JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't had a dip since February 26th. Wasnt so bad the first week since I was on a cruise and had a constant BAC of .2 or higher. Its getting progressively worse though. Me and Copenhagen have been friends since I was 14. Now, I am constantly on a hair trigger mood wise. I haven't taken it out on anyone, but I've gone on a couple drives here and there blasting Du Hast and giving pedestrians dirty looks.

When does it end?

My first chew was at 14 as well. A friend gave me a dip, told me what to do and off we went on our bikes.

Wow, what a head rush! About 2 minutes later I crashed that bike and started puking. I guess I was lucky.

My brother has chewed, off and on for decades. I think he now smokes.

I quit drinking every year at new years and won't start again until spring (about now, btw) and I replace my drinking habbit with tea. It works very well for me. Maybe replace your chew with gum? Jerky? Cinnamon toothpicks or something?

Anyway, good luck :)

Is it the lack of nicotine or that you don't have that replacement for the chew? If the latter, this works for me.
image.jpg

Friend of mine told me the worst was over after a month, then it was wierd dreams for a while. Hang in there brother!

I was able to quit drinking and smoking with nutritional therapy. I know that sounds crunchy and Portland, but you know what ? It worked. After 9/11 I found myself eating pretty poorly, working super long hours, and drinking a little more often than I'd like to. While the city I was in was becoming a constrictive Police state. I came to Portland before it became a city raptured in fast-forward growth, increased dysfunction, and absolutely pervasive squalor.

Moving on...with a working knowledge of our mind-gut connection - I began eating healthier and targeting intake of the amino acids that I needed to replenish. Smoking, drinking, eating crap food, trauma, - they all take tolls on us. Deplete the good stuff in our bodies. This compromises our immune system and our mind. Long story short - through learning what I eat - I was able to figure out how to stop these two addictions. Small things like not keeping alcohol in the house become mundane. Then I began eliminating foods like ice cream, heavily processed food and cookies (the good stuff, but in moderation) from my pantry / fridge. It takes incredible willpower at first - and still takes some now - but I'm able to do it. I go out for the above items once a week or so, that way I can justify going overboard and eating a huge dessert :)
Since I curbed the alcohol intake, I don't have a tolerance of any kind so one beer and that's it. Sometimes one beer a month. Really!

I replaced the physicalities of being addicted to drinking and smoking with 40-50mi bike rides - and lots of range time. I thank Oregon for that. I thank God for my sanity to leave the physical / mental state I was in.

I tried dipping (my way-back machine is apparently out of order) at age 11. No thanks. As a teen I picked up my parents filthy habit of smoking. 42 years later I tossed them out the window. MANY TIMES prior, and caved. I tried everything to get off the dang things. I think nicotine effects everyone differently. Meaning their receptors. The uptake of it all is/was hard for me to over come, but, I won, and knocked that monkey off my shoulders. With dipping, that stuff is like taking a straight shot right to the veins.

Drinking lots of water helped me. I haven't had a stick in near 7 years now.

Stick to your plan. It is tough. Eventually it gets easier.
As for the crankiness and people, it's part of the conditioning.

Try cigars. While they take a bit longer to smoke, they are often used as a transition from cigs. They come in different sizes for quicker consumption. Corona or Petit Corona's are small, quick smokes. It's a different experience than other forms of tobacco though. Also, unless you're a badass or really pissed at something, don't inhale. It will be painful.

I haven't had a dip since February 26th. Wasnt so bad the first week since I was on a cruise and had a constant BAC of .2 or higher. Its getting progressively worse though. Me and Copenhagen have been friends since I was 14. Now, I am constantly on a hair trigger mood wise. I haven't taken it out on anyone, but I've gone on a couple drives here and there blasting Du Hast and giving pedestrians dirty looks.

When does it end?

Feel for you, great that you are doing it, there is no real easy way sadly. At least there was not for me. By now if you tried the same "dose" you used to use it would probably be waaayyyy too much but, you still want it. I used tobacco for several decades. Took several failed tries to stop. I tried the "wean yourself off" and the cold turkey. Neither seemed better to me but everyone finds different results. Now days if you want to try to wean yourself off I would try one of those Vape Pens. If those had been invented before I quite I know I would have tried one. You can does just a little nicotine to try to take the edge off. Of course if not careful soon you can be hooked all over again though. It's well worth the battle once it's over so hang in there. Your family will be glad you did as they no doubt want you around for a long time :)

When does it end?
are you trying to quit tobacco or quit nicotine?

i dipped grizzly from 15-29 with a couple "breaks" in between. best way to quit altogether is cold turkey.

ZYN pouches helped me quit tobacco because zyn has nicotine in it. i went from using 12mg at a time down to 9mg and now 6mg.

at age 29 i wanted to quit tobacco completely when my 2nd son was born but still get a nic fix. i tried these and havent had any tobacco since.

that was 2 yrs ago.

I don't know if its the nicotine, sensation of a dip in my lip, or both. I find myself looking for it with my tongue. I also feel like I have no patience anymore. Almost like I'm instantly ADHD.

MANY, who quite smoking said they needed something to do with their hands. Would try different things for that. It was not for me, I wanted the damn drug :) Suspect what you are really looking for is the release of the drug (nicotine) into the blood. Sure could not hurt to try some of the stuff DB showed that has no Nicotine. See if having it would lessen the withdrawal symptoms. Chances are though that you just have to let the brain get over the "want" for the Nicotine. Damn stuff is amazing at how long the brain keeps telling you it wants it when you cut it off.

When does it end?

Dude, I so feel your pain. I chewed for a similar time frame and it was so dang hard to quit - every fun activity I had was associated with having a chew. I used nicorette gum to slowly taper off, as I was a rage monster otherwise. It made it somewhat 'easy', and as long as you stick to your tapering-off schedule it's a much kinder option (to yourself and everyone who has to deal with you).

I was the same way, just needed the physical dip in. I chewed nicotine gum and got the Smokey Mountain. After awhile, 6 months I was off nicotine.
I wish you well, cold turkey is best but it didn't work for me.

cold turkey is best but it didn't work for me.

Wish I had known about that smokey mountain when I quit chewing, that plus the nicorette would have made a much smother transition. I actually think a gradual method is much better than cold turkey, as it allows you to overcome the multiple, intertwined habits that are part chewing or smoking without being overwhelming. Nicorette allows you to slowly break the nicotine addiction, and the Smokey Mountain would do the same for the mechanical part of the habit.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top