JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Original article here: http://oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/08.10.08alert.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]08/10/08

In just the latest attack on American's freedom,the TSA Is considering a ban on firearms in the non-secure areas of our nations airports.The irony of one of the most abusive and unprofessional government agencies declaring that trained, law-abiding Americans will have even more of their rights stripped from them should outrage all gun owners, and anyone who has had the misfortune to travel by air in the last few years.

(A Google search with the words "TSA Abuses" returns 755,000 hits.)

As you know, Oregon Firearms Federation has had a long battle with the Port of Portland over their totally unlawful policy of banning CHL holders from bringing firearms into the non-secure parts of the airport.

Because of this policy, OFF members have twice defeated the Port's efforts to expand their police powers. Most recently, in the 2007 session, your activism scuttled that attempt despite the efforts of the soon-to-be-gone Greg MacPherson to keep the bill alive with backroom parliamentary gambits.

Last October, House Rep Jeff Barker, who sponsored the bill, and then did all he could to make sure the bill would die when he learned of the Port's unlawful policy, informed us that the Port had told him they were changing the rule to comply with state law. There are still signs posted in the entrances to the airport saying "no weapons" but they do not include the phrase "with or without permits" any longer.

But now, the Bush administration may reverse all your hard work with a sweeping national mandate that will not only violate states' rights, but put you and your family in greater danger when you travel to the airport.

To try to sell this as a security concern is laughable considering what a monstrous waste of time the TSA's abusive shakedowns are. Women and the elderly are regularly subjected to embarrassing and arbitrary searches for purely theatrical purposes. People in wheelchairs are stripped of their shoes and children's toys are confiscated. Meanwhile the number of <broken link removed>attributed to the minimum wage quality rent-a-cops employed by TSA is huge and growing.

Now these bunglers and crooks want to prevent you from picking up or dropping off your family while in possession of your self defense firearm.

While he has been no friend to gun owners, it is imperative that Gordon Smith hear from you about this latest attack on your rights. Smith, who is running for reelection, has moved his campaign well to the left to appeal to the anti-gun crowd, but he cannot win election without the votes of gun owners.

Please contact Smith and let him know that you expect him to use his office to oppose any more attempts by the Bush administration and the TSA to further erode your rights.[/FONT]

They're trying this in Atlanta, I believe. I don't know about other states, but Washington RCW includes language that refers to public ingress/egress points and divides Airport property at the security checkpoint for purposes of being armed. It will be interesting to see how it pans out, but I'm putting $5 on "failure," just because I feel lucky and no other reason.

I tested for a spot with TSA, it was a long drawn out process since it is with the Dept of Homeland Security, I passed every background, aced skills, etc, basicaly had the job, just had a simple final interview with senior members to rubber stamp me and for reasons they would not state I was rejected. To the best of my understanding I feel it was simply a personality issue, (theirs being the dead fish type).

Durring the process I noted the attitude of TSA, it is typical DHS, distracted & overly paranoid where it doesn't matter, completely asleep at the wheel where it counts, to compare them to the keystone cops would be an insult to the keystones.

I finaly understood why durring govt tests they continualy let guns and explosives go through while confiscating water bottles and nail clippers!

going thru security one fine day they wanted to take my pocket knife whie letting some gal thru with a 5 iron on her shoulder. I told the jerk if i wanted a weapon i would prefer the five iron over the little pocket knife anytime.

Oregon let the camel's nose under the tent some years ago when
a gun group convinced owners to avoid stricter laws to close the
gun show loop hole. To all our representatives, NO NEW GUN LAWS
To all those in high population densities, replace all those lefties before
there are no oceans to fish or firearms to use, and the land goes to
those criminals who decide to live here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top