSA is terrible at providing it.

Those guys in New Jersey....
The article said: and her companion. So are you claiming they are transgender:D

My question is why are federal employees enforcing NJ state law? As far as the magazine being loaded, that is how I transport ammo when I fly with my handguns, unless it is still in a factory or plastic box. The only possible federal offense that I see is possibly failing to declare that she was traveling with a firearm and the suitcase not being secured by a lock. I say possible because the article was silent on these issues.

Then why the F did you give them back their bag and allow them to go to the gate when you knew they had a weapon in the bag?
The article clearly states the item was found in CHECKED baggage. See para 2.
They could have flown into a nearby state and then taken a bus/train/etc. to NJ

The article clearly states they were DEPARTING NJ. See para 3.

It would be interesting to know where they were going.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top